Quantcast

Jiminy Peak

ragdoll

Chimp
Dec 21, 2004
Hudson Falls, NY
Anyone know what the conditions are for the DH trails there? I was thinking of going this weekend...not sure if I want to make thr trek all the way down to Platty or Diablo.

adstock

Chimp
Sep 12, 2006
It's usually rubbish until around July since they care more about the new ropes course than the MTB trails.. You'll literally get yelled at if you don't walk the bike at the bottom too... or ride the fireroads towards the bottom of the mtn by the ropes course so the ppl can walk to the ropes without fear!!

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I used to be the biggest Jiminy booster on earth but the mountain is so boned out now that it's sort of disappointing. The trail crew(volunteers) never got any respect or resources from the mountain and now the trails are basically un-maintained since the dirt has vanished from most trails.
The summer amenities have thrashed some of my favorite trails too. It's one of the only places that's open during the week(with only 700 feet of vert from the small lift). The little lift is slow and the trail options are limited but it's pretty nice to take a Wednesday off to go into the Berkshires and shred for a bit.

I went one time last year. For a while I was riding there three days a week.
There are rumors and rumblings about other mountains in Southern New England stepping up to full-time lift operations but owners are still a little shy of the ~$1500 it takes to pay for electricity and lifties for a day of riding.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah, i used to love that place and the left side of the mountain (looking up) is pretty steep and rocky while the right is pretty smooth and flowy...made for a great amount of variety...

...until the stopped giving a damn and the trails got eroded. Plus, the lift will SMASH your bike when it arrives at the top.

Skip it and go elsewhere. midweek riding isn't worth it their either, unless you have NOTHING else to do.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
I uesd to love Jiminy 5 years ago. Really fun mountain but have not been there since. Its too bad it was a great place to ride

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Ragdoll, Platty is looking good for me on Sunday, care to do a rehab ride?

PS, Jiminy Peak - yeah man, don't do it. Even if close proximity tempts you, remember that you will be on the small lift with all the kiddies. Big lift doesn;t open till July 4 weekend.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Another thought, though trail conditions may be as dubious as Jiminy: West Mtn is open on weekends for biking. "Races" every Saturday, or so it says on their site.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Another thought, though trail conditions may be as dubious as Jiminy: West Mtn is open on weekends for biking. "Races" every Saturday, or so it says on their site.
Ha Ha NO !!!!

DO NOT BELIEVE WHAT"S ON WEST MOUNTAINS SITE. THEY ARE NOT OPEN.

Just give them a call. They will open with an appointment and a prepay for 15 riders.:rofl:

adstock

Chimp
Sep 12, 2006
PS, Jiminy Peak - yeah man, don't do it. Even if close proximity tempts you, remember that you will be on the small lift with all the kiddies. Big lift doesn;t open till July 4 weekend.
Yea in that case, definitely no. That lift sucks :rofl:

ragdoll

Chimp
Dec 21, 2004
Hudson Falls, NY
Voodoo is correct! West has some BS prepay for an amount of riders guaranteed before they will consider opening the lifts. I could be up for Platty on Sunday if you interested give me a call.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Voodoo is correct! West has some BS prepay for an amount of riders guaranteed before they will consider opening the lifts. I could be up for Platty on Sunday if you interested give me a call.
Will do shortly, need to clear up a few tings before the w/e and see how the knuckle fares.

Ha Ha NO !!!!

DO NOT BELIEVE WHAT"S ON WEST MOUNTAINS SITE. THEY ARE NOT OPEN.

Just give them a call. They will open with an appointment and a prepay for 15 riders.:rofl:
Lord...I drove by West yesterday. My son said, "that mountain looks just like Plattekill!". I didn't have the heart to tell 'em.