Quantcast

jogging & cramps

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
ok so for 4 months I was hitting the gym 2-3 times a week, doing about 45 min's on the treadmill & this cardio hiker, and I NEVER got any cramps. So 10 days ago I entered and ran in a 5K and around 1.25 miles in a got a cramp(right side just under my ribs), I slowed down but it just got worse and didnt go away until after the race.

So yesterday was the first time I went back to the gym, and after 5 min's on the treadmill I got a cramp in the same spot and I was jogging slower than normal..............so why would I get that cramp now when in the previous 4 months I was cramp free?

Lost Coyote

Chimp
Jan 30, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Originally posted by douglas
.... got a cramp(right side just under my ribs), I slowed down but it just got worse and didnt go away until after the race.

So yesterday was the first time I went back to the gym, and after 5 min's on the treadmill I got a cramp in the same spot and I was jogging slower than normal..............so why would I get that cramp now when in the previous 4 months I was cramp free?

What you're getting is commonly called a stitch. There are lots of opinions as to their cause including my two favorites:

Too much fluid in your stomach (extra weight puts stress on diaphragm)

Breathing too shallow and not totally displacing everything out of the lungs

I used to get stitches and found relief by:

Raising your arm on the side where the stitch occurs and concentrating on exhaling everything out of the lungs (exaggerate your exhale to totally empty the lung). The raising of the arm helps relax the diaphragm.

Don't drink as much before your run.

good luck

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I am not going to say that dehydration is not the cause - it might be but I don't think so. Hydration issues are usually associated with efforts lasting longer than 60 minutes. A 5K race is 20 to 25 minutes for most runners... sometimes side stitches just happen, for me they used to happen when I didn't stretch my torso adequately before a run.

It is my experience is that the problem will eventually go away on it's own and you won't be able to pin down the exact cause.

For your next 5K race go out and run 2 miles at 2 minutes below your projected race pace... time your warm up to end 20 minutes before the start of the race. In that 20 minutes slowly sip about 8 to 12 ounces of cold water. Warm fluid does not absorb as fast as cold fluid and may cause discomfort.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by douglas
thanks!

more info on cramps/stiches:
http://www.trailrunningusa.com/sideache.html
Hmmmm, no one knows for sure... :D

My breathing technique for short fast races is very similar to what that site recommends...

I inhale 'twice' to insure maximum capacity and exhale long and slow through pursed lips making certain that my method maintains back pressure in my lungs. It like - normal breath, deeper breath - followed by a very controlled, forceful exhalation. Very difficult to describe in words... I don't do it for side stitches though, I do it for maximum VO2 conversion.

A tip for momentum that works exceptionally well for fast sprints and hill climbing:

Imagine that you are pulling yourself forward with a rope, lean forward into your stride and extend your arm (palm open) as though you were reaching for a rope - grasp the rope (make a fist) and pull back forcefully. Alternate with each arm opposite your extended leg. This may feel strange at first but the exagerated motions will help you to creat a natural stride that uses your entire body for forward momemtum. The movements required for the rope pulling can also be helpful in training your lungs for maximum capacity.

Apr 11, 2003
The Dark Side
:cool: Cool - I'm going to try these tips since I too sometimes suffer a stitch when I'm running. Fortunately I've never had one so bad that I had to stop, but they are uncomfortable. Thanks :thumb:

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
reviving this thread, I took a ride yesterday on my bike and it felt like someone stabbed me in the gut.

All others described the pain while running, has anyone ever had it while cycling?

julio

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by jmvar
reviving this thread, I took a ride yesterday on my bike and it felt like someone stabbed me in the gut.
Were you on a road bike? If so it was probably just another example of roadie hatred perpetrated by inconsiderate SUV drivers.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Originally posted by jmvar

All others described the pain while running, has anyone ever had it while cycling?

julio

heck yes, but not so much this year

deep breaths & every few exhales pursed would help me

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I'm not sure where everyone else is on this, but when I started running XC in highschool I got bad side aches especially towards the end of practice. I tried drinking lots of water, but that just hurt to run with.

I read an article in Runner's World that said adding a pinch of salt to a bottle of water helped stop cramping up while working out. I started doing that and having peanut butter on my toast in the morning(extra dose of salt), as well as salting my food a bit more. A week after I had no side aches. Gave the same advice to a friend who had leg cramps, he stopped having leg cramps all season. It isn't too hard to add the salt and it really seemed to help. Might want to try that out.

The Ito