Quantcast

John Jacob Jingle Hammer Schmidt!

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
OK, Crankworx has come and gone, so now all of us that have ridden these things and have full the tech specs can respond to some questions:

1. The frame must have ISCG tabs (new or old). An adapter won't cut it.
2. This will not work with bikes that don't have clearance for the shift cable at the DT/BB junction at 4-6 o'clock. That eliminates some bikes with lots of forgings or links down there.
3. It does not have chain tensioning features, just retention.
4. It is wider and heavier than a deraileur setup, but it shifts instantenoulsy, and has very little mechanical drag.

A pretty cool product, not something I can find a need for in my own personal riding world, but I can think of pretty of people who will be stoked on it.

Don't expect much more in the next 2 years or so from Sram on the planetary gears front. They spent a TON of money on this project, and the Imotion gearhub project the last 3 years....

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
II got a chance to ride the HammerSchmidt a few months ago down in SLO (where the Truvativ facility is located). I was supposed to have an article ready for today (up on Pinkbike) but my 80+ hour work weeks (real day job) has delayed that a bit. stay tuned...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I want.

Maybe they're gearing up for a rear hub as well? Perhaps a rear hub with a lower number of gears, maybe 4 or 5 to save space combined with the HammerSchmidt...

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
I guess the whole reason I was excited about a gearbox would be to eliminate the rear der. not the front. Seems like a cool innovation but it's the rear that really needs dealt with IMO.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
yay guess its not ment for the masses! the best $800 crankset available and it weighs the most. im sorry but for $800 there are SO many more things i can get to upgrade a bike. This looks like something the gearmonkeys will buy but the practicalmonkey will pass on.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
I guess the whole reason I was excited about a gearbox would be to eliminate the rear der. not the front. Seems like a cool innovation but it's the rear that really needs dealt with IMO.
yep. the added expense / weight / complexity to address the less problematic half of the current two-transmission (dérailleur) system is a bit disappointing. we need the big guys to focus their efforts on one universal lightweight / burly box. rohloff is close - it CAN be done.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Looks to me like a great solution to a lot of frame designs that really didn't have a proper place for a front derailleur. E-types don't work on all designs either.

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
I think the Hamm (aka Hammer Schmidt) will work well on my Splinter MX. When I decide to strip it down this winter I'll probably order one up. I have an eternal soft-spot for planetary gear transmissions.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
yep. the added expense / weight / complexity to address the less problematic half of the current two-transmission (dérailleur) system is a bit disappointing. we need the big guys to focus their efforts on one universal lightweight / burly box. rohloff is close - it CAN be done.
And in my mind it has to happen at the Rear hub. All the BOXX type transmissions are just too restrictive on the suspension designs. Cut the weight of a Rohloff in half and get a 12mm axle through it and we are done with derailleurs.

where is that belt driven CVT rear hub at?

Last edited:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I think the Hamm (aka Hammer Schmidt) will work well on my Splinter MX. When I decide to strip it down this winter I'll probably order one up. I have an eternal soft-spot for planetary gear transmissions.
Unfortunately, I think the clamshell will get in the way of the cable routing. It won't shift:rant:... I agree, it would be great on that bike though!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Spent a full day riding hammerschmidt today in pemberton (as well as Elixir CR brakes). More photos and such later, but basically, it's rad.

Planetary gear that gets engaged/disengaged by a shift from a special XO/X9 shifter. You get instantaneous engagement, like INSTANT. Its pretty rad for those holy crap you need more gear moments.

It uses a half isis/half howitzer BB. Uses proper (up to proper spec) iscg tabs to anchor it to the frame. Its about 10-160g heavier than a standard setup (freeride or all mountain setups) It will run about $650 by the time it is all said and done (cranks/BB/Shifter + 2 chainrings and 2 guides).

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Spent a full day riding hammerschmidt today in pemberton (as well as Elixir CR brakes). More photos and such later, but basically, it's rad.

Planetary gear that gets engaged/disengaged by a shift from a special XO/X9 shifter. You get instantaneous engagement, like INSTANT. Its pretty rad for those holy crap you need more gear moments.

It uses a half isis/half howitzer BB. Uses proper (up to proper spec) iscg tabs to anchor it to the frame. Its about 10-160g heavier than a standard setup (freeride or all mountain setups) It will run about $650 by the time it is all said and done (cranks/BB/Shifter + 2 chainrings and 2 guides).

I think thats exactly what everyone needed to hear. That sounds slick.

I think personally I am going to wait for some kind of rear gearbox option. I'm happy working through a 36t up front on all of my mountain bikes.

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department

Tell us some more about the Turner:brows:

Liking more and more about this system the vids on there site were quite interesting, looking forward to more trancend!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The Elixirs are great. They feel like a juicy carbon with slightly more modulation and much easier, tool free adjustments. All in all a nice upgrade. Adjustable banjo, reach and contract point adjustment with your fingers, anti-wind fitting on the cable etc.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Neither will be as cool as my P boxx.

It's a catheter driven reservoir that mounts underneath a traditional toptube allowing hands free urination during rides. Because sometimes the need to keep going can't be interrupted by the need to just go.
yes, but nothings as sweet as the V-Boxx

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
just found this http://www.krisholm.com/khu/kh-schlumpf

a two-speed hub for unicycles. evidently you shift it by hitting a button that is mounted over the crank bolt. anyone with a better understanding of how this and the hammer work care to compare and contrast these systems for us?
Same concept. It's a planetary gear overdrive. The shifting is different as are the ratios, but it's the same basic design.