Quantcast

Joining the homeowners club......

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
After living thru the War of Yankee Migration over the last 10 years, I've come up with a very specific definition of Yankee. As far as I am concerned a Yankee is someone from somewhere else that will not shut the fvck up about wherever they came from and how pissant awful here is. The shocking thing is that it is not the minority of folks that seem to have been sold into slave labor and moved to here.
you will also noitce they moved to your area to 'get away' from the craphole they just left, but then in no time, they start trying to change your state/city into aforementioned craphole.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
!!?!!?? 136K for a place like that? That wouldn't buy the corner of my garage and my home is only 957 sq. ft. I'm officially jealous :disgust:

In any event, enjoy the house:clapping:
It would basically only cover the land purchase in the Greater Boston area. That house on 3/4 of an acre would be on the books for about $500,000. :disgust1:

Edit: Nice house. Looks like a bike room just to the right of the garage, through the French doors.

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
Wow! Beautiful house and a great price.

To give you some idea of the differnce in property values, I paid the same amount for a 1br/900sf condo in CT earlier this year. On top of that, in the 5 months I've owned it, the town claims the value has already increased 16% (based on the new, higher taxes they want me to pay).

Congrats - looks great!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
On top of that, in the 5 months I've owned it, the town claims the value has already increased 16% (based on the new, higher taxes they want me to pay).
Very convenient how that works, eh?

"Oh, yeah, our property values are.. uh.. booming. So your taxes this year are going to go up."

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
This one lasted about 3 months.........and even then, we just toyed with 'em for awhile until they got into our ballpark. We also secured a 100% loan with no origination fee and only $1500 in closing costs!!

Slam dunk.

How did you do that?

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
How did you do that?
Magic.

No, seriously........a guy I ride with from time to time, works for a company that does this sort of thing. ABN-AMRO Bank was running a special for this week only, on that particular loan and waiving the origination fee as bait. Since it just so happens we were in the market, had found a house we liked, and had already made an offer, it was a perfect fit. Got locked in at 6.25% for 30yrs. Not bad, huh? Of course, there's a pre-pay amount of about $1500 in addition to the closing costs of $1600, but we rolled that into the loan amount to keep more dough in our pocket for other house-related stuff.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Here's a few shots I got after work before it got too dark.....

Living room.

Lots of natural light...hard to convey the size of a room with a photo sometimes--I think all our furniture will fit in this room alone! :rofl:

Dining room.

Here's where I bring the funk.......this was straight badassness in 1970! From what I understand, Nu-Tone makes updated faceplates for these things.........Tha Mothership has landed!! Get your bass, bootsy!!

Master Bedroom--

Justine loves this separate vanity area....of course, a lot of the fixtures and such are still kinda dated, but some of it is still pretty funky, so we're gonna try an incorporate it into the new scheme....

More funky stuff---laundry chute!!! I'm thinking a dumb-waiter installed so that stuff comes back up without having to lug it up stairs....course, that's what kids are for, right??

Let's go downstairs......nothing like a boss wrought-iron gate to complete your "That 70's Show" fantasy!! Where's Donna's mom?

Here's where the fun begins: This room is like, half the size of the house. I'm thinking home theatre..........she's thinking, not. :help:

Daddy gets a bike shop. "No, honey.......cars don't go in here. This is the bike collection facility" :clapping: Do I get a lifetime premium membership if I paint the Ridemonkey logo on the floor?

And finally.....the kitchen. This one needs updates the most---any suggestions?

"Well, MTV......thanks for touring my crizib. It's been nice havin' y'all--but ya gots to go! Peace!!!"

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
If you pull down that wooden awning thing over the kitchen window, it will look better right awayas there will be lots more light coming in and the window will not be chopped in half visually.. I think I have the same cabinet doors in my house!

Laundry chutes rule.

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
Very nice! Thanks for sharing all the great pics! :)

I know how excited you must be to move in... I can't wait! (one week until complete; 3 weeks until move-in) :weee:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
If you pull down that wooden awning thing over the kitchen window, it will look better right awayas there will be lots more light coming in and the window will not be chopped in half visually.. I think I have the same cabinet doors in my house!

Laundry chutes rule.
Looks great. Especially that basement.

As for the kitchen absolutely dump that wooden thing over the window as geargrrl said, paint the cabinets a lighter color, add color to the backsplash and add undercounter lighting. That wouldn't be a lot and would make it look much better. The floor doesn't look bad. Then I'd ditch the main light fixture for something less industrial. If you had more budget you could replace the counter tops or even get the cabinets refaced. But that would be more.

Congratulations and I wish your money well on its journey away from you.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
For the kitchen, a fast, easy, and cheap way to renovate, remove that window awning thing like geargrrl mentioned. Then pull the crown molding and stain it a bit darker. Then prime the cabinets, and paint them a semi-gloss ivory/creme color. Then install new cabinet hardware. Counter-tops look pretty good, but you can cover the existing with granite 12"x12" tiles or smaller ceramic tiles for a more custom look. Then install a neutral/lighter shade tile/linoleum on the floor. Finally, install new light fixtures (to generally match the cabinet hardware)

This whole project should only cost you about $1,000.
Here's a restore I did this year (using the methods described above) that cost me $1200 including some nice used appliances:

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
Congrats. That is a great looking house. And a great deal to boot. My wife and I took that plunge this past Spring. After all of the realtor fees and all of that I think we came out paying 124k for a 1700 sq ft "one story with a finished basement." We finished out a work room downstairs to bump up the sq ft to close to 2000 and then we put in a third bathroom as well. But we have a ton on cards to pay off. Hey, at the beginning of the summer we had 9 credit cards, now we are down to 5. Not bad. The only regret I have, is that we didn't do it sooner. I like not having to answer to anyone if I want to do something to my house/yard. Again, great place. I can't wait to see updated pictures after the move in January.