Quantcast

Juicy 5 vs. Juicy 7 (sorry, this is bike related)

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Hey guys, is the only difference between Juicy 5's and 7's the absence of the lever adjustment knob? And maybe some negligable weight difference?

Im considering just buying some Juicy 5s.

pepe

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
North of the border
According to the Sram tech, before there were carbons, the 5s weighed the same. He said they advertised the 7s lighter, for you know, to sell more.

I can do the same thing with the 5s that the 7s do with a 2mm hex wrench. I like my 5s better than my 7s. I don't know if it's the lever finish or what, but that's my take.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
PEEPEE is right!

I had 7's, on the Fisher, and 5's now on the Yeti! they stop just as well, the 7's have that "cool looking":rolleyes: little star adjuster knob that isn't really necessary.

You will not be disappointed by the 5's at all.:thumb:

R

richcreek

the 5's come standard on almost all of the 06 specialized enduro, bighit, and demo serries bikes. i think only like 2 of the demos have the 7 and some enduros i am not shure what they run, hayes maby?

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
BurlyShirley said:
Cool. That's what I figured, just missing that stupid red knob.
After over a year riding the 7's I still can't figure out what the red knob does:think: I fact on my second ride with them I crashed and ripped it off and they still work fine.

I have the 5's on my XC bike and they work just as good as the 7's.

pepe

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
North of the border
Snacks said:
After over a year riding the 7's I still can't figure out what the red knob does:think: I fact on my second ride with them I crashed and ripped it off and they still work fine.

I have the 5's on my XC bike and they work just as good as the 7's.
It basically turns the lever adjustment screw on the inside of the lever. I am not sure why they call it pad contact adjustment. :confused:

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
pepe said:
It basically turns the lever adjustment screw on the inside of the lever. I am not sure why they call it pad contact adjustment. :confused:
My guess is that it decreases the volume of the fluid in the master cylinder. The excess fluid is used to partially push the pistons towards the caliper, essentially giving you a pad contact adjustment.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
pepe said:
Because it's pad contact adjustment. It determines how far you have to squeeze the lever for it to activate. The hex inside of the lever determines where the starting point of the lever is. I like my 7s, but I would never pay for them. Thank god they came OEM.

pepe

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
North of the border
You all know that there is a little worm gear on the lever reach adjustment screw that is moved by the red knob, right? Same thing as the lever reach adjustment screw, but no hex wrench involved.

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
More importantly, what's with that pin holding the lever in on my Juicy Fives? All it does is wiggle dangerously closely to falling out. Does the adjustment knob on the Seven help remedy that?

I'd have spent the extra thirty bucks if that would fix all that.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I would like to get some hopes. In fact, I may, its just a matter of whether or not its worth it. I've heard alot of good about the Juicy 7's but if there is some negligable difference thats going to cost me a hundred extra bucks, Im not gunna spend it, and I'd go with the 5's. The Hopes are super blingy, but some brakes have or had fit problems with the Chameleon. I dunno yet.

pepe

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
North of the border
OGRipper said:
You sure about that Peepee? I think Bicyclist is right, they are not the same.
Yes - I have had them all apart. The stupid thing is, the worm gear piece goes into the open system, so if you back it out too far you let air in.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
BurlyShirley said:
I would like to get some hopes. In fact, I may, its just a matter of whether or not its worth it. I've heard alot of good about the Juicy 7's but if there is some negligable difference thats going to cost me a hundred extra bucks, Im not gunna spend it, and I'd go with the 5's. The Hopes are super blingy, but some brakes have or had fit problems with the Chameleon. I dunno yet.
My friend had Hopes and they were not all they were cracked up to be. He had nothing but mechanical problems with them. That and it made this dreadful squeel/pulse noise every time he tried to brake. No matter how they were set up either. Eventually one line just blew out of the lever on him and after wasting time and money on pads and lines (they ate pads) he gave up and sold them for a set of Mags. I would stick with the Avids if I were you.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
pepe said:
Yes - I have had them all apart. The stupid thing is, the worm gear piece goes into the open system, so if you back it out too far you let air in.
Um, if the gear goes into the open system, it's more than just a reach adjustment. I have never disassembled one but I still think you are wrong.

The reach adjustment dictates how close the lever is to the bar at the beginning of the throw. The contact point adjustment dictates how much throw you get from the starting point.

That's what mine do anyway.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
pepe said:
You all know that there is a little worm gear on the lever reach adjustment screw that is moved by the red knob, right? Same thing as the lever reach adjustment screw, but no hex wrench involved.

It's not quite the same thing though...Turning the red knob will not adjust the lever reach, at least not on my Avids it doesn't. The red knob adjusts where in the lever's travel the pad will make contact.

So it doesn't matter where I set the my lever reach to, the Pad contact knob can be set so the pads engage early in the lever travel or in the middle, etc.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
BurlyShirley said:

There are a few places that still have 2005 Avids in stock. You can pick up the 7s or 5s pretty cheap.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Joe Pozer said:
There are a few places that still have 2005 Avids in stock. You can pick up the 7s or 5s pretty cheap.
Yeah, Ive been digging pretty good and found some good prices. But Im not going to pay for a little red knob if I find out its pretty useless. I probably will end up just buying some 5s.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
BurlyShirley said:
Yeah, Ive been digging pretty good and found some good prices. But Im not going to pay for a little red knob if I find out its pretty useless. I probably will end up just buying some 5s.
It's not useless. Peepee is wrong. Maybe not strictly needed but still, not useless. The contact point adjustment is great, especially as your pads wear down, or if you bend a rotor on the trail, or if it's really sloppy one day, or...well, 'nuff said.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
OGRipper said:
It's not useless. Peepee is wrong. Maybe not strictly needed but still, not useless. The contact point adjustment is great, especially as your pads wear down, or if you bend a rotor on the trail, or if it's really sloppy one day, or...well, 'nuff said.
Fair enough.

Is it worth $40 per brake?

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
BurlyShirley said:
Fair enough.

It really is a personal preference...I like the Pad contact knob (meaning that it is worth the extra $40 to me) but as you've read in this thread, other people don't really use it.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
BurlyShirley said:
Fair enough.

It is worth 80 of your dollars to me. :D

Seriously, I don't know if it's worth it to you, but it's a good feature. I like it enough to go for the 7's when I bought my second set of avids, but I tend to like lots of adjustability. If the stock setting on the 5's is ok for you, you probably won't miss it much.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I wish they didn't run dot fluid. They are easy to work on though. Pads are easy to get cheap. They seem to take a beating.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
BurlyShirley said:
Fair enough.

NO! they are a self adjusting hydrulic system. Simply put they adjust for pad wear automaticly, this is true of the 5s and the 7s. Both brakes have the same lever reach adjuster and indeed the same basic lever design. As far as I can tell that knob does nothing but break off when you crash and make your bike look sh1ty Save the cash for something worth the money, like beer or dirty magazines.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
brungeman said:
PEEPEE is right!

I had 7's, on the Fisher, and 5's now on the Yeti! they stop just as well, the 7's have that "cool looking":rolleyes: little star adjuster knob that isn't really necessary.

You will not be disappointed by the 5's at all.:thumb:

I call BS here. Either you don't or haven't put long rides heading in the down hill position. The red knob is key, and the 5's are bogus. Get the 7's.

To begin with, you can always adjust the lever to exactly where you need contact. As pads wear, you can adjust the contact point. During long DH's, you will find that the levers will start to engage closer to the bars... turn the knob, and you're free.

Switch to a new wheel set... adjust the knob for new discs, and you're off.

Don't think that contact point is key? well, you're probably using two fingers for breaking... if thats the case, steet straight to the hospital. contact points closer to the handle bar means more control, one finger breaking means even MORE control.

The avid Juicy 7's are simply the best on the market... unless you don't take riding seriously.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
maxyedor said:
NO! they are a self adjusting hydrulic system. Simply put they adjust for pad wear automaticly, this is true of the 5s and the 7s. Both brakes have the same lever reach adjuster and indeed the same basic lever design. As far as I can tell that knob does nothing but break off when you crash and make your bike look sh1ty Save the cash for something worth the money, like beer or dirty magazines.
You're an idiot. Don't post BS if you don't know what you're talking about.

Both have a reach adjuster (even a walmart bike has that), but the red knob is a contact point. Pull the lever back, and when you want it to contact the brakes, thats where it starts to resist. You can move that in and out.

Again, you're full of crap. On a long descent, when you're constantly on the brakes, both systems will wear and not always automatically return itself. Sure, it will contact, but where? Again, if you DH (perhaps you don't), moving that contact point around is key.... better than pumping a system that may result in a crash.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
BurlyShirley said:
Who to believe?
It's true the 7's and 5's are self adjusting. But if you don't like how they self adjust, you can change the contact point on the 7's.

Whether it's worth it or not is your call, but the people who are saying it's the same as reach adjustment, or that it doesn't do anything, are just wrong.

I need a refill...

pepe

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
North of the border
Now that I think about it, the open part is what makes the pad contact work. I think it must compess or open up the fluid pressure when you turn the knob. I honestly can't feel a ton of difference. I will say that if you turn the knob, you will see the lever move. Maybe it does adjust the pressure.

I did not ever say that it does nothing. Even if I don't think it moves the pads, which I am kind of thinking it does, I never said it does nothing.

Curious how many people that are so passionate about their thoughts on this have had the lever assembly and the master cylinder apart?