Quantcast

Juicy bleed problems

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Well I brought my son's Juicy carbon brakes in to have the hoses shortened at my LBS. Well when I got them back they felt strange, I then I fliped his bike upside down to look the the calipers and now the levers just went all the way to the bar with little or no pad action !

I took the bike back to the LBS to find out that the tech had never bled Juicys before, OK so perhaps he screwed up and got some air in the system, well I just spent and hour bleeding both brakes again with the tech and we followed the directions carefully and we still have the same problem the brakes feel fine right after the bleed but if we move the bike up verticaly or upside down the lever goes all mushy and bottoms on the bar.

Help ! anyone know what 's going on here, I heard that bleeding these was so easy, do I still have some air trapped in there some how or is there someting else going on here .

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
they are pretty easy to bleed. The key if you're not used to bleeding brakes is to get the brake completely vertical. This might mean you have to remove the caliper from the rear. Basically air travels upward.

Make sure all the hoses are cut properly and snug (and the bladder isn't bleeding). Also make sure the pads are push completely in and the adjuster knob on the elver is set.

Are you following these:
http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/juicy7bleeding.pdf

The basic principle is:
Make sure the brakes are as vertical as possible.

Fill a syringe with the proper dot fluid and connect it at the caliper end and push the fluid up twoards the syringel connected at the lever.

Continue pusing fluid up to the lever syringe until you see no bubbles left. Cycle the brake lever a few times to get air out of the master cylinder.

Oonce you do that , reverse the process and push fluid from the lever syringe to the caliper syringe until you see no air bubbles. Repeat as necessary

Then close the caliper syringe, check master cylinder resevoir for air bubbles.

After you've done that, reinsert the caliper bleed bolt. Then the lever bleed bolt. (don't disconnect both at the same time as you create suction by doing one at a time (similar to holding your finger over a straw to hold liquid in the straw)).