Quantcast

Juicy seven/carbon/ultimate

ArthurDH

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Italy
are there any real mechanical differences between these three brakes, or do they differ only in weight and price?

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
the juicy 7/carbon/ultimate shares the same features as pad contact adjusters on the brake lever.The ultimate has a mono block caliper instead off a 2 piece caliper what the juicy 7/carbon have.Another difirence is is that the ultimate is a pure cross country brake and not what the juicy 7 or other juicy brakes can be used such as for DH and freeride.The juicy 7/carbon/ultimate have indeed difirence in weigth and price.

ArthurDH

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Italy
so i can expect the same level of braking performance for downhill use from any of them? well, except the ultimate if it is xc only

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
From what I've heard, the other poster is correct- Carbons and Sevens are the same except for hardware and the lever and the Ultimates have the one piece caliper, but aren't too good for DH use. I use Sevens on my all mountain and DH bikes and they have been great.

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
The Ultimate’s have a soft mag body that is bends more than the Juicy 7’s and Carbon’s. So the Ultimate’s will never have quite the same feel and power. Also the Ultimate’s come with organic pads because there actually lighter weight.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah, forget about actually trying the brakes before commenting on them!

The juicy ultimates work great for DH if you have the coin (Steve Peat has been running them for the worldcup series!), just chuck on a pair of 203mm rotors and sintered pads and you've got a killer light DH brake that bites like hell!

The lever body is plenty stiff and does not flex, and the lever feel is quite solid - easily comparable to the saints I owned previous and the juicy7's i've ridden.

Also the pads/rotors in the juicy ultimate are the same as the juicy7/carbon, and also the master cylinder piston diameter + caliper piston diameters are identical - so essentially it's the same braking power in a lighter package. :)

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Yeah, forget about actually trying the brakes before commenting on them!

The juicy ultimates work great for DH if you have the coin (Steve Peat has been running them for the worldcup series!), just chuck on a pair of 203mm rotors and sintered pads and you've got a killer light DH brake that bites like hell!

The lever body is plenty stiff and does not flex, and the lever feel is quite solid - easily comparable to the saints I owned previous and the juicy7's i've ridden.

Also the pads/rotors in the juicy ultimate are the same as the juicy7/carbon, and also the master cylinder piston diameter + caliper piston diameters are identical - so essentially it's the same braking power in a lighter package. :)
I have used them and was not overly impressed. But if your happy with them that is fine for you. with brakes its more what were happy with. The reasons I have give are as per what SRAMs principal technical rep states. Who I was talking to about juicy brakes last week. As for Steve Peat’s I can ashore you that even though there labeled as "Ultimate" they are not. For starters just take a look at the calipers. A large body 4 pistons caliper is not a Juicy Ultimate or at least none you can get hold of currently. Or at leas that’s what he had on his bike last time I seen it.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Bla bla. You can't ride them out of the box and use that opinion to tell people not to buy them, they come with lousy resin pads (and 5/6/7" rotors). That is about all that makes them an XC brake.

Put the right pads in (ie the same pads as juicy 7's, or goodridge/galfer) with 203mm rotors and then come back and talk to me. My friend runs codes and even he is impressed with them.

MaD666MaX

Monkey
Jul 24, 2004
Montreal
pros ride code calipers with ultimate levers. light and powerfull.

the ultimate lever is not strong, so dont hit a tree with it cuz it will break in 2 near the bar clamp

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
pros ride code calipers with ultimate levers. light and powerfull.

the ultimate lever is not strong, so dont hit a tree with it cuz it will break in 2 near the bar clamp
Wow, that one is a bit overblown.

Steve Peat does race with ultimate calipers as well as ultimate levers, but he and has been known to run hope mono mini on his bike. Juicy 7/Carbon is also marketed as an XC brake.

Like UDI said, get some real pads (stock organic's are weak sauce), bigger rotors, and you have a pretty light brake. The lever body seems more fragile than the Juicy 7/Carbon, but i've had no issues with the ultimate lever body yet. If you're looking for a more proven setup, the Juicy 7 has been used more in DH applications.

If anything, the ultimate caliper should be as strong if not stronger than the two piece Juicy 7/Carbon caliper. For 2008, the Juicy carbon looses some significant weight as 2007 ones were miniscul savings (~10-15g)

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
I must apologise as you are correct that SP has used ultimate in many races in the past. What I have seen turns out not to be his usual race setup I guess. I see what your saying Udi, with a few easy tweaks you greatly improve there DH performance. I was not trying to say they were bad or wrong to use them I was just mirroring the official SRAM line.

lol agree with Patan-DH though, I dont think the guy ever slows down.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I must apologise as you are correct that SP has used ultimate in many races in the past. What I have seen turns out not to be his usual race setup I guess. I see what your saying Udi, with a few easy tweaks you greatly improve there DH performance. I was not trying to say they were bad or wrong to use them I was just mirroring the official SRAM line.
No worries, it makes sense to buy the manufacturers line but honestly - it's often not true. One good example is how they currently recommend the juicy carbon for DH but not the juicy 7 (when they are exactly the same brake apart from lever material and hardware)... and I'm sure if you looked you could find plenty more.

Steve Peat doesn't brake, he could use cantilevers or just his foots to brake after the finish line.

I like the formulas
I was waiting patiently for this one. :)

Of course, that's BS. The reality of the situation is, the faster you go the MORE you depend on the brakes. Developing good braking techniques (such as braking later and harder) rely pretty strongly on having a good brake.

Pro riders may brake less as a ratio vs. how fast they go (compared to your average rider) however that doesn't mean they are braking less period.

As for the formulas, having tried both I think I'd pick the avid brake every time. The lever pivot is a mile away from the bar on the formulas (exactly the opposite of what avid tried/achieved with their "low x-factor" claim) and it shows. All avid hydraulic levers (juicy, code, ultimate) put the pivot in the same place, and it's the closest to the bar of any hydro out there.... try the brakes back to back and your fingers will let you know which is better.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I just ended up with juicy carbon's because sram felt bad that they were taking a long time to fix my 7's, for the original price repair price. :banana: They look really nice. Sram has such good customer service. :thumb:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Good on ya mate,takes a big man to admit a mistake ;).
Can someone please give me an accurate weight(done yourself) of a front Ultimate lever line and caliper and a Carbon,and tell me what type of pads and how long the lines are. I want to know if they're lighter than my XTR(IS)calipers(no adaptors needed on 40s and Lahar)with XT levers.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i'm running ultimates on mine now. front brake with boxxer adaptor (which is pretty burly) & all hardware is 270g. rear brake with adaptor to run a 203 rotor on that bike is 260g. light stuff.

NOOP

Chimp
Apr 26, 2007
Hi,

I've ridden Juicy 7, Juicy 5 and Code brakes. The lever design on the Juicy's is really nice, and they have great power. However, the rotor design is pretty poor, and it causes the front brake to 'catch' and not feel smooth and the rear brake "howls" really bad (at least on my bikes). I've used both the old and new rotor designs, too. Again, the stopping power is really good, but the feel and sound were bad - bad enough for me to switch them out with XT/Saint brakes (which rock).

The Codes are a completely different beast. I *LOVE* these brakes. The levers are really burly and rugged and they adjust very well (different from the Juicy). They have very high levels of power and they have incredible modulation. Really amazing feel, too. The trick is to take a few minutes and set them up properly for your style, hand size and braking habits.

The Code's are definitely at home on a DH/FR bike, however I don't think I'd put them on an AM/XC bike... they're just too heavy and powerful.