Quantcast

Juicy Ultimate Caliper Problem

I've got a new to me Stumpy that has Juicy Ultimate brakes. The front pads were down quite a bit so I picked up some new semi metallic pads but when I install them the pistons won't retract enough to get the wheel and rotor back in place. I managed to force the pistons in enough to finally get the wheel back on but the pads are firmly grabbing the rotor. Is there a difference in thickness between semi metallic and organic pads?

I've extended the pistons and dribbled some brake fluid onto the pistons to try to reduce the friction. I also pulled out the bleed kit and did both front and rear twice and will probably do that again because the fluid was still pretty dark during the second bleed. Finally, I'm used to seeing pistons sit pretty much flush with the caliper housing and these are slightly extended from the caliper housing, 1/16" - 1/8" at most. Is that normal for these brakes?

I've read several negative reviews about these brakes and see that Avid has replaced a lot of these calipers with CR Mags. I'm hoping that I don't have to go that route so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
You have to push the pistons back when installing new pads. This should just force fluid back into the reservoir and self adjust with a few pumps of the lever (after the wheel is installed!!). Careful where you dribble that oil. One drop on the pad material and it's ruined. If your brakes are honking your pads are buggered. Clean the rotor with brake cleaner and start anew.