Quantcast

Jumping Ship?????????

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'm in a tight spot.

I have 2 companies knocking my door down to come and work for them. Both jobs are willing to pay me more than I make where I am now.

The catch is where I am now has done very well by me. It's the type of company I've always wanted to work for and it's family oriented and cares for it's employees. The economy has thrown this business into pits. The owners have done everything to keep this place open. They supply me with a cell phone and a car as perks but I haven't received a raise in 2yrs and with a house and now 2 kids things are getting tighter.

The 2 companies offering me jobs are places that at some point I could easily run and maybe even hope to own part of. Both are small companies with people I have long term relationships with.

How do you know when it's time to jump ship?

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
That's a tough call. If your current company is small and the economy is throwing them for a loop, then you may have hit the ceiling. It sounds like they're doing all they can to keep you happy. How long have you been with them?

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
like you said, the economy is tight. i'd go where the money is. it's nice your present company gives you those little perks, but no raise in 2 yrs? if the 2 new companies are places you wouldn't mind working at, and have better potential at, then what's stopping you? since i got fired from my job, i've learned that for now on it's all about me. i won't feel any obligations to the company beyond what my job is supposed to be. i won't "take one for the team" to help them out of a situation to make things easier for those above me. i did and it came to bite me in the ass. you got bills to pay, a growing family and whatever else, take the money.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
You work to make money. Don't be sentimental, kids are hella expensive.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
That's a tough call. If your current company is small and the economy is throwing them for a loop, then you may have hit the ceiling. It sounds like they're doing all they can to keep you happy. How long have you been with them?
Thats my exact feeling, they really have done ALL they can do to keep me on and keep me paid.

5-6yrs I've been working here for. Even if business picks up I'm not looking at a raise for at least another year based on the current situation.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
like you said, the economy is tight. i'd go where the money is. it's nice your present company gives you those little perks, but no raise in 2 yrs? if the 2 new companies are places you wouldn't mind working at, and have better potential at, then what's stopping you? since i got fired from my job, i've learned that for now on it's all about me. i won't feel any obligations to the company beyond what my job is supposed to be. i won't "take one for the team" to help them out of a situation to make things easier for those above me. i did and it came to bite me in the ass. you got bills to pay, a growing family and whatever else, take the money.
True but this company is flexible with me and my family. We used to get bonuses but we haven't gotten them lately either. I'm also concerned that I'll get laid off here at some point. I don't feel it would be a permanent thing but I can't really afford that either.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I agree wholeheartedly with this statement in all seriousness. I stuck with my former company for nearly four years without a raise and had the ship jumped for me when they laid me off. I stuck with them because they were a family-owned business much like what you describe and they gave me a great break when I got out of another industry to work for them. Trust me, you never want to be out on that limb in being unemployed. It isn't easy with house payments and kids and the check you get each week in the mail doesn't go very far. If you see an opening, go for it. Don't dick around with your future.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
But it's not like his future is secured at one of the other companies either. Hell, they might have been laying people off already whereas his current company is trying really hard to provide during desperate times.

In addition, if you become partner in one of the other companies, that opens up a whole new world of liability (among many other things).

Owning is good though...you may be able to retire early.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
But it's not like his future is secured at one of the other companies either. Hell, they might have been laying people off already whereas his current company is trying really hard to provide during desperate times.

In addition, if you become partner in one of the other companies, that opens up a whole new world of liability (among many other things).

Owning is good though...you may be able to retire early.
Yeah well there are some insecurities with both the potential jobs as well.

I really like the idea of becoming a partner because I feel like then I could actually make some good/better money.

I could become a partner here as well but not till I got my Arch. License which is quite a few years away.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Unless the owner gave you a kidney or something, you are even up. You did the job and they paid you.
Quoted for truth.

I'm in a similar position where I've stayed at my position against my better judgement, and now find myself struggling right along with my company. Part of me hopes this all turns around as I REALLY like the people I work with/for, but another realistic part of me thinks I've made a mistake. Ultimately, I'm responsible for my own happiness/survival. So are you.

ps: Stosh, you should have a box waiting for you today or tomorrow. :D

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Yeah well there are some insecurities with both the potential jobs as well.

I really like the idea of becoming a partner because I feel like then I could actually make some good/better money.
There is always insecurities with EVERY job.

If you really need an answer, look at the yearly cost of college tuition these days and then add at least several percentage points then times that by four then times that by the number of kids you have now and/or will have.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
There is always insecurities with EVERY job.

If you really need an answer, look at the yearly cost of college tuition these days and then add at least several percentage points then times that by four then times that by the number of kids you have now and/or will have.
Oh man we went to my sister-in-laws house to watch our niece get on the bus for the first time today. All I could think was OMG my daughter will be done schooling in 16yrs, how are we going to pay for college?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Quoted for truth.

I'm in a similar position where I've stayed at my position against my better judgement, and now find myself struggling right along with my company. Part of me hopes this all turns around as I REALLY like the people I work with/for, but another realistic part of me thinks I've made a mistake. Ultimately, I'm responsible for my own happiness/survival. So are you.

ps: Stosh, you should have a box waiting for you today or tomorrow. :D
Thanks man! I can't wait!!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
If your currently employer is struggling to stay afloat and you have not gotten a raise in two years, they can't expect employees to hang around for very long. They really can't be surprised if anyone gives their notice. I'd opt for the long-term growth potential.

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
You got to look out for yourself. I was working for a company I really liked. They took good care of me and I was willing to go above and beyond.

Two weeks ago the CEO calls me in his office and tells me they are eliminating my position and moving it to Seattle. I had to pack up my ****e with the CEO watching and do what felt like the perp walk even though I was laid off not fired.

Lookout for yourself

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
All the companies I'm looking at are very small of no more than 10 people in any one of them. I think the mentality does tend to be different.

Thanks guys, I've set up 2 appointments to discuss packages with both perspective companies.

Last edited:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
All the companies I'm looking at are very small of no more than 10 people in any one of them. I think the mentality does tend to be different.

Thanks guys, I've set up 2 appointments to discuss packages with both perspective companies.

One other thing is at my current company there is a "health" issue with the one boss who is poised to take over the comp.
What's the company? We'll tell them you quit for you. Less stressful for you that way.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
What's the company? We'll tell them you quit for you. Less stressful for you that way.
ha ha ha, not going to happen.

I guess the other thing is when we have work I really really love what I do here. I would like what I would be doing at the other companies but not as much as here.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
In these thread asking for advice, people should just say "I get $XXX here, and I like doing <this>, but the other company will pay $XXX and <this> is what is more in/convenient."

That way its easier for everyone to say what they would whore themselves out for if they were you.

On the board, some people live in vans, others make millions. They may try to mooch if your in the millions, but no one can afford to be snobbish here.

Last edited:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I guess spending 8+hrs a day somewhere means more than just money.
Well break it down, is it a substantial amount of money, or just a few extra bucks a month? How is the new company compared to the current one, business wise, what is their volume. It there room for growth over your current company?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Invite all three companies to the negotiating table at once. Let them try to outbid one another for your services.

...seriously, why dont people do that?

You don't want to work in any situation where the employee / employer relationship is anything less than professional. I would be extremely leery...

Right now you have your family security to think about.
I haven't gotten a raise since the internet bubble burst, but I have a comfortable salary and believe in the soundness of our small company. Go ahead and look around, but be very careful in your decision.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
You don't want to work in any situation where the employee / employer relationship is anything less than professional. I would be extremely leery...

Right now you have your family security to think about.
They're all professional relationships. One guy helped me out when I lost my job a few years back by giving me a temp job and I've just kept in touch with him.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Invite all three companies to the negotiating table at once. Let them try to outbid one another for your services.

...seriously, why dont people do that?
It's easier to inflate the counter offers when they aren't all at the same table together.