Quantcast

Just a "I'm curious question"

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
The last two weekends downhilling i have just noticed all the different seat heights on peoples bikes.You may see three or four people of the same height,same size bike but the seat extention is all different.You see 'em xc high and slammed all the way down.How do you run your seat and why?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
up for XC..... down for FR and DH. I just cut the post as short as possible but long enough for xc. Then I just drop it as far as possible for DH and FR.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i run my real low because my bike is kinda big and i use my thigh to push into the seat

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
M

I wanted to let you know the Boxxer is not dented, that is where a jacka$$ tied it to another bike in the back of a trailer and it gat serious friction. The internals should be fine though!

And seat height depends on the trail. If you pedal a lot then you'll want it up!

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
ztlh13 said:
M

I wanted to let you know the Boxxer is not dented, that is where a jacka$$ tied it to another bike in the back of a trailer and it gat serious friction. The internals should be fine though!

And seat height depends on the trail. If you pedal a lot then you'll want it up!

Is this Terry? I changed the oil in the Boxxer and its working mucho better :thumb:

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i keep it about 4inches up above the seat clamp for trails with no big jumps and some pedaling, for tech trails and trails with big jumps its all the way down.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i keep it pretty high even at whistler and on the shore. i'm a lot less tired at the end of the day this way. of course having a monster t up front and 9" of avy/canfield goodness out back lets me get away with that more than, say, a hardtail rider with a 5" fork...

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I keep it somewhat high (lower than for XC) for technical downhills because I can wheelie drop and throw the bike around better with a seat position that is further back and high enough to grab between my legs on occasion. Maybe 4 inches above the clamp.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Up high when I am on the way up, and down low when I am on the way down.

Toshi, I am that rider on the hardtail with the 5, well, 6 inch fork. :) It's fun!

I think it depends on a riders background too. But I used to run my seats low and now with my Gemini I run them higher to pedal and sit better. but it al depends I htink to if a person has a seat post clamp that realses quick or not, I.E. set it kind high if oy uhave to pedal rather then too low? does that make sense?

Nately27

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
i like mine on the high side for just about all downhill stuff. I find I can pedal better, and get a lot less fatigued during the run cuz i can sit in a reasonable position. i feel it also helps with control, particularly during cornering. the high side for me is about 6 or 7 inches above the clamp on a 17 inch frame for a 6 footer

biker3

Turbo Monkey
I keep the shortest thomson available all the way up for 3 reasons 1) You never should be sitting down riding DH anyway 2) You can pedal easier and comfortably on the less tech sections and fatigue is less 3) I think it looks uber cool and racer-like, so people will be like man that guy is cool when I ride by.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
bibs said:
I think it depends on a riders background too. But I used to run my seats low and now with my Gemini I run them higher to pedal and sit better. but it al depends I htink to if a person has a seat post clamp that realses quick or not, I.E. set it kind high if oy uhave to pedal rather then too low? does that make sense?

Strange but i ran the seat on my Gemini last year higher than any other bike i've had.Must be the geo/rider postion on that bike.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
every season my seat keeps going higher and higher but i think i have found the money spot on my old dh9 about 5 inches of extension on a medium frame for a rider who is 5 11 and inseam of 32 1/2

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
anarchyUK said:
mine is at mmy knees when i stand up
Ding Ding!
I think most people would be surprised how much more control they have if you run you seat higher. Everybody slams it down cause they are paranoid of nut injury.
When you can control the rear of the bike with your knees, you can ride rougher terrain with more confidence. I set mine up so it hits just above the bump on the inside of my knee when standing.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
for xc i run the normal seat high. for downhill/freehide, put the seat at the height of just above my knees when I am standing on the pedals. I feel that it gives me more control to grab it with my thighs. as I travel down quickly

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
buildyourown said:
Ding Ding!
I think most people would be surprised how much more control they have if you run you seat higher. Everybody slams it down cause they are paranoid of nut injury.
When you can control the rear of the bike with your knees, you can ride rougher terrain with more confidence. I set mine up so it hits just above the bump on the inside of my knee when standing.
Werd. Thats where mine is on the HT for pinching and where my homosexual roadie seat is gonna be on the DH bike.

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
bibs said:

no it doesn't
and you like your seat post high, without a seat on it at all!!!

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
When I did ride DH it was on a hardtail and the seat was midway up, higher than most I saw. I guess being from an XC background I use the saddle a lot for steering and balance. I also like being able to sit and spin.

These days I'm riding mostly XC and road, but hit the occasional singletrack downhill trail with some jumps and stuff. The saddle height is the same as it is on the road the whole way down, never had an issue with sacking the boys.

As for the nut casings, I'd rather hit them then miss the pedals and ram my feet into the ground before hitting anything else. I know a number of riders much better than me who have torn ACL's and broken ankles because of that.

The Ito

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
I started with my seat all the way down, because I was afraid my 'boys' could/would be crushed.
But on technical, rocky sections and in high speed berms, my bike always felt a little squirrelly and nervous.
A friend told me that I should try to ride with my seat a few inches higher
and I immediately noticed that I had a lot more control, because I could pinch the seat between my legs
and I could 'push' the bike over in corners with my thighs.
The only downside is bunny hopping is a little 'limited' know.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
I run mine relatively high. I'm only an average height, but have my seat up taller than most, for a few reasons...
I like to pedal efficiently, I like having the ability to steer the bike with my knees, and probably the biggest reason being that 2 knee reconstructions have limited the movement in my knee so there's no point putting it any lower as I can't sit on it comfortably.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
When and if I race i keep it slammed down... but for runs in whistler or other jump trails i keep it at my knees or a little higher standing up... It makes it better for me so I can move the bike better and maybe i can clamp the seat between my knees so I wont loose the bike in a trick.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Think i'm going to start raising mine a little at a time until i finf a level that is a good compromise between being able to tuck it outta the way and still able to sit and pedal occasionally.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Climbing= Almost full leg extension
DJ= All the way down unless im doing no handers...
DH= Knee'ish

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Am I the only one disagreeing with the people about never sitting down in a DH run? Different riders have different styles, and I generate alot more power
on the seat than I do standing. Even watching the pros, they have different techniques as well. Peat killed the bottom section of St. Anne last year, cruising in on his saddle. (for the win).
Anyway, as far as DH seat height, I run it as high as I can get away with and still ride the really steep stuff.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
i started running mine higher than normal becuase I found I could keep the rear from sliding out in corners better if I had a little pressure from my rear to force the rear down on the ground. When you go throwing it deep in a long turn or the rear starts trying to jump up on multiple braking bumps, having your "butt" in contact with the seat pushes the rear of the bike back down in contact with the trail.

I realized it one day when I did a run with the seat really low at Wolf Laurel and hit some braking bumps..the butt of the bike tended to skip around under me even with my legs pushing it down. Next run i had my seat up higher cuase I had been working on it in the stand...and I absolutely ripped the section cause I just pushed the reaer of the bike down and controlled it so much better.

I got short legs so if you see me and think my seat post isn't high...keep that in mind. :thumb:

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Jeremy R said:
Anyway, as far as DH seat height, I run it as high as I can get away with and still ride the really steep stuff.

That's what i will expeirment with this weekend at Windrock.Not worried about the runs when it's not to high,the one where it is may suck :help: