Quantcast

Just bought 'between the tape'...

Yahtzee

Chimp
Jun 18, 2007
I've got the say that this film was the biggest let down since 'Union'. Directing, music, flow of the movie didn't feel like the typical Clay Porter style you see on the Yeti website. Overall, I guess the film just felt like it was thrown together last minute?....what did you guys think?

the F.H.B

Monkey
Jun 2, 2006
Syd, Australia
Well I watched it for the first time tonight as well and I've got to say it's by far the best work Clay's put out to date.
Some of the music irritated me, hip hop full of swearing didnt flow with the film at all, but apart from that I would definately award it the best of the 2006 season award.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Thread sanitized. I'm tired of the 4th grader behaviour lately and the personal attacks and name calling. If you can't play well with others, leave, or else the mods will make sure that you are not heard from.

Frorider1

Monkey
Apr 28, 2006
Thread sanitized. I'm tired of the 4th grader behaviour lately and the personal attacks and name calling. If you can't play well with others, leave, or else the mods will make sure that you are not heard from.
well put.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
I thought it was a cool new way to do videos and really enjoyed the documentary style. However, it really irked me to see sped up footage. I think that this new style we're seeing from clay is awesome, and can only get better as he works out the kinks. (If you read this clay of friend of clay, maybe try doing from a single rider perspective....)

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
I've got the say that this film was the biggest let down since 'Union'. Directing, music, flow of the movie didn't feel like the typical Clay Porter style you see on the Yeti website. Overall, I guess the film just felt like it was thrown together last minute?....what did you guys think?
i think your opinion is entitled though ridiculous.

btt is THE dh movie for non dh'ers which is something this sport has needed for a long time. i'm honestly jealous that he did it before i could take a swing at it.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
i thought the directing, music, flow, were amazing, and you only have 1 post stfu

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
eh - you only have 797 posts... who say's your opinion is any more valid.

Based on this statistically valid sample of one (me)...

I thought the film was pretty average tbh - though it was at a 'premiere' = too loud pub with crap AV, so may update my opinion with a re-showing. I think a lot of the value of btt is in the commentary which I couldn't hear very well.

It was also kind of weird hearing '2006' all the time and feeling that it was soooo out of date. Have I become that fickle?

Oh - and I was standing next to Cam Cole for all the (justified) praising sections for Sam B... Cam won the race and hardly got a mention. Boo. Sam B rode too hard and made a mistake = too much celebration of second place in a film that's about racing (= winning) for me.

VO was a bit ott for my taste, but lots of you yanks seem to like that saccarine style so no biggie.

Composition was mostly sweet - didn't mind the fastforward stuff much - it just seemed that the camera placement at the races missed many of the best sections of the tracks (not enough camera's at the races?).

for all that... it's still a film, about mtb dh racing... which is always good. :-)

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
you pick and choose who you shoot with and sometimes it just happens that way. clay shot with sam through leov so sam become a rider that clay featured. just to be a jerk i'll put it out there that peat didnt win worlds and yet that was featured heavily too. sometimes the underdog story or the not-quite story of 2nd place is more interesting than "this guy won"- i see where you're coming from but i dont think that's it's really a valid detractor from the movie.

and yeah, you have become that fickle- 2006. it's a movie about that race season. maybe some day hi-def will be good enough to see into the future and we will get to see movies about the 2029 race season. until then though, last year isnt so long ago.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
2nd place - yep - you're probably right. I guess part of it was that Cam's a huge guy and I was worried he might turn green and start ripping people limb from limb.. :-) Sam B deserves credit that's for sure.

fickle - true - but it is when *every* one else had their 2006 vids out a few months ago.

don't get me wrong - I'd probably still consider buying it, but I still thought it was a 6 out of 10 rather than his usual 8 or 9. Will reserve final comments till I've had a proper viewing.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
the packaging is far better than anything i've seen from bike videos with the exception maybe of the rampage tin i guess. and the packaging took a long time to get done. it is late to be out but better late than never. i know i was slammed in school all fall and spring so trying to get a video done was a lot of extra work for me so i'm impressed that clay got a video of this scale done at all.

Between is Great Sucess. The music was pretty good, clay covered a wide variety and styles of music. The Flow of the movie was strong, only a few sections where the music just Didn;t go with the riding. Video editing to the music, however, was spot on!
My only dislikes are that he didn;t feature any Norba races, but it is understandble why he didn't, WC races are Way Cooler than Norba Races:biggrin:. i also didn;t like how he didn't put any 4x in the movie, but was happy to see a whole section for it in the Bonus menu and realized that if he had put 4x into the movie... it would have made the movie REALLY long

IMHO Hypnosis is a better movie, but for the 2006 WC season Between the Tape Is the Best so far!

EDIT:Steve peat won the World Cup series... and willingen, Is the oldest rider in the bunch and still was on the Podium for EVERY WC race including World Champs, with the exception of Schladming. Everybody loves Peaty, "a great ambassador for the sport" -i forgot who said that. he a Mentor:Josh Brycland, Brendan Faircloth, Neil Donohue, Marc Beaumont. Steve Peat Deserves to have as BIG of feature in ANY Mountain Bike movie.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
I really liked Between the Tape. Everything about it was great, The only thing I would have liked to see was a list of the final world cup results so we can see where some of the other riders mention in the video finished. Eveytime I watch it I find myself wanting to get on the computer and check the final point standings to see where certain riders finished.

The lack of US National race footage is fine with me. Clay wanted to document the best riders in the world at the top races in the world. US Nationals do not fall into this category. I watched the video the other day with the directors comentary and it really let you know what Clay was thinking and where he wanted this video to go. I also enjoyed the comments about the practice cup winners.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I thought it was good, but not sure if it was better than Earthed 4. The documentary style was refreshing. Some of his footage was pretty sweet like of Hannah in Vigo. I think he showed some really great footage of how the fast guys link up tough sections - truly amazing stuff! But I am more of a fan of the synopsis/super8 style of race re-cap...that's just me. Great DVD though.

Oh yeah, I wish he included that outtake of Rachel Atherton cussing like a sailor in the van cuz she only "slept an inch" last night. haha

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Got it last week and just watched it this past weekend. It was ok. Some really nice footage, but the music killed it for me. The interviews were not to bad. I think 75% race footage and 25% interviews would have made it much better, not the other way around. Earthed 4 is still on the top for me.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
OK, I love Clays videos. Hypnosis is my favorite vid to date. I love his style, his view, the way he appeals to the rest of the world and tries to make dh racing something they can comprehend and relate to. I am very impressed with his work and his vision and the composure and ability he has at such a young age. That being said, I was very disappointed with Between the Tape. To me, all of the footage seems sped up to the point where I can't even watch the whole film. I have tried to watch it three times now and have to take a break every time. The film is difficult and frustrating for me because I love to watch things as they occurred, so I can learn and glean from them as much as I can. When footage is sped up I can't relate or connect with the riding in the film so it becomes as relevant to me as the news. I want to watch it. I try to watch it, but I cant. I still have faith in Clay and his vision and I can't wait to see his next edition. I was just really thrown by his choice and cant watch the film because of it. Keep up the good work Clay, I hope you don't feel this as a bash, I understand how personal criticism is when you pour out your heart and soul in to something. I would love to talk to you about your vids if you're interested. I was the guy talking to you at Deer Valley that used to work for Thrasher mag. Oh yeah, and the cussing makes it a no go for me being a dad. I know lots of dads that have sons coming up the ranks that feel the same.

elRey

Turbo Monkey
I agree 100% with the comments about the sped up footage. I thought that the video could have been one of, if not the best, dh racing video I have ever seen if it were not for the sped up footage. The speeding up of footage completely ruined the video for me. I thought that his filming technique, interviews, and equipment were all improved upon from his other films, but Clay completely screwed up when he decdided to speed up a lot of the riding.

luiz carlos

Monkey
Apr 15, 2002
Brazil-Rio de Janeiro
Clay and Alex are good filmakers, but Tony Buttler is the best.
Just watched Illusionary Lines and is awesome.Great shots,great photography,good music,great editing.
Tony captures the vibe very well.
A film you must have.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Except for arseloads of Illusionary Lines is sped up as well. Either that or WC races are done in an alternate universe where time-clocks count down the seconds at 1.5 times the speed they do here in our universe.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Except for arseloads of Illusionary Lines is sped up as well. Either that or WC races are done in an alternate universe where time-clocks count down the seconds at 1.5 times the speed they do here in our universe.
hahaha... he had to speed up the clocks to match up with small amount of footage used . he only showed about 30 seconds of track per rider, but the clocks counted about 2 minutes for each rider... kind of strange to even bother with it really

the desmondo

Monkey
Mar 7, 2007
First of all, what a stellar movie. Secondly ,there seems to be an impression amongst others that the footage is sped up. Specifically what parts are sped up?

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
I'm super stoked on between the tape. My only complaint is that perhaps the riders are riding...too fast? I'm cool with speeding up the material, but not that much.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
the commentary is so brutally cheesy and lame....some good footage, but the voice over attempt at suspense and hype was weaksauce.....e4 slayed this film

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Theres quite a few, take a look at the riders jerseys. You can see in a few parts there jerseys are moving way way too fast.
i have watched it a bunch of times... not seeing anything out of the ordinary

watch some of the clips from this thread and you might just start to appreciate how fast these guys are rather than second guessing it

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184175

pat particular attention to the coverage of MSA... they are FLYING down that track

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Above average, but I was expecting more. Flow of scenes is personal preference and my preference is less talking in between riding scenes and less music with Fvck lyrics.

I know it has a reputation for a race vid, but I LOVED the zip line footage and hope Clay expands on his use of it.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Duncan's part is on fast foward especially. Watch their legs when they pedal too. They're going crazy fast.
some people sprint like that... mashing gears is not the fastest way to get down the hill... and the zip line, plus zooming in/out can change your perspective and make it apear quicker or slower

seriously... watch the spectators, photographers, etc in the periphery of the shots and you will see there is nothing out of the ordinary

there are only 30 people in the world who can go that fast, and 10 of them are on an even higher levelthan the rest... why is this so hard to understand

the F.H.B

Monkey
Jun 2, 2006
Syd, Australia
Duncans part looks the most sped up. The fact that its some of the first riding on the video catches your attention in all the wrong ways which is a pity. Still I would have been able to forgive him the sped up footage if it wasn't for the song he used in the Willengen section, Totally dischordent with the whole feel of the film...

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
yes, however it is fairly well known that many race vids are run at 105-108%...I'm pretty sure this is at least that. This is a stupid argument... Here I am thinking that all viewers know these vids are on FFW.

spinner

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Australia
I thought it was money well spent and not disappointing at all. Lets face it , everyone has personal preferences in what they like to see in films and due to that it is impossible for a film maker to please everyone. So why try ? Do what feels right to you , what you feel is the best way to document a race series. Clay has done just that and I applaud him for stepping out of the box slightly to give us his view of the series.

Sped up , slow mo....I don't care . It looks good and overall has a very professional , slick feel to it.

Probably the only thing missing is the womens race coverage. It barely rates a mention ....... although the Rachel Atherton bits were good.

Race flick of the year ?: Earthed 4 and BTT are equal favorites at the moment , Illusionary Lines just doesn't quite cut it. A disappointment after the brilliance of Super 8. Still worth owning , but I guess I was expecting too much from Butler this time around.