Quantcast

Just came in....Xprezo Furax.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm very interested to see how this frame works out. I know someone else that is getting one of these and they sparked my interest.

It's a steel rear triangle correct?

Built list?

blacksim549

Chimp
Oct 15, 2007
Quebec.
Steel swingarm, aluminium front.

Basically those Balfa guys...

I'm pretty sure it's on bearings.

Here is a fast speclist. Should look like this if I am lucky.

frame -- Xprezo Furax
fork -- Rockshox Boxxer Team 2010
shock -- Rockshox Vivid 5.1 w/ 300lbs spring (9.5'' x 3'')
grips -- ODI Ruffian
handlebar -- Truvativ Boobar
stem -- Sunline Boxxer
headset -- FSA The Pig PRO
seatclamp -- stock
seatpost -- V2 PRO
saddle -- Funn Skinny RL
pedals -- Truvativ Holzfeller
shifter -- SRAM X9
chainring -- E13
chainguide -- E13 LG1+
rear mech -- SRAM X9
brakes -- Avid Elixir CR
levers -- Avid Elixir CR
cassette -- SRAM PG-970 11-23T
chain -- SRAM PC-991 cross-step
crank -- Raceface Atlas FR
BB -- Raceface
hubs -- Ringle JumpingFlea
rims -- Mavic EN521
spokes -- DT Swiss SuperComp
tires -- Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 SuperTacky
tubes -- cheap

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
I really like that frame. Interested to hear some feedback on how it rides.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Pretty slack headangle, but at least the bike's not too long. It has short stays and a pretty tight wheelbase for a DH rig.

I really like it's simplicity. Post the complete pics when it's done!

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
I'm afraid it's just me, but the frame looks hideous. Even the norcos do look better without those skinny steel tubes. What is the purpose of the red 'linkage'?

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I'm afraid it's just me, but the frame looks hideous. Even the norcos do look better without those skinny steel tubes. What is the purpose of the red 'linkage'?
It's just you. That frame is georgeous! :thumb:

The red linkage is aluminum and offers a better strength to weight ratio than steel would to accomplish the same thing in that area.

Awesome geometry.

I do love the simplicity, but it *might* not feel as nice and offer as much traction as today's more complex progressive leverage ratio bikes. Will be good to hear a ride report!

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
damn that is some tight geo! Curious to see such short stays on a monopivot, since these tend to be a bit more unstable at higher speeds (in my personal experience). There seems to be a spelling mistake on the chart on the medium chainstay! oops! Typo! haha, I agree the bike looks real nice, and it seems really light too!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The bike looks nice and clean, but I too question the logic behind the aluminum section. Seems like it would be wiser to keep extra bolts off that area and make it one piece. Seems like it would be one more section to bend, damage, rattle, and maintain.

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
Seems like it would be wiser to keep extra bolts off that area and make it one piece. Seems like it would be one more section to bend, damage, rattle, and maintain.
That and the loads of mud the shock will eat during every muddy ride.
Built up, the bike looks so so, but the seat tower still kinda sucks.
Having ridden an Izimu in the past I'm not entitled to say 'another overpriced single pivot', but there are nicer, equally light, and probably better DH frames out there. The build quality looks very good though. Has the frame got an aluminium mech hanger?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Hmmm, I think I'm with the "looks ugly" crew. Bolt on seat cluster? Does-nothing linkage? I don't get it. Kind of a dumb company name too.

But, whatever, I'm sure it rides nice and that's what counts.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Hmmm, I think I'm with the "looks ugly" crew. Bolt on seat cluster? Does-nothing linkage? I don't get it. Kind of a dumb company name too.

But, whatever, I'm sure it rides nice and that's what counts.
:stupid:

^^what he said.

my buddy is riding for them this year, but i still think it looks like poop.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
The bike looks nice and clean, but I too question the logic behind the aluminum section. Seems like it would be wiser to keep extra bolts off that area and make it one piece. Seems like it would be one more section to bend, damage, rattle, and maintain.
All of Xprezo's full suspension bikes have the aluminum section between the steel swingarm and the main frame. It saves weight and space over steel. It goes straight back to Balfa, just look at a BB7, it has the same arrangement.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Is that one of Jerome's creations? I've always been a fan of the guys at Balfa, good people.

Dave

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I would have chosen a different name for the frame company, but otherwise it looks like a nice frame.

Looks almost like a modified single pivot with that link, but it's still a single pivot. A little unnecessary, but it cleans up the lines of the bike and gives it a little character.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
dw, Jérôme is not involved in Xprezo as far as I know.

Hugo Bardou is the guy behind Cycles Xprezo.

willbed

Chimp
Mar 5, 2002
Qc City
Indeed, Jay isn't with Xprezo,

I think Xprezo do deserve credit for their attention to detail and dedication to producing genuine products. Just thought I'd chip in with the info I got on the Furax...

This skinny seat tower thing is just part of the design. Using steel over alu has no effect on the weight, but these steel tubes will last much longer than any comparable aluminum tubes... It nicely matches the look of the steel swingarm, which is part of the Furax's unique look.

For those who may be surprised by the use of both steel and alu on xprezo frames, you can read some basic info at the bottom of this page : http://www.xprezo.ca/en/xprezo_history.html*

The red aluminum box isn't used to try and fool anyone... This area of the frame takes a lot of stress... The alu box allows keeping all the mechanical properties of the steel tubes used for the swingarm, while still ensuring it gets as stiff as possible without any sacrifice in terms of overall weight.

The geometry is indeed really fast, and yes, you can notice some Balfa influence in the design... However, the Furax also greatly results from Phil's extensive experience and devotion for both DH racing and the company...
This design is low maintenance yet very efficient on the course. It was developed on the very demanding Mt Ste Anne and Bromont courses where it feels right at home...

Keep an eye out as you'll be seeing quite a few Furax frames on the Canada Cup and WC events, US Open and Crankworx this year, with Dubé, Ulmer, Laplante, Hendren and the ImpactDesign race team on the bike...

Here's a short clip of the Furax in action if you're interested...
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/49360/

wow - post count to "0" - must have been a loooong time !

Apr 23, 2009
Well I thought that I would like to add to this topic, I just recieved my Furax on Friday and built it up. I ordered the Team bike build kit and I must say for $5400 CDN it come with some pretty killer parts:

-2009 Boxxer Team
-Holzfeller Cranks
-DT Swiss Wheels
-X.9 Der.
-I upgraded to the Chrome Cromag Bar :thumb:

My first ride impressions are...WOW. Just like the old Balfas the Furax seems to almost extend its wheelbase when cornering or hammering through fast rocky sections, this is good for keeping it together at speeds! Just like most single pivot bikes the suspension system WANTS to jump. Unlike most VPP which want to stay on the ground, the Furax just begs to be in the air.

Also a thing that is a personal preference is having a quite bike. With a few strips of velcro and some rubber tubing I have made the quitest bike I have ever had. Since the rear end is steel you don't get that loud echo that you do with aluminum. The velcro and tubing was just added for protection and for that esxtra bit of silence

So far overall I have to say the bike is awesome...the bikes are designed and built in Quebec and you can see that Bromont and Mount St. Anne really had an influence on how the bikes were built. Makes sense though, I would rather have them build a bike that they KNOW will perform in certain areas of riding (i.e. rocks, steeps, east coast riding) than guessing on what someone in Utah and California will want in a bike for their type of terrain.

A lot of thought and detail go into the design of these bikes. While they may not suite every type of riding in the entire world, they do excel in the type of terrain that they were designed and built around.

Here is a pic of my bike:

Attachments

blacksim549

Chimp
Oct 15, 2007
Quebec.
Just tried mine in my street and the first feeling is awesome. The rearward axle path wants to eat everything.

And yes, it has a little bit of flex. But which bike doesn't have some?

I'm gonna ride it sunday at Bromont. Can't wait to my first ride of the year.

Wilson

Chimp
Feb 17, 2007
Just tried mine in my street and the first feeling is awesome. The rearward axle path wants to eat everything.

And yes, it has a little bit of flex. But which bike doesn't have some?

I might go try my Session at Bromont this sunday too. Any idea if we finally can get our season pass?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Just tried mine in my street and the first feeling is awesome. The rearward axle path wants to eat everything.It's hardly rearward mate, maybe for the first inch or two of travel(sag).

And yes, it has a little bit of flex. But which bike doesn't have some?In theory, anything with a high and low mounting point for the swing-arm, be it Horst link, Faux bar, VPP, or even single pivots like the Lahar, anything that doesn't just rely on one pivot for the rear to swing off. Obviously pivot size can help over come this to a degree.

Look forward to a report, they sure look fast.
I think they look great, and would be a blast on less rocky tracks.

blacksim549

Chimp
Oct 15, 2007
Quebec.
I tried mine last sunday. Not quite enough to make a relevant review, but from what I can say, is that the bb is pretty high, but the short chainstay make it extremely easy to corner and control. It is more made for intermediate/advanced riders due to his geometry.

I'm gonna ride it again next week and try to find a killer suspension setup.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
In theory, anything with a high and low mounting point for the swing-arm, be it Horst link, Faux bar, VPP, or even single pivots like the Lahar, anything that doesn't just rely on one pivot for the rear to swing off.
Buzzzz, wrong.

blacksim549

Chimp
Oct 15, 2007
Quebec.
That's it, first ride of the year. Muddy, freaking cold, windy....but it's been nice!

The Furax felt very good. I don't know if it's because of the Vivid vs DHX Air, but the Furax felt a lot smoother than my '08 Wilson.

The Furax has also a high bb, and doesn't really stick to the ground as my Wilson did, so it requires more skills to handle it. But, the bike stills very easy to corner because of the short chainstay.

It is not very detailed, but it is the beggining of the season and I didn't passed that much time on my bike. The only thing I can say is that it is not a beginner bike due to his geometry, but it is an awesome bike and I prefer it to my '08 Wilson. Plus, with Xprezo you get an awesome high quality hand made frame and you sure can count on the guys up there if you have some trouble.

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Sounds crazy to bump a thread this old but any more opinions on this frame now that it's been out there a while? Spoken to a few riders that are on them and everyone seems to be loving them.