Quantcast

Just finished my roof!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Holy crap i feel good...and tired.

I've been preparing to do my roof for the past 8 weeks or so. My dad blessed me with some unexpected cash for whatever and so i decided to replace my aging roof. Lucky for me, i have a bunch of friends at work who have done or have helped do a roof or ten. I don't think i've been so stressed in my life more than the past few weeks of making sure i have everything and making sure i had enough help. i'm a cheap bastard and refuse to pay top dollar for anything. i found the shingles, 21 square, in east Tennesse, about 3 hours away for $525...about $1200 less than what i would have paid at Lowes. I got my nail guns at a pawn shop for a fraction of the new cost and borrowed any tools i didn't already have. several of my brothers in blue showed up yesterday and today and we slapped it all together, repairing anything that needed it along the way. my kids even helped out, especially my girls.

so anyway...i'm just super stoked to be done with my first roof! Now i know why most roofers and painters are alcoholics ;)

only pic i have uploaded so far:
my girls up on the roof bringing me shingles. last night it was just me and 1 other guy trying to finish one side of the roof. my girls worked harder than most men and placed the shingles ahead of us so i could just come by, line them up and nail them in w/ the gun....i r a proud dad :thumb: :D edit: the bike helmet/plastic fire helmet was their version of a hardhat...all on their own :rofl:

i know..."neat story bro" ...but i'm just excited and had to express my gratitude for having it done and make a statement about good friends.

:cheers:

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Good thing you waited till after the Monsoon ended. Apparently the Greenway out to the lake was seriously flooded.

For those that don't know the area where we live got about two months worth of rain in two days.

Good job Barbrady.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I guess thats one of the good things about the Colorado Front Range. What with the Hail, wind, and occasional tornado, the average life span of a roof here in the Springs is 7 years. Allstate is paying to have mine done next month, :thumb:

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I'm building a deck right now. The roof is next year. It needs some decking work, so I'll have my work cut out for me. I'm a little leery of one side, as the power mast goes to the roof. Then it'll be time to redo the floor and subfloor in my kitchen and dining room. Aside from the expense, I like working on these projects.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I like how your kids are wearing toy fireman and pink bike helmets while on the roof.

Good to encourage workplace safety.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I like how your kids are wearing toy fireman and pink bike helmets while on the roof.

Good to encourage workplace safety.
Bah....what could go wrong?

Parents today are such nervous nellie's . Why in my day, I was out filling potholes on the expressway when I was four years old in a black sweatsuit....

Last edited:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Bah....what could go wrong?

Parents today are such nervous nellie's . Why in my day, I was out filling potholes on the expressway when I was four years old in a black sweatsuit....
sarcasm aside...one of my better assistants in this project put on his first roof with his dad when he was 8....i mean, actually laying shingles and nailing them. around these parts, kids are expected to help around the house...no matter what the project. Noah got into trouble so he was banned from the roof and made to throw all of the loose shingles on the ground into the dumpster ;) good character building work :thumb:

dicey

Chimp
Now i know why most roofers and painters are alcoholics ;)

That ain't no joke. when i was in my twenties i work as a roofer and did plenty of drinking. Now whenever i do a roof to pick up some exta cash it tranlates to a 1/2 rack evening just so i can move my back!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Sweet! Roofing is hard work! We just did our roof this Spring in two and a half days. Tore off all the shingles, re-felted and laid down beautiful new metal roofing! LONG days with lots of lifting, but definitely worth it!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
congrats!!

our next door neighbor is in the construction business and one saturday morning a TON of pickups showed up and by nightfall their roof was done in 1 day too.

JEALOUS!
yup...gotta love having some blue collar brothers! when my brother first finished med school and got his first house, we drove 5 hours down to GA to help him tile the whole house and a slew of other things. i asked him to come up and help with the roof/visit the fam and i got the "i'll try to pencil it in" line (as a partner at his practice he's not lacking in vacation time or travel expense $$ ). on the contrary, 1 email to my coworkers and ~7 guys show up on a beautiful weekend for nothing more than pizza, soda, and a good time. blood is thicker than water....yeah right ;)