Quantcast

just got home from the ER, stick a fork in me

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Moving a patient for transport at 5:30 pm. 3 loud pops in my right biceps just above the elbow. Severe pain loss of arm stregth, crepitis in the biceps, numbness in two fingers.

xrays show no bone damage but I ruptured my Biceps Tendon. I'll be seeing an Orthopedic Surgeon tomorrow:rant:

Just popped a Vicodin for the pain:thumb: it should be kicking in anytime now

Last edited:

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
Wow, that really sucks. How the heck did that happen though? Would it have happened if you had "warmed up?" Perhaps lift some kids first?

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Wow that doesn't sound good man. My fiance has a partially torn bicep tendon. She recently got a cortisone injection to help it heal, but she keeps re-injuring it. I am afraid that might happen to her soon.

Best of luck man and heal up quick.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Sucks, brother. I did my achilles a year ago...

The good news is, unlike ligaments, tendons heal really well if the rupture wasn't too close to bone. A good surgical repair and you'll be surprised how fast you're back in action.

greenhood

Turbo Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
SEATTLE-MINNEAPOLIS
Moving a patient for transport at 5:30 pm. 3 loud pops in my right biceps just above the elbow. Severe pain loss of arm stregth, crepitis in the biceps, numbness in two fingers.

xrays show no bone damage but I ruptured my Biceps Tendon. I'll be seeing an Orthopedic Surgeon tomorrow:rant:

Just popped a Vicodin for the pain:thumb: it should be kicking in anytime now
Doesn't taking Vicodin compromise your twenty years of sobriety?

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Sucks bro. Heal quick. I thought I was gonna be in perpetual pain/discomfort when I tore my achilles about 1/3 through. Some orthoscopic, 3 small scars, 2 months, and I was back on the bike like nothing happened.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
Tore the distal head of the right biceps, that leaves two heads.

I have two options

No surgery and I am out a month but I will lose 10 to 15 percent of my arm strength and my bicep will look funny

Surgery 3 months in a brace 3 months of rehab may get full strength back

I will probably opt for the surgery and have it done early next week

http://www.eorthopod.com/public/patient_education/6585/distal_biceps_rupture.html

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
sober |ˈsōbər|
adjective ( -berer , -berest )
not affected by alcohol; not drunk.
• serious, sensible, and solemn : a sober view of life | his expression became sober.
• free from alcoholism; not habitually drinking alcohol : I've been clean and sober for five years.

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
I had a complete distal tear about 5 years ago. Playing hockey, went to take a slap shot, stick got tied up, forcefully straightened my arm. there is nothing quite like actually feeling the muscle tear, and know exactly what happened.

Anyway, I was getting married in 3 months and didn't want to be in a brace so I opted for no surgery. doctor said I could continue to ride and workout as I couldn't do any more damage. I didn't ride for about 2 months. What I did do what i believe aided my recovery the most, was I continued to workout along with going to therapy. I would weigh train with little or no weight but went through the motions to get blood in the area to promote healing. What ended up happening is my biceps ended up attaching to the distal end of the brachialis tendon. I do have a little of the weird gap but it's hardly noticeable. Doctor said that I wouldn't of healed better if I had surgery.

Long story short, keep it moving and locked of ice.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
just got back from the pre operation physical

Lungs, clear
Pulse 61
BP 117/77
heart ok
head: screw Loose

cleared for surgery at 9am tuesday

actually the doc said I was in great shape for 52...except for having a blown biceps tendon