Quantcast

Just ordered some Mallet C clipless/ now which shoes?

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
hey i just ordered some mallet C clipless pedals for DH racing and now im wondering what are some good shoes to get to go along with these thanks

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
The Shimano DX shoes are really nice. I have a pair and they are pretty comfy and have ankle protection. People also really seem to like the Adidas Hematomas.

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
ok thanks guys, ive read somewhere that someone said that not all pro racers run clipless? i thought most of them do, or is it just certain races they dont run clipless for because it would be too muddy or something

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
xemini said:
ok thanks guys, ive read somewhere that someone said that not all pro racers run clipless? i thought most of them do, or is it just certain races they dont run clipless for because it would be too muddy or something
It's all personal preference. If you feel more comfortable on flats you will ride faster. Same thing with clips. Some riders switch between the 2. But you should just ride what you feel most comfortable riding.

jus

Chimp
Nov 3, 2004
The 661 Launch shoes are very nice as well, good fit, good protection and look good. I would suggest getting a "skate style" shoe instead of an XC shoe if your running the mallets because you need the sole to rub on the outside of the pedal. Or else i found they unclipped way to easily.... Or maybe i just didn't have mine shimmed properly.... Good Luck!

jdp526

Chimp
Mar 26, 2006
I have the Specialized Taho MTB shoes and they are very comfortable. I am using the Candy C's.

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
jus said:
The 661 Launch shoes are very nice as well, good fit, good protection and look good. I would suggest getting a "skate style" shoe instead of an XC shoe if your running the mallets because you need the sole to rub on the outside of the pedal. Or else i found they unclipped way to easily.... Or maybe i just didn't have mine shimmed properly.... Good Luck!
How many shims were you running in yours?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
matt12 said:
What does everyone think about the 661 SPD shoes? Any good?
i used them with flat pedals, the sole wore out pretty fast.
i used two shim when i tried them with mallets and the short traction plates.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
Shimano DX + Mallet vote #4. The new ones for this year are much less ugly and don't resemble a slain armadillo like the older ones I have.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I use the 661 Launches with mine...they could probably use a shim or two. Needs a bit more clearance.

No problem with my XC shoes, though...

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I'm just trying to find a decent shoe in the 70-80 range to go with the mallets.

I'm getting both this week. That's why this thread was revived because I did a search, but I didn't find a definitive response...

so any ideas would be great.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
trumbullrider said:
I am running xc style shoes with my mallets, I used no shims and its works perfectly
The size of the mallets is great for finding the pedals when there are more important things to be focusing on, but how is the grip just as you're trying to clip in with the XC type compared to sneaker type shoes?

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
trumbullrider said:
I am running xc style shoes with my mallets, I used no shims and its works perfectly
My concern there would be a hard rubber sole would be slippery as hell on the rocks on those fun east coast runs....

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Superdeft said:
The size of the mallets is great for finding the pedals when there are more important things to be focusing on, but how is the grip just as you're trying to clip in with the XC type compared to sneaker type shoes?
Just as good as my Launches (skate style)...Still plenty of grip. Perhaps it's my shoe, I dunno (Gaerne...not made anymore).