Quantcast

Just scored big time...twice today!

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Ok, so yesterday I had an apointment at get my truck aligned, balanced and tires rotated at Firestone. Well, I show up at 8am like I was supposed to and they told me "two of our guys called in sick and we cant work on your truck." That sucked because it was my day off etc. So, he moved it to this morning.

I walk in and it was the same guy and he's all "well, thanks SO much for being understanding yesterday so I'm giving you a free lifetime alignment, free tire rotation, and half off the wheel balance!" I've gotta say those guys are awesome!!

THEN...driving to work I stopped off at Ford to say hi to my buddy. They just happened to be giving away free lift passes for Mammoth! Now I know what I'm doing this weekend!!

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Ok, so yesterday I had an apointment at get my truck aligned, balanced and tires rotated at Firestone. Well, I show up at 8am like I was supposed to and they told me "two of our guys called in sick and we cant work on your truck." That sucked because it was my day off etc. So, he moved it to this morning.

I walk in and it was the same guy and he's all "well, thanks SO much for being understanding yesterday so I'm giving you a free lifetime alignment, free tire rotation, and half off the wheel balance!" I've gotta say those guys are awesome!!

THEN...driving to work I stopped off at Ford to say hi to my buddy. They just happened to be giving away free lift passes for Mammoth! Now I know what I'm doing this weekend!!

just remember diesel gels in really cold temps [like at mammoth] so you better add some diesel fuel treatment to the tank if you don't want to be towed home.....

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
just remember diesel gels in really cold temps [like at mammoth] so you better add some diesel fuel treatment to the tank if you don't want to be towed home.....
Shh... Don't tell him that. You're going to let the awesomeness for the rest of us expire.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I dunno what fuel is like in cali, but I have started my truck, in sub zero temperatures, not plugged in, in multiple occasions this winter with absolutely zero problems.

Don't get me wrong, it likes to start better plugged in, and it's kinda angry at first, but I have had ZERO fuel issues.

I know we have "winter" fuel, but I dunno what is added or not added to prevent that.

My truck also sits m-f 99% of the time. Again, haven't needed any fuel treatments.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I dunno what fuel is like in cali, but I have started my truck, in sub zero temperatures, not plugged in, in multiple occasions this winter with absolutely zero problems.

Don't get me wrong, it likes to start better plugged in, and it's kinda angry at first, but I have had ZERO fuel issues.

I know we have "winter" fuel, but I dunno what is added or not added to prevent that.

My truck also sits m-f 99% of the time. Again, haven't needed any fuel treatments.
I can guarantee that you are on winter blend Diesel [ more kerosene content]
he is in southern California so it's a maybe yes maybe no proposition unless he fills at a commercial truck stop or a station up by the resort which is going to cost you mucho bucks. easier to add Power service or Stanadyne performance formula ahead of time

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head

What Eric is saying below is very true here. Its a really good idea to get teh cold weather additive for your deisel fuel here.....

he is in southern California so it's a maybe yes maybe no proposition unless he fills at a commercial truck stop or a station up by the resort which is going to cost you mucho bucks. easier to add Power service or Stanadyne performance formula ahead of time
I would just run off road diesel, cheaper and you gvet more power.

Ha, awesome advice.... Nothing like getting your tank checked to see red deisel and having your vehicle impounded

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Haha, ya ...i'm gonna use addatives for the trip since its supposed to be 14 degrees or something dumb...and I'm camping which is gonna SUCK!! All in the name of fresh powder though :D

How about I just drive my truck over by where my dad keeps our plane and fill her up with jet fuel :P

Speaking of which...would that technically work? There's no way I'll spend the 5.50/gal on it but would it? I know some planes (like the Diamond Twin Katana) have two 300hp diesel engines and they run off of either diesel or jet fuel...whichever the field has. Are plane diesels basically the same as my truck motor?

Haha, ya ...i'm gonna use addatives for the trip since its supposed to be 14 degrees or something dumb...and I'm camping which is gonna SUCK!! All in the name of fresh powder though :D

How about I just drive my truck over by where my dad keeps our plane and fill her up with jet fuel :P

Speaking of which...would that technically work? There's no way I'll spend the 5.50/gal on it but would it? I know some planes (like the Diamond Twin Katana) have two 300hp diesel engines and they run off of either diesel or jet fuel...whichever the field has. Are plane diesels basically the same as my truck motor?
Depending on the cetane value of the jet fuel and the temperature of the engine it might be necessary to add a cetane booster to the jet fuel(commonly sold). A lubricating oil will need to be added to to keep injectors happy. The viscosity of jet-a is about 1.3 vs. regular diesel that is in the 3.2 area. So the bottom line is that although Jet-A may not cause immediate damage to a diesel engine and may allow the engine to run OK, its use may cause premature wear or fouling of the fuel system, and you may be breaking EPA regulations as well as not paying appropriate taxes.
Plane diesel engines are designed to run on fuel that has low lubricating qualities as opposed to diesel you buy at the normal pump. Kind of like running 10 weight oil in a car designed for 30 weight..... long term use would probably kill your injectors/engine and for sure the pocket book;)

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Depending on the cetane value of the jet fuel and the temperature of the engine it might be necessary to add a cetane booster to the jet fuel(commonly sold). A lubricating oil will need to be added to to keep injectors happy. The viscosity of jet-a is about 1.3 vs. regular diesel that is in the 3.2 area. So the bottom line is that although Jet-A may not cause immediate damage to a diesel engine and may allow the engine to run OK, its use may cause premature wear or fouling of the fuel system, and you may be breaking EPA regulations as well as not paying appropriate taxes.
Plane diesel engines are designed to run on fuel that has low lubricating qualities as opposed to diesel you buy at the normal pump. Kind of like running 10 weight oil in a car designed for 30 weight..... long term use would probably kill your injectors/engine and for sure the pocket book;)
Good info, thanks!!
Ya, my dad was not sure on what the differences were and he's been flying jets for 35 (or 37 not sure) years. I never really planed on doing that but was just curious! Flying bonanza's and piper archers I never have even touched a pump for jet fuel :P

Good info, thanks!!
Ya, my dad was not sure on what the differences were and he's been flying jets for 35 (or 37 not sure) years. I never really planed on doing that but was just curious! Flying bonanza's and piper archers I never have even touched a pump for jet fuel :P
welcome, i actually got the info from my dad... he is a chemist lol
what he did not know is if it would run better until it caused damage.... that is what i was pondering not that it would be worth it just curious as well

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
That's why I wondered, I hear of people having issues from time to time, but nothing recently, like I said I let my truck sit quite a while from time to time and even in sub zero weather don't have issues.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
What she said about the Cetane and visc of the fuels......

You would see injection pump wear, and top compression ring wear. it wont actually hurt the injectors themselves, those are not unlike what you will see in a jet engine.....

depending on the cetane value of the jet fuel and the temperature of the engine it might be necessary to add a cetane booster to the jet fuel(commonly sold). A lubricating oil will need to be added to to keep injectors happy. The viscosity of jet-a is about 1.3 vs. Regular diesel that is in the 3.2 area. So the bottom line is that although jet-a may not cause immediate damage to a diesel engine and may allow the engine to run ok, its use may cause premature wear or fouling of the fuel system, and you may be breaking epa regulations as well as not paying appropriate taxes.
Plane diesel engines are designed to run on fuel that has low lubricating qualities as opposed to diesel you buy at the normal pump. Kind of like running 10 weight oil in a car designed for 30 weight..... Long term use would probably kill your injectors/engine and for sure the pocket book;)
ftmfw

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
how often do you see non-commercial vehicles getting their tanks checked??
I work with a few ex cops, and I've asked them all what the chances of getting your tank dipped was. Only the ex MP from a super rural post even knew what I was talking about, he said without a commercial license I really didn't have anything to worry about. I still run regular though, the station that sells the red stuff now is really expensive and it's only 10 cents a gallon more than the cheep regular stuff. This is also in the bay area, the central valley is a whole other story form what I've heard

Last edited:

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
I know its a long ways from most of you, but in Idaho, my dad's tank gets dipped at every weigh station and at every entrance to an auction. In rural areas almost every single farmer has a tank on site with ag diesel and everybody used to fill their trucks from it, but there has been a HUGE crackdown (probably b/c current price where he lives is $250.00/100gal vs. $3.75/gal for pump fuel). I think its a bigger deal in rural areas than urban. I bet if you were cruising around a metro area no one would care but in farming areas and ag-heavy areas cops can dip your tank anytime they pull you over as well as the scenarios mentioned above.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Not once ever, also don't ever recall it happening to any of our work trucks when I was in construction (we probably had 30+ heavy duty trucks on the road at any one given time and another 5-10 one ton trucks). I don't know anyone who has personally been checked either.