Quantcast

Kashima or not to Kashima, that's the question

Pashley 24Mhz

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Belgium, Europe
So I'm in the market for a new 120mm fork on my trailbike.
I've got the choice on a Fox 32 f120rlc fit and a Fox 32 f120rlc Kashima.

The non Kashima is new, the Kashima is slightly used and would cost me more than the non Kashima.

So, are there differences in feel between the 2? Does a recreant feel the difference in coating, or is it just a mind game? Are there specific reasons (aside from looks) I should go for one of the 2? How about wear on Kashima stanctions, anyone heard problems with this?

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Thats actually a very good question. :-)

I read that the Coating has mizillions of little pours that help the oil cling to it. So in theory makes the fork smoother as the seals are been lubricated..

please correct if wrong ;-)

So all your getting is slightly smoother forks, with some bling gold. :-D

I think the main thing should be if they come with the FIT cartridge.Meant to make a big difference.

how much more is the kashima over the non-kashima fork? if both are close enough in terms of condition ( i know one is used, but if it's in mint condition), i would pay probably up to $100 bucks extra for the kashima.

it may also depend on what kinda terrain you're gonna be riding on. if its going on a xc bike, and your trails are fairly tame, that extra smoothness and small bump compliance may not matter much. if the trails are rough or if your ripping it, i would get the kashima no question.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Thats actually a very good question. :-)

I read that the Coating has mizillions of little pours that help the oil cling to it. So in theory makes the fork smoother as the seals are been lubricated..

please correct if wrong ;-)

So all your getting is slightly smoother forks, with some bling gold. :-D

I think the main thing should be if they come with the FIT cartridge.Meant to make a big difference.
Sort of but not really. Think of it as a teflon type material impregnated in the material itself, so as it wears it releases more of the teflon.

Kashima Coat is a proprietary hard anodizing processing that Miyaki Company of Japan has invented, lubricating molybdenum disulfide deposited via electrical induction into the billions of micro-pores on the surface of hard-anodized aluminum for better lubrication and less abrasion and wear.

There are about 70 billion of anodic cells in 1 cm2with molybdenum disulfide deposit and penetrated into micro-pores from the bottom of each cell per right picture, and Kashima Coat improves on lubrication and corrosion resistance of conventional hard anodizing and other common types of coating such as Teflon, Graphite, and Tungsten disulfide.

http://www.kashima-coat.com/en/experience/whats_cashima_coat.php

Last edited:

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
i'd go for whichever one has the old school open bath damper. i really like the feel of those a lot more than the FIT dampers.

Kashima is sick tho, definitely worth it.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
My Fox 36 Talas RLC 160 has been in my hands for almost a year now. The fork has been flawless. Its still really smooth, stanchions are clean despite one rock encounter.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
There is one benefit of a kashima fork that is not debatable-

If you're the type of guy who sells your stuff after 1 season, I'll bet you'll get a higher return on the kashima fork.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I can't specifically answer your question, but after having owned a 2011 180 kashima and now a 2012 Fox 40, I can tell you that Fox is doing some damn good things with their forks, kashima or not.
My 2012 fox 40 is the best fork that I have ever ridden period. I think it is a combination of the things that they changed in 2011 as far as kashima and the new compression setup. Now, the 2012 forks have the new skf seals and
the damn fork just rides incredible.
You did not mention whether both forks are 2012 or not, but I would be willing to pay a little more for the 2012 model if all other things are equal.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
kashima for sure (if the used fork has no damage)

kashima feels really sweet on Fox, especially on the larger 36 and 40 forks which can feel a little 'sticky' with the regular stanchions

Kashima with the SKF seals does not put Fox forks too far off current Marzocchi forks in terms of small bump sensitivity

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I cycle my fox 180 talas kashima and i can smell the fluid more than my old one non kashima. Dnt know if that has to do with the kashima but it smells of fluid. Not leaking just had the new skf seals I stalled and foam rings.

Definently go kashima if its not much more, better resale and smoother you can upgrade to the new foam rings and seals.

samIam

Chimp
Jun 23, 2011
Something to consider, kashima is available as an aftermarket mod for upper tubes by a lot of motorcycle shops. The usual cost is 600 dollars. I would get the kashima coated fork.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
something else to consider: honestly, I'm skeptical that the annodizing on the fork really makes that big of a difference, and that you probably wont feel a huge difference between kashima and not kashima, but I'll put out another vote for the kashima, because the newer seal design is pretty huge, and the fact that the fork is more abrasion resistant (and I'm significantly less skeptical of this having seen kashima forks hit rocks before). Scratches are less likely, seals are better, and resale is higher.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I cycle my fox 180 talas kashima and i can smell the fluid more than my old one non kashima. Dnt know if that has to do with the kashima but it smells of fluid. Not leaking just had the new skf seals I stalled and foam rings.

Definently go kashima if its not much more, better resale and smoother you can upgrade to the new foam rings and seals.
My 40 does this aswell,at first I thaught it was leaking.

matsO

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
What about looking into another brand of forks? FOX are in my book not known for being smooth.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
new SKF seels are available aftermarket as well...........correct? There's one of the 2 for cheap. I put Kashima stantions on my 2010 40 RC2 and it made a noticeable difference as well to being very durable and pimp looking. I'm going for the seals next.