Quantcast

Kashima

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Completed my 1st off-season project for my DH bike. New Kashima Stantions for my 2010 40 as well 2011 stickers and a full rebuild. I have a new KMC X9 Sl to replace the year old X9 Sl and some new Tro Lee ODI grips. Next on the list is some new tires.......Muddy Mary 2.35's, a new rear 729 (mine is true but riddled with dents, and some Canfield Crampon pedals.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
About $400 CDN. I scratched my original stantions earlier in the year so this was much cheaper then buying a new fork.

Henkka.k

Chimp
Nov 13, 2007
If 40RC2 Kashima fork is really smoother than old models I would expect Fox to give same data how much better it is. They have not release any data related to that. That's why I think Kashima is just a hype, and Fox had to do something to sell the forks.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
If 40RC2 Kashima fork is really smoother than old models I would expect Fox to give same data how much better it is. They have not release any data related to that. That's why I think Kashima is just a hype, and Fox had to do something to sell the forks.

mehhh....From what I understand Kashima is not as smooth of a surface as Anno. It actually lets oil absorb into it which better lubricates the seals and such. For me....this wasn't the reason I got them...I had 2 scratched stantions, and although they still worked fine I didn't want to be replacing my seals more often. I like to to keep my bikes in proper working order as well.

Bike Specs:
2008 Demo 8:
CCDB-just rebuilt (thanks Malcom)
DSP Ti Spring
2010 Fox 40 RC2,
729/Hadley Hubs front and rear DT spokes with Brass nipples
RF Atlas FR handle bar
TWenty 6 Stem
RF Atlas FR cranks 165mm
Syncros pedals
Gamute P-30 guide
Sram XO Shifter and RD
Nokon shifter cable
Dura-Ace 11-23 cassette
KMC X9-sl chain
Thomson post
Specialized saddle
Formula The One Brakes
Maxxis Minion DHF's

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Actually, they have. At the launch they went through all of this with the media, who failed to report it. According to fox, as far as I recall, it is about 1-2% more efficient (less friction) than the standard coated uppers. It is also much more durable, and as the finish wears, more and more teflon is exposed, keeping things smooth.

There is a noticeable difference between a Kashima fork, and a non Kashima fork of the same model. I have been riding various Kashima forks since April, including a Talas 180 and an RC2 40.

There is a reason the automotive industry pays BIG dollars to use Kashima in things like high end drivetrains and engines...

EDIT: BIFF, it is actually smoother than ano. It does not let anything absorb into it, the coating itself is impregnated with Molybdenum disulfide, molecules that it exposes as it wears.

See more here: http://www.kashima-coat.com/pdf/English_pamphlet.pdf

This is from the Miyaki company, the Japanese corporation that invented and owns and licenses Kashima coat.

Last edited:

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
EDIT: BIFF, it is actually smoother than ano. It does not let anything absorb into it, the coating itself is impregnated with Molybdenum disulfide, molecules that it exposes as it wears.

See more here: http://www.kashima-coat.com/pdf/English_pamphlet.pdf

This is from the Miyaki company, the Japanese corporation that invented and owns and licenses Kashima coat.

interesting. I remember reading some info stating that the surface was poress and absorbed oil. Either way I'm sure they'll work well and more importantly be tougher.......although I found the anno'd stantions to be quite tough. I expected more damage then occurred.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
According to fox, as far as I recall, it is about 1-2% more efficient (less friction) than the standard coated uppers. It is also much more durable, and as the finish wears, more and more teflon is exposed, keeping things smooth.

There is a noticeable difference between a Kashima fork, and a non Kashima fork of the same model. .
Does that mean that you are able to notice a 1-2% reduction in friction?

The way I see it, the main selling point is the added durability. Though a metric for that added durability would be nice to see.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Does that mean that you are able to notice a 1-2% reduction in friction?

The way I see it, the main selling point is the added durability. Though a metric for that added durability would be nice to see.

The durability numbers are available on the link I posted. It is supposed to be a harder coating.

I do notice it is a smoother fork, particularly on small bump compliance. It basically just feels like a bit less stiction. However, for a world cup rider, it can make the difference in 10ths of a second, less arm fatigue etc.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Where do I buy the new cartridge and kashima stanchions ?
Straight from Fox. Call the number on their website.

ouch, is that what they retail for?
Yup, straight from Marzocchi USA. Not cheap but reasonable for a $1500 fork and considering Fox and RS charge at least twice as much.

If you need legs cheaper than that I'll sell my straight gauge ones for $50 for the set.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Yup, straight from Marzocchi USA. Not cheap but reasonable for a $1500 fork and considering Fox and RS charge at least twice as much.

If you need legs cheaper than that I'll sell my straight gauge ones for $50 for the set.
thats just the retail price right?
ima gunna order me some of the new jammies, but not at retail pricing.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Why? The nickel ones aren't as smooth feeling. You shave a red irish cvnt hair of weight and have a more expensive item to bang up, but increase drag from lack of oil circulation on the bushings/seals.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Why? The nickel ones aren't as smooth feeling. You shave a red irish cvnt hair of weight and have a more expensive item to bang up, but increase drag from lack of oil circulation on the bushings/seals.
hmm, maybe im thinking of the black and multi-color ones that were TiNi coated?

really,that oil circulation would be decreased around the bushings/seals?

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Yup. That's why it's advisable to put a foam ring soaked in heavy gear oil between the dust wiper and main seal to keep those stanchions lubricated (in the case of the nickel coated silver ones). Never any need for upkeep with the black ones. I speak from experience of owning.....5 Marzocchi forks with the silver stanchions? And 3 or 4 with the black stanchions.