Quantcast

keep 26" up front, or switch both to 24"?

conleycm1

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
I have a new hardtail frame thats got some clearance issues with a 26" wheels... Even with a tioga 2.1, there's barely enough room to slip a sheet of paper in there. it's not the width of the chainstays that's the problem, but that the way the cnc yoke on the chainstay is made that almost clips the top of the tire.

I want to switch to a 24" rear wheel and keep the tire as narrow as possible. Because of where I live, I'm limited to Kenda tires. The Blue Groove/Nevegals are at 24"x2.5" and the Kinetics are 24"X2.6". Anyone have experience with these tires? Are they really as wide as they claim? I don't wanna run into some "sideways" clearance issues later on, and I'd kinda like a narrower tire. Yeah, I've also looked into getting some BMX cruiser tires...

Also, for the front end, I'm running a 2000 marz z1, old bolt on crown, 130mm. If I put a 24" rear tire in there and keep the front a 26", how much will that slacken my head angle? I've heard something like 3 deg. That's too much for me...

So, to keep my head angle under control, I think I should have dual 24s. Anyone trail ride with this setup (on either a hardtail or dually)? I've researched as much as I could about this subject, but there are some questions that I just had to ask.

When it's all done I'll get some pics up so you can see how we ride DH here in Asia... I'm currently in Sichuan, China. Land access is a whole different story over here! you don't wanna fall into some farmer's plot while riding his sweet singletrack mountainside trail... :) :sneaky:

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
IRC Kujos 24x2.35 rock. I ride a hardtail with 26-24 setup. I ride this bike mostly urban. I prefer the slacker angle up front.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i ride my hardtail with the 26f and 24r and i have a 7" fork on the front of the thing. i ride everything on the bike. urban, partk and fr on it. also i really like the kenetic but they only come in the stick-e in the 24" version though. they use to come in the hard compound. you might just want ot check that. the samething goes for the other tire. also these tires are the claimed width.

as for the headtube angle it will only slacken it like 1 maybe 2 degrees. it will make the bike feel more stable at speed.

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
I second the Kujo for a smaller tire.

What about Specialized, can you get those? They make a 2.3 tyre I belive.

Sorry to get off subject, but what is the riding like there? I have never known anyone who has ridden there.

zachdank

Chimp
Jan 22, 2004
NORCALhellathrowdown
i trail ride w/ duel 24's on my banshee scream. i have no problems whatsoever. i also rock duel 24's on my planet x. duel 24's kill it. here is pics of both my bikes.