Quantcast

Kenda Racers - What do you run?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I've been a Maxxis guy for the last several years (Minion DHF, mostly), but this year the team has Kenda. I haven't used a Kenda tire in years and don't really remember much except I pinch flatted a lot on their non-DH casing/Singleply tires.

So which tire would you guys suggest for hard pack and loose over hard pack courses? Lots of rocks and a bit of sand/loose conditions, but mostly hard pack.

Anyone try their UST tires yet? I would like to run tubeless on Mavic UST wheels.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
I've been a Maxxis guy for the last several years (Minion DHF, mostly), but this year the team has Kenda. I haven't used a Kenda tire in years and don't really remember much except I pinch flatted a lot on their non-DH casing/Singleply tires.

So which tire would you guys suggest for hard pack and loose over hard pack courses? Lots of rocks and a bit of sand/loose conditions, but mostly hard pack.

Anyone try their UST tires yet? I would like to run tubeless on Mavic UST wheels.
Kenda has a sidewall stiffener added in last year or so that has reduced flatting issues.
For the conditions you describe the Blue Groove would be a good place to start.
The Carter tire (Excavator) would be another option as well.
The Nevegal is a good all arounder, working well in a wide range of conditions.
For loose muddy conditions the new Lopes tire is really, really good.

Orfen

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
UP, michigan
Kenda has a sidewall stiffener added in last year or so that has reduced flatting issues.
For the conditions you describe the Blue Groove would be a good place to start.
The Carter tire (Excavator) would be another option as well.
The Nevegal is a good all arounder, working well in a wide range of conditions.
For loose muddy conditions the new Lopes tire is really, really good.
This post was brought to you by Dark Horse Racing tire sponsor. :clapping:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The Dual ply Stick-E compound 2.5 Nevegals have been brilliant for me. I've replaced my old Minion DHFs with them and have been running them now for several months.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Thanks for the input! Believe me, I'm tempted to do the black magic marker thing...but I need to at least give 'em a try first!

I'm kinda leaning towards checking out the Excavator. Maybe run a Nevegal/Bluegroove for comparisons.

Anyone else know anything about their UST tires? Kinda odd that they don't offer it in 2.5....yet. I like the fact that they have a durometer of 42 on the outter casing of the UST tires. But a durometer of 50 on a race tire? That's what their Stick-E compound is...isn't it?! Give me traction!

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
Excavators, or Cut Nevvys. I ran a set of excavators last year and loved them at snowshoe, keystone, and diablo.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
In the powdery loose terrain of Utah the Telonix has been very good. On hardpack the sideknobs flex a bit on the 2.4 though. But how long does it really stay hardpack on a racecourse? Usually it gets churned up and then the aggressive pattern of the Telonix is great. Since it's paddly looking it rolls a bit slow. It's best for steep gnarly stuff.

It can be clipped into a mud tire easily as well.

I've never had much luck with the round profile of the Nevi or the Blue Groove, at least on the front. they both can be good rear tired since they roll well and wear well.

I would try excavators on hardpack and Telonix on loose stuff.

Also, the 2.4 Telonix Iron Cap folding 1000g tire is wicked sweet for easy courses, heavy duty trail use and extended DH races. It's got 60d center/50d side knobs. I run one on the front of my 6" bike pretty much year round. This coupled with the 2.3 UST Nevi (1000g 50/60) on the rear is a good combo. I wish there were more in between thickness tires but these 2 are it.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
I was die hard Minion DHF 2.5 and Highroller 2.5, but tried the Nevegal and really like em. To get a similar width to the maxxis 2.5, run the Kendas in the 2.35.... Still a DH casing.

JKS

Chimp
Feb 26, 2008
Nothing wrong with the Kenda tires, all you haters, Maxxis in my opinion is not the be all end all of DH tires, I personally dont care too much for maxxis and cannot understand why people like them, that being said the Kenda Nevegals and Excavators are both great and are my choice for everything except mud.
The 2.7 Nevegals are insanely wide but work great for the nasty rock gardens on the front. I only rode the excavators a few times but I liked them a lot, I still prefer the nevs over the ex. Haven't used Telonix yet but they are a loose over hard or loose terrain tire, can also be used on some muddy terrain as well.

I used to ride Intense tires and loved them, except for the weight, (heavy) Massive grip though, I was kinda leary about switching to kendas but noticed they gripped just as well and are lighter to boot, Been happy with them.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I was die hard Minion DHF 2.5 and Highroller 2.5, but tried the Nevegal and really like em. To get a similar width to the maxxis 2.5, run the Kendas in the 2.35.... Still a DH casing.
The only downfall to that is that the 2.35's lugs arent as tall as the 2.5's. Actually I should say that the 2.35 is regular height but the 2.5 uses a taller more aggressive knob.

I like the Telonix 2.4DH Stick-E up front for just about everything. I don't have much problem running it in hardpack at all.

The Lopes tire is decent but the braking suffers a little compared to the Nevegal(lack of ramped knobs)

I would say your best bet for a rear Kenda would be either a Nevegal or an Excavator.

-Kevin

JKS

Chimp
Feb 26, 2008
I tried them a few years ago and hated them! I kept them on my bike for the entire weekend to make sure. I was 100% disapointed with them. I think I had 2.5 blue grooves.
The Blue grooves are the worst. Complete crap. The nevegal is miles better then the blue.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I think Kenda tyres are yet to shake the terrible reputation they have from their earlier single ply, hard compound nightmares.

I rate the Stick-E Dual Ply Nevegals as being every bit as good as the Minion DHF overall. Either tyre has it's strong points but IMO the Kendas win out on weight and price.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Nothing wrong with the Kenda tires.
Knobs ripping off and leaving gaps in the casing plus multiple sidewall failures is "wrong" (the knob thing happening on the 3rd ride). When I had "stick-e" nevegals, the tendancy of the tread to rip off of the casing was pretty amazing. Definitely "stuck" to the ground, and not the tire. Warped casings are fun too, they make you think you are going crazy as you re-mount the tire for the 12th time.

It's always been an uphill battle for Kenda. They've always gotten better, but they've always "half-a$$ed" it whenever they've done anything new, so it keeps putting em back to square one.

Last edited:

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
i must be incredibly slow, because i've never had any of the above problems with kenda tires. the podiums were probably a fluke.

chic06

Chimp
Sep 16, 2008
I don't know what the actual number durometer is for the excavator, but the knobs are extremely supple.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
I bet everyone that says maxxis+ sharpie also likes 823's and turners. You are all just a bunch of followers that don't think for yourself. The best tire I have ver owned was a kenda telonix 2.4 that was on sale for 40$. I don't think I will ever get another tire again.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I bet everyone that says maxxis+ sharpie also likes 823's and turners. You are all just a bunch of followers that don't think for yourself. The best tire I have ver owned was a kenda telonix 2.4 that was on sale for 40$. I don't think I will ever get another tire again.
Sometimes there is a reason that a product has a great following. ;)

I like the 2.35 Nevegal UST for trailriding. Mainly because of the lack of an UST offering from Kenda I stay away from their DH tires. So Maxxis it is then, but the Schwalbe DH stuff starts to look interesting too.

JKS

Chimp
Feb 26, 2008
Try michelin for tubeless, excellent tire, yes they are still making dh tires.
Try stans in a kenda, I do it all the time works perfect as tubeless, never had a problem.:lighten:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Try michelin for tubeless, excellent tire, yes they are still making dh tires.
Try stans in a kenda, I do it all the time works perfect as tubeless, never had a problem.:lighten:
I am changing tires too often, so I don't want to mess with Stan's. Did the ghetto thing before but with the availability of a complete UST system I don't see the need.
Michelins are great, however they are so hard to get (and expensive).

Still hoping Kenda brings out UST DH tires with their team being on Mavic.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Although Tire quality is a factor in knowing the best deal,I think it is how, and where, and what you what you ride that determins the best tire for you. Back when I first started racing I rode Tiogas. I was a beginner, not very fast and not on a real DH bike.
I thought they were the best tires I ever rode for my abilitues at the time. very predictable in when they would break loose and when used with a DH tube I never flatted. With my first real DH bike I switched to Nevagals. I was riding a few years, gotten a little faster. I thought at the time these were great tires for my abilitys. A year later I felt they rolled a little too slow for the flowy fast type of riding I was now doing and switched to Michelins. I have been riding tubless Michelins since 2005. This year I am looking for something new, and while I love tubless I find my choices too limited. I have excavators on my 6" bike and they work great. I tried to use them as tubless on my 819's and it was a failure. Besides Kenda saying their tires are not safe to use with stans I gave it a try. Well the tire had about 50 pin holes all around the tire, stans was spraying out like a fountain. I am sure eventually it would have sealed them, but who wants to take that chance. any way For the way I ride I would go with the excavators if they came in a UST version, they are an outstanding tire for my abilities and speed. I have never tried the Minnions, but I just orderd a set of minnions, as set of hutchinson baracudas, and a set of excavators for my dh bike. I am sure I will find the one that works for me. I am a little partial to tubless so I may forego a good choice, for the lack of a tube.
I guess after all his I am just saying many tires are better quality than others, but only you can really determine what the best tire for how you ride is, and sometimes what you rode last year may not work in how you ride this year.

JKS

Chimp
Feb 26, 2008
Yes its true changing tires with stans is a pain, I have 3 sets of wheels with different tires on them for quick changes, but I know not everyone has that option, I am sure Kenda will make some UST DH tires soon, lets hope.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I said maxxis+sharpie and I don't like mavic and I have never owned a turner.
My experience on Kenda was piss poor and I forced myself to use them for a entire weekend just to make sure. So I am not a follower.

I have heard that the telonix and the excavator are good tires, but unless I get them for free to test I am not going down that road again. I feel the same way about hayes brakes and manipoo products too.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Thought I'd bring this thread back from the dead now that I've had a race season on Kenda. Keep in mind I also ran brand new DeeMax (from Azonic Outlaws) this season. I ran 2.5 Excavators set up tubeless w/ Stans front and rear on a Sunday w/ 888. Tubeless psi = 33-35. I weigh ~190lbs w/gear.

Angel Fire - Flatted in practice (created small hole by knob), small flat spot on rear wheel. Chaulk it up to low psi experimentation and AF rocks.

Crested Butte - Experimented with cutting every other shoulder knob off. Felt real good on CB's dirt. Pinch flatted front in practice. Tire rendered useless as it created a small rip in sidewall right by bead.

Nationals (Sol Vista) - Double flatted in practice (front and rear at same time). Same kind of rip in sidewall as in CB. Maybe they'll be fine with tubes. Or not, there were like 5 holes/rips in one of those tires.

Snowmass - 3 flats. 2 in practice, third in race run = dnf. I was pissed.

Sol Vista (sol survivor) - Now back on Minions and tubes, no flats.

I do think I have to run more psi on those DeeMax's compared to the Outlaws (31-33 now vs 26-28 on outlaws). I'm talking with tubes. But I am really starting to like the way more psi feels.

I have never had as many flats in the last 5 years as I did in just this last race season. Was it the Stan's? I don't know. I have stans and excavators on my trail bike with no problems.

Going forward I will not race with Stans. Too much hassle and $$ compared to tubes.

Last edited:

jasonvelocity

Monkey
Aug 26, 2008
Palmer Lake, CO
I raced (when not injured) the whole season on the same pair of Kenda Nevegals that I put on at Angel Fire. Lana just switched from Nevegals to Excavators for the last Sol Vista race. I have been running with tubes this season.

Last season I rode various tires tubeless with mixed results. I think the issue might be with running tubeless. It's great when it works, but otherwise I no longer think it is worth the hassle.