Quantcast

Kenda tires... mother $%&#er.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I bought these Kenda Tinker Juarez tires about a month ago and they really... just... are a mother %&#*ing great tire.

:weee:

Already lots of miles on them, sidewalls are fine, great traction except in the ooze that I try to avoid anyway.

Last edited:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
I just got a pair of the 2.35UST Nevegals and they ROCK!!! I am a fan of Kenda Tires in general and have various models on all of my bikes!
As far as I'm concerned, the Stick-E nevegals are one of the best trail tires ever made. Only reason I'm not still running them is because I wanted a lighter, faster tire that was a little more XCish.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I agree. Kendas are !#_(*&% tires.

Only thing better than a Nevegal that I can think of is if WTB made a 2.35 or larger Velociraptor.

But they don't, so suck it WTB.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
So, which ones should I put on my bike for the winter? Think wet, muddy roots.
If they still made them I'd say Continental Survival pro. Those things were the best. Now... Tomac king of traction... also Kenda. Stay away from the WTB Rajin... had one of those mounted for a race that was in the rain... IT SUCKED! Great mud clearing, but zero traction.

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Part of my winter prep plans... I'd been thinking Kenda. I just want the softest tires I can find. I was running such low pressures last winter that I beat the hell out of my wheels.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
To each his own...
Every tire praised in this thread I consider to be a waste of natural resources.
Velociraptor? Contis? Seriously?
I ran 2.1 kevlar Velociraptors for years. Loved em. Perfect tread for northern California.

I just wish they made them exactly the same tread, but bigger.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I am aiming to get back to Nevegals in my trail bike. Tried the Maxxis Ardent and won't use 'em again.

I refuse to use Nevegals on the DH bike, however. I did my 1 year of time with them in the wet NE summer of 2007....sucko. Sticking to Minions.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I'd like my Kendas if they didn't have that ridiculous textured sidewall designed specifically to make running stan's impossible. Would also be nice if they advertised the fact before you spent $80 on tires, covered them in stan's rendering them unreturnable, and then figured out you had to use tubes.

"!@#$" is right.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
DH - Maxxis Minions and/or Highrollers
Trail/FR - Maxxis ADvantages and/or Highrollers
XC - Maxxis CrossMarks and Larsen TTs

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I run Nevegals on my trail bike and Excavators on my DH bike. I love Excavators with every other mid knob cut off.

The only complaint I have is they're not tubeless. I ran a set tubeless earlier this year and both had weird punctures, my teammate did too, we think it was from the Stans.

Outside of the Stans issue (which Kenda warns not to do) we've only had 1 Kenda with a problem out of 100+ tires.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
I'd like my Kendas if they didn't have that ridiculous textured sidewall designed specifically to make running stan's impossible. Would also be nice if they advertised the fact before you spent $80 on tires, covered them in stan's rendering them unreturnable, and then figured out you had to use tubes.

"!@#$" is right.
I've been running Stans on my UST Kenda Karmas for two years now with n'er a problem. I know you can't return them if you use sealants but I've never had to.

Nevegal Stick-Es were great but I wore them down WAY too fast here in the land of sharp plants and sandpaper-rocks.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Nevegal in the front for steering and control. Small block 8 in the back. Good grip. The problem with nevegals in the back is they start to shed the knobs pretty fast here in austin with all of the rocks and ledges. Small block 8's might spin occasionally on a root, but they don't lose the knobs.

Greggah

Motorboat
Oct 9, 2008
Gonic, NH
I've been running Stans on my UST Kenda Karmas for two years now with n'er a problem. I know you can't return them if you use sealants but I've never had to.

Nevegal Stick-Es were great but I wore them down WAY too fast here in the land of sharp plants and sandpaper-rocks.
I run Nevegals on my trail bike and Excavators on my DH bike. I love Excavators with every other mid knob cut off.

The only complaint I have is they're not tubeless. I ran a set tubeless earlier this year and both had weird punctures, my teammate did too, we think it was from the Stans.

Outside of the Stans issue (which Kenda warns not to do) we've only had 1 Kenda with a problem out of 100+ tires.
I just bought Nevegal UST's and used them with Stans. The rear lasted a month before it developed a bubble between the tread and the belt. It went away so I figured the Stans would seal any leak and then all of a sudden it burst while riding on the pavement @ Monkeyfest and the Stans couldn't handle the hole. I had to put a tube in it.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The newer Nevegal 2.35 DTC UST works great with Stan's strip. Old Nevegal UST was standard compound like most UST tires. I've had them on F and R for about a season with no issue.

Has a decent sidewall too unlike the non-UST version though its bigger and heavier too (and heavier than the standard compound version UST). The new 2.1 DTC UST is now in-stock at BTI, probably a great option for a rear tires as the 2.35 DTC UST is a bit big (closer to a Kenda 2.5 in non-UST).

Not a great mail-order shop, but if you have patience (one week for me, ground shipping from CA - was actually in stock as shown), you can get the 2.35 DTC UST for $25 - http://www.beyondbikes.com/BB/ItemDesc.asp?IC=CM-TIR-Nev235US&utm_source=mailer081709&utm_medium=bbemail&utm_campaign=Campaign

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
To each his own...
Every tire praised in this thread I consider to be a waste of natural resources.
Velociraptor? Contis? Seriously?
I used to be totally anti-Conti but they've really stepped it up. The Race Kings are a really good light XC tire. I'm coming around.

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
Nevs are awsome for wet NE conditions- kinda slow, and fast wearing- but the traction is worth it.

Anybody try the Conti Mountain King Black Chilli's? High volume, light (especially the supersonic version) and a pretty soft rubber compound look promising- but the price is freakin redonk...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I got my hands on a pair of MK SSs to try out a while back. They're useless if you ride anywhere near rocks. For just loamy singletrack they're pretty good. The normal heavier ones may be better.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
The newer Nevegal 2.35 DTC UST works great with Stan's strip. Old Nevegal UST was standard compound like most UST tires. I've had them on F and R for about a season with no issue.

Has a decent sidewall too unlike the non-UST version though its bigger and heavier too (and heavier than the standard compound version UST). The new 2.1 DTC UST is now in-stock at BTI, probably a great option for a rear tires as the 2.35 DTC UST is a bit big (closer to a Kenda 2.5 in non-UST).

Not a great mail-order shop, but if you have patience (one week for me, ground shipping from CA - was actually in stock as shown), you can get the 2.35 DTC UST for $25 - http://www.beyondbikes.com/BB/ItemDesc.asp?IC=CM-TIR-Nev235US&utm_source=mailer081709&utm_medium=bbemail&utm_campaign=Campaign
That's a GREAT price (what a supported/sponsored rider pays) I have the 2.35 DTC USTs on my 575 and really like them thus far! I have a pair of the 2.1s too (for when my Blue Grooves wear out on my Orbea).

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
i gotta agree with the majority here that kenda makes great tires .
Heck of a contrast considering when I first bought these tires I posted a "think I found the perfect tire" thread and got responses like this:

hope you like walking...
:thumbsdown:
Kenda + Perfect in the same sentence is as rare as seeing a striped giraffe wearing combat boots dogpaddling in the middle of the ocean.
perfect fire starter is a kenda tire.
I will give Golgi a week before he tears a sidewall