Quantcast

Keystone - Paid in Full Pics

Feb 3, 2002
mile high
ahh, yes. that bridge is fun and welcomed. I didn't ride the right fork (w/drop). The very last pic, I stopped the first time because it looks bigger from the approach. sweet pics.

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO
Most of the bridges on that trail I found to be okay but that long flat one right in the middle of that fast section throws the flow off like no one's business. It's okay just to ride it but I sure do hope it's not in the race course like all the gay bridges on Wild Thing are.

As far as the other bridges go, they're kinda cool, especially that on that drops out onto the ski run. I wish some of the twisty ones were a little more banked though so you could rail through them a little better.

All in all, a very good trail though. Sure beats riding around that damn loggers way and punk rock!!!!

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Hey Billy, nice pics. Question on pic number 3 and 7; that skinny rail that looks like a railroad tie at the end on the bridge, what is the angle of that piece? And how high off the ground does that bridge end at? Is there a transition below it so that you can just launch it? Thanks.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I'm not sure what the angle is, but it is pretty steep (maybe 100-110 degrees) but I think you could kick the back tire and almost ride it down and the landing area isnt real big, and has a small transition but it could be over shot easily with too much speed. It can and has obviously been done, I havent seen anyone do it yet in person but I have seen pics on RM. It's a 5' drop. A Sign is posted on the bridge letting riders know that. I havent done it yet, but I will.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
bpatterson6 said:
I'm not sure what the angle is, but it is pretty steep (maybe 100-110 degrees)
Wow, that is pretty steep, considering 90 degrees is vertical! It's overhanging! :thumb:

DHiDave

Chimp
Jan 28, 2003
Lakewood, CO
I haven't done it yet either. My problem with it is that you can't just ride it straight out after the drop. You have to jog right to avoid a clump of trees as soon as you hit the ground. I think they should have taken out those 2-3 small trees to allow a more straight roll out from the drop. Oh well, at least they are making improvements on the mountain finally!

ladge

Chimp
May 5, 2002
Arvada
The guys building the thing said it was a 5.5 foot drop. There's enough tranny to soften up the landing some. The hardest part is the turn right before the drop. First time I tried it I couldn't get lined up, shoulder clipped the right tree and somersaulted off. Luckily they widened it some the 2nd week. The other hard part is you make a slight turn, then you are at the drop - you almost can't get enough speed to hit it clean. You either have to wheelie off or pull super hard back on the bars - I wish they would have made it a tad bit longer before the drop. I lucked out and was able to clear it after they widened it...

Attachments

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
The turn immediately before the drop does make it awkward - I was able to ride the entire bridge after the 4th try, but was not comfortable enough with the approach to hit the drop yesterday, between balancing on the skinny and negotiating the turn above the drop it feels pretty strange - I don't really think that the trees at the bottom should be much of an issue though.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
that place looks like fun too bad i live in a place with thousands of miles of trails and none of it uper end or stunty type stuff. not even the one ski resort that kinda welcomes us.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
I guess Keystone is proof that things can change pretty quickly - none of the resorts here had anything on this nature last year - and I was pretty sure they never would (for liability reasons). It sounds like things are just going to get better after listening to one of the Keystone employees talking yesterday.

ladge

Chimp
May 5, 2002
Arvada
s1ngletrack said:
The turn immediately before the drop does make it awkward - I was able to ride the entire bridge after the 4th try, but was not comfortable enough with the approach to hit the drop yesterday, between balancing on the skinny and negotiating the turn above the drop it feels pretty strange - I don't really think that the trees at the bottom should be much of an issue though.
This is the third week that wooden bridge section has been up - and strange....it keeps getting wider each week?!?!????!? :p

The high speed singletrack part is now riddled with washboard too :eek: Still fun though.

We stopped and talked to the trail crew. Evidently they are done building for this year, but searching out stuff for next year. They find something, then have to get approval from the F.S.

GOOD NEWS!!!! According to them, they are going to be adding even more stuff next year, including a drop park!!! One of the drops they intend to build is around 20 feet. All of them will have some decent tranny landings. They are also continuing to build some more wooden stuff and more regular good old dirt trail too. :D :D

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
It get wider each week? Or have they just added to the corners so that you can make them without dropping the rear end off of the bridge? It would've been interesting to see them originally if they've grown considerably over the last month, this was the first riding I've done on bridges and 7" seemed pretty narrow to me but.... I thought I heard the employee (who was a trail builder) talking to another rider about a 20' drop next year, he said it was all contingent on approval from the powers that be - of course.