Quantcast

Killington or Whiteface?

nybike1971

Chimp
Nov 16, 2006
Niskayuna, NY
Definitely both.

They are very different: Whiteface is steeper and rockier with much more challenging trails, while Killington has more flow, faster trails but that can lead to quite lengthy pedaling sections if you don't know how to link sections together.

Killington can be a lot of fun on a trail bike, if you are going to be riding all over the mountain, or a DH bike if you link the trails in a more direct fashion and skip the traverses. Whiteface is definitely DH bike terrain.

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Whiteface all the way. Better terrain, better scenery, and a cool vibe to the community. Killington during the summer pretty much leaves you eating pizza at the Outback.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Whiteface a million times over. Killington, despite it's elevation, feels flat aside from two trails. Whiteface has brilliant trails,

Instigatr

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
New Milford, NJ
Awesome advice, thanks. Skiied at Kill many times and figured knowing the mountain would be better. I think I'lll head to Whiteface instead. Going Tuesday 8/9 if my new hanger comes in!

nybike1971

Chimp
Nov 16, 2006
Niskayuna, NY
Rode at Whiteface yesterday for the first time this season and conditions right now are AMAZING! They could use a little rain to keep the dust down but it rides so well regardless.

The trail crew just completed the new entrance to trail 24 and it looks really really nice: a mellow roll in from the fireroad into some steep turns in the woods and then connecting into the beginning of the old 24 singletrack. All of the top section of 24 has received a lot of maintenance and it rides much faster.

26 is in stellar shape with all the work that went it last season, while 27 still has a few deeper holes and keeps you on your toes.

The lower mountain trails are also riding very well, especially Seek and Destroy, Opiate, and South-East shore. North-East shore doesn't look like it has seen a lot of cleaning this year and rides a little rougher but still plenty fun.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Plattekil
Yep Plattekill is very fun too. I think the OP was looking for someplace new to him.
my two favorite east coast spots are Whiteface and Plattekill. Someone once compared us to Plattekill with this analogy: 'Like Plattekill on steroids with rocks that do move".

I think you'll like what we have to offer.