Quantcast

king vs hadley

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
xy9ine said:
pink is 3% faster
My wife saw the card from Chris King the other day about the pink headstes and hubs.

Now, I not only have to get them for her, and build up a wheelset, but now she wants her frame/fork painted, with custom graphics to match!

The way I look at it, is at least she rides. Much better than jewelery or clothes.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
CK stuff is sort of like jewelry, in a way...

They should have TV ads with dancing silhouttes and classical music.

MD

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
WestCoastHucker said:
you mean with the new hadley rim and hadley spokes?
Of course, and to confuse people to think that I dont have them they are labelled "DTSwiss" and "RhynoliteXL" that way I can test them without being out in the open and having it be obvious to people.

SuperSlow

Monkey
May 18, 2004
Bellingham
I think the kings are a little lighter, which makes them faster. I ve had a few sets and they all come loose after the first ride, but never after that

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Only problem with King hubs is that it sounds like you're being chased by a swarm of bees whenever you ride.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
My vote is for Hadley.

King hubs have alot of seal drag on the bearings. They are very hit and miss too. Some of their hubs spin fine but then others have so much drag that you can barely back pedal without dropping the chain. This is after properly breaking the hubs in and adjusting them. This has been on my personal hubs and several others that I have worked on at work.

My last two Hadley hubs have run great. They out perform the King to make up for the extra weight.

As for the noise of the hubs if you put a thicker oil in the hub you can get the hub to quiet down. Just make sure it is not to thick and causing problems with the hubs engagement.

Sep 14, 2004
i think one of the all time greatest quotes ever was when my boss
at the bike shop said "F**K breast cancer, all I want is pink king hubs
and headsets." needless to say it was promptly written on the wall, for all those who can't take a joke, thats what it was and all it'll ever be.

Morgan

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
I think it comes down to pretty color options Vs. only black. I have had both and they are both great hubs. Black is always in style though. Well, gold too.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
IMO these are the best two hubs on the market, When I built my last wheels I was trying to decide which way to go. King had what I wanted in stock and hadley didn't That made for a simple decision in the end. Here are a few things to think about if you are so inclined.

King runs a super eco-friendly operation, you are paying a premium for that when you buy their products but I personally would rather pay more for things and live in a cleaner world. I/m all about responsible business/manufacturing practices. That's not to say hadley runs a dirty operation but King goes above and beyond the call of duty. Of course there is the color option as well, but that's pretty minor in the end. Even if King has better engagement, in the end I've never heard of a hadley failing.

I have been very happy with king products and I have been running them for about 4 years now. The are ridiculously light and sturdy, the "fun bolt" option combined with the stainless ring-drive makes for a beefier hub if that's what you want.

Basically I would go King again (not for any particular reason) but you can't go wrong either way!

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
zedro said:
not if you actually oil the pawls once and awhile...almost silent last time i did maintenance, quieter than Shimano
yup...when mine start making too much noise, I know it's time to do some little maintenance and add oil.

I use a CK front and Hadley rear on my DH bike...great combo.

CK front and rear on my DS bike

Hadley front and rear on my trail bke.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I'd go with king for eco reasons, but thats just me, otherwise you can't go wrong with either

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
No way, dude. They recycle it all and make hockey pucks and kool-aid out of it. And they ship it to starving and hockey-deprived Sudanese kids who were born with AIDS.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I use Hadleys because they are a bit more versatile and a bit cheaper....all the quality of Kings but a little cheaper and available with more options besides silly coloring.....D

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
zedro said:
not if you actually oil the pawls once and awhile...almost silent last time i did maintenance, quieter than Shimano

I'd love to do that but i am waiting for my service tools since march.
hadley PLEASE deliver me my tools!

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
BMXman said:
I use Hadleys because they are a bit more versatile and a bit cheaper....all the quality of Kings but a little cheaper and available with more options besides silly coloring.....D
The only reason they are doing this limited run of pink is for the National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and they are giving some of the proceeds to them.

They're are a couple of charity's that my wife is really involved in, and this is one of them. Which is fine with me, as I like boobies also.

On a funnier note, my wife got me one of those magnetic pink ribbons to put on my truck (breast cancer), and she wrote on it "Free breast examinations".

BalleRacing

Chimp
Jul 31, 2004
Colorado Springs CO USA
The Hadleys have more options for DH than Chris King. I have been running a Hadley in the rear for 2 years with no problems. Chris King you can only get QR or 10mm "Fun Bolts" for the rear, with Hadley you can start out with a QR 135mm hub and then later get a 12mm thru-axle conversion kit and have a 12mm x 135mm hub whick I use on my 2001 Intense M1. Hadley also makes many other sizes and custom ones for Yeti and Santa Cruz, Hadley also makes hubs for Intense. Chris King are also great hubs but you are limited on what bikes you can use them on.