Quantcast

Kitchen remodel

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Final big project of my house.... teh kitchen. I've been saving up money for this for about a year so I wouldn't have to take out a loan to do it.

I’m going with
• new walls/ceiling
• recessed lights (7)
• inner/under cabinet lights (5)
• ceiling speakers hooked up to main sound system (2)
• maple cabinets
• dark green/black granite counter tops (cutting my own from beveled slabs)
• intricate tile back splash
• tile floor
• new stainless appliances

Before:

Current:

Should I keep the cat stencils? :rofl:

Last edited:

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
I feel your headaches! A combination of the first time homebuyers tax rebate (still pissed that for 09 you dont have to pay it back!), and having two contractors in the family, and discounts on appliances made it happen.

Bought a house this past summer, kitchen had all the original cabinets/flooring from the 50s. Knocked down walls, closed up one wall, put down tile, new cabinets, new stainless appliances, lights. Now just decided on a glass backsplash.

used to be just a small opening, made it a HUGE opening

dont have a current pic, but countertops are in after a month and a half delay. Yay for installation **** ups.

Enough hijacking, best of luck....and enjoy eating out!! :)

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
So.... for the granite... I bought three 5'x25" sections of granite for about $900. Going to cut them myself with a circular diamond wet saw. Ive cut a ton of stone and tile, so it shouldn't be too difficult. They are only 3/4" thick, so out of the 4" back splash piece that was included in the purchase, I'm going to cut a 3/4" "bead" which I will offset by 1/4" under the main surface. This should give the look of 1.5" thick granite... ;)

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Americans!!! I scoff at your at your comically large refrigerators and panaromic bench space.
My old man went with stainless steel appliances and a tiled floor when he re-did his kitchen. I'm a fan, should look sh*t hot.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Forgot to mention - I ran a new gas line for a gas range to replace the 220 electric POS. Never worked with black gas pipe before, but it was a piece of cake... just T'd off the existing clothes dryer line in the basement and worked it up to the kitchen. Cooking with gas is so choice...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There was a funny article last week about home accessories you don't need. High on the list was professional grade kitchen stove/oven. I would tend to agree/ While they look cool, I have never needed more than 2 burners at any one time. I am far from a professional chef and my 4 burner setup works great. Plus I'm WAY to cheap to spring for a Viking.

They do look cool, though.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
There was a funny article last week about home accessories you don't need. High on the list was professional grade kitchen stove/oven. I would tend to agree/ While they look cool, I have never needed more than 2 burners at any one time. I am far from a professional chef and my 4 burner setup works great. Plus I'm WAY to cheap to spring for a Viking.

I was a chef:cheers:

Thanksgiving: Turkey in the right oven, Sweet potato casserole and rolls in the left. Mashed potatos cooking on one burner, glazed string beans on another, Soup on a third, Corn on the cob cooking in a pot on a 4th, made gravy on a 5th and tea pot was on the 6th:biggrin:

I had a ball whipping it up

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Yup it's a Viking jetted for propane, 6 burners with a char grill, removable griddle, and side by side convection ovens. Hood is 1200cfm
I got to cook on one of those for a dinner party in a client's home. It had a faucet at the back so you could fill stock pots on the stove. Custom stone work covered the variable speed hood.

She said I was the only one to ever have all six burners going at once.:biggrin:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Forgot to mention - I ran a new gas line for a gas range to replace the 220 electric POS. Never worked with black gas pipe before, but it was a piece of cake... just T'd off the existing clothes dryer line in the basement and worked it up to the kitchen. Cooking with gas is so choice...
FYI, get a dual fuel range, gas cooktop and electric oven. That's what our Wolf is and it works great.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California

We heavily use all our appliances. We entertain quite a bit and have 4-5 burners going at a time. The have the 36" Wolf range and a 27" oven/microwave combo. My wife loves to cook and bake, so at least twice a month she has both ovens cranking. It saves so much time baking everything at once:thumb: I use the range quite a bit myself when I'm not BBQ'n.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I got to cook on one of those for a dinner party in a client's home. It had a faucet at the back so you could fill stock pots on the stove. Custom stone work covered the variable speed hood.

She said I was the only one to ever have all six burners going at once.:biggrin:
I got vetoed on the pot filler when I was doing our remodel. The original location of the fridge was on that wall and it would have been so easy to plumb it.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
FYI, get a dual fuel range, gas cooktop and electric oven. That's what our Wolf is and it works great.
ah yes you live in the city

we hill folk like to be able to cook when the power goes out in a storm so all gas. plus the transmission fees run 2x what we use in electricity and even that has an outrageous fee

thirdly I hate electric ovens but thats just a personal choice:cheers:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
ah yes you live in the city

we hill folk like to be able to cook when the power goes out in a storm so all gas. plus the transmission fees run 2x what we use in electricity and even that has an outrageous fee

thirdly I hate electric ovens but thats just a personal choice:cheers:
For baking and especially broiling electric ovens are FAR better than gas. Gas cooktop is the only way to go.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
Last edited:

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'm a bachelor, and eat like one for the most part so Im going to get a basic stainless gas unit methinks... Im going to try to keep it to $3,000 or so for stainless fridge, stove, and dishwasher...

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
*Note to self: install lower cabinets BEFORE you cut your granite countertops...:banghead::banghead:

I had to extend one of the corner cabinets so the drawers would open... therefore, I was 1.5" short on my granite cut on one side... Not huge, but another $310 for a replacement piece of stone.

Appliances on the way... went with GE line for fridge, gas range, and dishwasher - - EnergyStar baby! :clapping:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Our oven is pretty cool. (came with the house) It's a double, but it's the same size and a regular one. Instead of having the drawing on the bottom, it has a second oven on top. So the lower oven is a standard size, and on top it has a short "pizza" oven. It heats up to 450 in under a minute I think......it's also somehow a convection oven...but I'm not sure how that works.

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
Current state of our kitchen. Just waiting on backsplash and need to install hardware and a few minor things and then we're pretty much done. Nothing crazy huge but if you saw the layout/condition of the previous kitchen, this is about 100x better. I'm just pumped to have a dishwasher again! :)