Quantcast

Knee Braces

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
I use the EVS SX01 knee pads with integrated polycentric knee brace hinges. It doesn't take much for the pads to get torn up, and even small crashes result in busted pads. I might start using some Townsend OA knee braces with my Kyle Straits; with the unique knee joints the Townsends have, this might be one of the better (albeit expensive) options out there due to the "slide and glide" articulation offered.

with a doctor's prescription and decent insurance, you can get a CTi custom molded brace. alot of the MXers out there swear by them.

for something off the shelf, i've heard good things about the TLD Catalyst. Haven't tried them personally, but design and execution looks legit. i believe Fairclough used them for the rest of the season after his ACL injury.

Drth Vadr

Monkey
Oct 5, 2011
I have custom Donjoy Defiance braces with fource point hinges that I will be wearing next year. I'm getting the patella/ shin cups, but I'm not crazy about the attachment system. I like the attachment system of the CTI braces but my sport othropetis denied my CTI request.

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
i've been using the evs sx01 also for about a month now but i'm not sure how much it would actually do. i haven't crashed hard in it yet but the hinges are just kind of sewn in so... i want to try that TLD one too but they only sell them in pairs for $550 and i just want one for my right leg.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
For what it's worth, Brendan Fairclough credits his Troy Lee Designs knee braces with salvaging his season, from a wrecked knee. Troy Brosnan has been wearing them all season as well, just to protect from injury, and Sam Hill runs them. I have also sold dozens to other pro athletes that are not sponsored by TLD. People seem to be loving them.

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
I also have a custom Donjoy Defiance brace (right knee only) that I got after my second ACL surgery last summer. My orthopedic surgeon wasn't interested in discussing any other braces, implying that I should go all out custom or not bother with them at all. The Donjoy rep was very helpful in getting me set up with a brace that worked for all my sports (bike, moto, skis) and fit perfectly. I've been really happy with it.

I used it briefly for DH last spring, but now only use it for moto and skiing. I no longer feel that it's necessary during DH runs, because my knee has recovery enough strength and stability. I also didn't like how it would catch on my seat on the DH bike. On the dirt bike and skis, I never even think about it (well, maybe on the chairlift, depending on the chair).

Killerbarbies

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Slovakia
Not wanting to derail the thread but I am looking for a good quality cycle specific knee sleeve that will give good support and most important can be worn under regular knee armour. Thanks for any advice.

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
if you goto motocrossgiant.com (no spam intended), and i'll bet any other online motocross shop, you can order the TLD catalyst for left or right only.
oh man you're right! thanks! i had give up on getting a single one...i even called TLD on it and they said you have to buy them in pairs.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I have a torn PCL and use a CTI w/ moto kit. I ski and DH with it. It certainly holds your knee together and gives you more confidence. A good friend of mine is also my knee brace guy. He says the Townsend is a slightly better brace, but CTI has the better moto kit/knee protection. But ya, I would agree, get full custom.

Here's my knee brace in action...

Drth Vadr

Monkey
Oct 5, 2011
I also have a custom Donjoy Defiance brace (right knee only) that I got after my second ACL surgery last summer. My orthopedic surgeon wasn't interested in discussing any other braces, implying that I should go all out custom or not bother with them at all. The Donjoy rep was very helpful in getting me set up with a brace that worked for all my sports (bike, moto, skis) and fit perfectly. I've been really happy with it.

I used it briefly for DH last spring, but now only use it for moto and skiing. I no longer feel that it's necessary during DH runs, because my knee has recovery enough strength and stability. I also didn't like how it would catch on my seat on the DH bike. On the dirt bike and skis, I never even think about it (well, maybe on the chairlift, depending on the chair).
No pun, but I think your strength and stability philosophy is a little flawed. If it were that simple,you would have never gotten the injury in the first place. My knees are strong and stable again, but a awkward landing after bailing or getting tied up in the bike during a crash. think prevention.
So far, I don't like that Donjoy pinches my leg against the seat, but I hoping that a leg sleeve fixes the problem. Don't really want to buy new braces.

Last edited:

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
I don't use the brace for protection against additional injury.

I use the brace to support my leg during activities where it can't always support itself. DH typically doesn't stress my leg enough to warrant that extra support anymore. Moto and skiing still can. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited: