Quantcast

Knee/Shin Guards

mtnbiker49

Monkey
Jul 12, 2009
Milford, PA
To revive the thread, Launches are not good for people with thin/skinny legs.

Should I get THE Storm Knee/Shin or 661 Race Knee/Shin from a protective standpoint?

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Anyone using the Alpinestars MOAB knee/shins? I think I've seen generally favourable reviews, but then Minnaar and Strobel run them with the AStars padlock type things so I wondered if they had some slipping/fitting issues. I've got some 661 padlocks anyway, just wondered if anyone had use them?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
my raceface's don't slip because they're 6000 inches long and they can't go anywhere...not necessarily a good thing. Stitching is finally falling apart and I can justify getting something else.

Interesting that everybody has different opinions...some say the lopes suck others say the launches suck...think I might pick up a set of launches based on what I've heard. Heard more bad then good on the lopes.
I've got the Roach Rally DH knee/shin. They've always provided all the protection I've ever needed. They are crazy hot though, and I don't look cool, like at all.

I tried on a pair of the POC legs at Whistler and wanted to buy 'em on the spot. I resisted. They are super comfy though.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I switched from Race Face DHs after taking a stem to the knee when the pads conveniently moved out of place... :think:

Not willing to sacrifice shin coverage, I now have the Fox Launch. Have used them for the second half of the season, and I've been amazed at how well they stay put, and how well ventilated they are. Seriously, they don't move, even after pedalling for ten minutes straight, or after a full day of riding at Whistler. I'm impressed. Can't comment on the durability of the tabs yet, but I'm willing to guess they will outlast the stitching or the webbing. I'm 5'9 with short stout legs (big thighs & big calves). I got the L/XL and they fit great.

So far so good. I highly recommend them. :thumb: :thumb:

Killerbarbies

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Slovakia
Anyone using the Alpinestars MOAB knee/shins? I think I've seen generally favourable reviews, but then Minnaar and Strobel run them with the AStars padlock type things so I wondered if they had some slipping/fitting issues. I've got some 661 padlocks anyway, just wondered if anyone had use them?
Get them, you will not be disappointed. I've had 661, Mace, Race Face DH...not a patch on the Alpinestars. They sit like nothing else. Do not move. Pushing uphill using others I always released them to ease sweating and other issues...with the MOABs I just leave them because you don't realise you are wearing them.
BTW, I'm 5'10" and have the S/M, no problems.
Only complaint is the velcro on the above the knee fitting might catch on shorts.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Updated question:

I switched to moto pants this year and switched to the cheapo Fox Titan knee/shin guards (the $17 pair) because I wanted to try something low profile under the pants for riding the gner.

They work ok, but of course they move around a bit and the top of my knee is awful vulnerable.

Has anybody tried the borg style hinged type pads UNDER MOTO PANTS? On paper, it looks like it would work great. Does anybody have any real world experience with something like these: