Quantcast

knee / shin pads

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Yeah so far I've had decent luck with all my 661 gear. I have the evo knee, race knee/shin, race elbow, and just picked up the assault pressure suit (short sleeve). Hopefully I'll have good luck with the assault suit. I must be the right size that they modeled the gear to fit or something.

Also never try to order any of the 661 gear from their website. They never have anything you need in stock. You can go on Pricepoint or Hucknroll and usually find what you need in the size you want.

rav400

Monkey
Aug 31, 2009
The Right Coast
I've used the 661 race knee/shin pads for the past three years. They would move a little bit, but once they settled in, they would be good. My biggest complaint is the straps were too long. I'm about 5'9" and 150 lbs and had the adult sm/med, but they still felt pretty big.

For 2012, I'll be replacing them and my even older fox elbow guards with the POC Bone knee/shin pads and elbow guards. I found a pretty good deal on them so its time to replace my old ones. I haven't ridden with the POCs yet, but just wearing them around they feel worlds better than the 661's and Fox's.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Digging this thread up again....

I've finally found a DH knee pad solution that I like, which is the O'Neal Sinner. They have the rate sensitive foam that's flexible, protective, and covers at least the top of my shin. The rest of my shins just have to suffer a little beating from time to time. I tried the 661 Pros, as pictured above, and didn't like the fit at all. They also felt really cheap, like most 661 products seem to be lately.

Anyway, now I'm looking for a good minimalistic knee pad for XC/Trail/AM/Enduro/Overmountain or whatever it's called. It doesn't really have to be super protective, as I've been riding XC sans knee pads lately. But, I'd like to pad my knees from top tube and bar bumps, and the occasional small wreck.
The above O'Neal pads are more than I'm looking for.

Has anybody tried the G-Form knees, or new 661 Riots or Evo?

KneePadsBlack.jpg

Any other recommendations for XC?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Uhhh, ok. Well, thanks for the bump.

Anybody have any useful input?

Last edited:

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
2012_RAMPAGE_KNEE_SHIN.jpg

These look pretty legit. Rage knee with a soft lower added for shin protection + only $80?!?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Well, I picked up a set of 661 pros and they were so poorly stitched that I returned them and ate the $24 in shipping costs for here and back again. They looked like a neat idea, but the knee cup was literally an inch higher on one pad compared to the other, and that caused it to not sit right when my knee was actually flexed in a contact position. I broke my rule about not buying anything from 661 and I paid for it, again.

I would not touch those "rampage" knee pads with 10 foot pole, even though they are almost exactly what I bought to replace my 661 fiacos....which are

The Kali Aazis plus 130 knee/shins. The quality of the construction was great, the fit was ultra comfortable, and they are essentially knee pads, which everybody likes, with shin extensions that my shins like. I only have one ride'n'push on them so far, but once adjusted appropriately they were comfortable and stayed up like you'd like them to. Now, provided my jerkoff friend didn't destroy them when he decided to stretch them by hand until the stitching started to pop, I predict they'll last a while and only get more comfortable/form fitting. They weren't cheap, but the sickening experience of buying a protective product that wouldn't actually protect me in a crash was enough to turn me off from buying cheap protective gear.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Well, I picked up a set of 661 pros and they were so poorly stitched that I returned them and ate the $24 in shipping costs for here and back again. They looked like a neat idea, but the knee cup was literally an inch higher on one pad compared to the other, and that caused it to not sit right when my knee was actually flexed in a contact position. I broke my rule about not buying anything from 661 and I paid for it, again.

I would not touch those "rampage" knee pads with 10 foot pole, even though they are almost exactly what I bought to replace my 661 fiacos....which are

The Kali Aazis plus 130 knee/shins. The quality of the construction was great, the fit was ultra comfortable, and they are essentially knee pads, which everybody likes, with shin extensions that my shins like. I only have one ride'n'push on them so far, but once adjusted appropriately they were comfortable and stayed up like you'd like them to. Now, provided my jerkoff friend didn't destroy them when he decided to stretch them by hand until the stitching started to pop, I predict they'll last a while and only get more comfortable/form fitting. They weren't cheap, but the sickening experience of buying a protective product that wouldn't actually protect me in a crash was enough to turn me off from buying cheap protective gear.
Rampage pads pictured above are soft vs the Pro's which are plastic so they're actually quite different. Did you try and contact 661 or the vendor you purchased the pads from before sending back? I had some trouble with the stitching on some EVO knee pads and I had a new pair in 3 days and those are still kickin after 3 seasons of hard riding. Pretty good if you ask me....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
huh? these are real close to those 661s above.

I didn't try to contact 661 and I probably should have, but I decided I didn't want to dick around and in the end, I didn't like the way the pros fit anyways. I contacted the vendor but they didn't do diddly, so I won't deal with blueskycycling.com again. I was out shipping both ways, but I got my money back for the pads, so I was happy.

Sorry if I sound butthurt, my beef with 661 begins and ends with the scars on my knee from running their pads for a season. I don't need to mess around with safety gear, just buy what works.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Digging this thread up again....

Has anybody tried the G-Form knees, or new 661 Riots or Evo?

View attachment 110584

I have a pair of the g-force pads and for trail riding, they are pretty good. I do wish there was more of a cut-out behind the knee though. Every once in a while they pinch from bunching up. Very good for a minimal pad though.