Quantcast

Knife Sharpener

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
What do you guys use to sharpen your knives?
A diamond coated block. Longer is better for big knives, but 8" stones do cost more. It takes a fair amount of practice, so don't do your nice knives first. Stroke into the blade.

You can also do it with a belt sander if you've got one. Place a small lump with a large radius underneath the belt and bring the knife to it at around a 20* angle. Be careful not to remove too much material though.

Diamond rods are reasonably effective, but also take practice.

Steels are only good for straightening out the edge. Place a towel down on the counter, put the tip of the steel into it, press down, and then use it. Unless you are really good, the freehand method isn't all that great.

One other option is to get one of those kits that help you to select the angle at which you sharpen, as this is really critical. Cabela's has them. I've never used one, so I can't vouch for it working on a big chef's knife, but it seems like a great way to get consistent results.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i use the earlier version of this:

diamond wheels, w/ magnets to ensure proper angle. works well, but even using this, a dull knife takes a lot of time to get it sharp again.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
i use the earlier version of this:

diamond wheels, w/ magnets to ensure proper angle. works well, but even using this, a dull knife takes a lot of time to get it sharp again.
Seconded and Thirded. Maybe Fourthed.

Biggest complaint in my universe is, of course, using someone else's dull knives.

They may be of good quality, but 94% of everyone i've cooked for [including some cooks] don't know how to keep a good knife sharp and some of them that do - don't have the time to do it.

I love the Chef's Choice for it's speed, simplicity and reliability.

Imagine using the precision, hands-on sharpening oil stone on a 12-piece set of Henckels in a 20 minute time crunch!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Good to know you guys like the chef's choice dealios, been thinking about getting one of those.

Here's a question: Can I use one of those chef'c choice sharpeners for global knives? I have mostly traditional henkels and wustoff but also a couple of global knives. I've always been told the global edge is different - different angle, different bevel, something along those lines and I don't want to drop the cake unless I can use the sharpener for all my knives. Anyone?

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Good to know you guys like the chef's choice dealios, been thinking about getting one of those.

Here's a question: Can I use one of those chef'c choice sharpeners for global knives? I have mostly traditional henkels and wustoff but also a couple of global knives. I've always been told the global edge is different - different angle, different bevel, something along those lines and I don't want to drop the cake unless I can use the sharpener for all my knives. Anyone?
There is a particular version of the sharpener for Japanese [asian] knives...

It keeps the edge around 15-20 degrees, which is the standard for sashimi [sushi] knives and most Japanese Global cutters.

Also, keep in mind that some of Global knives are designed on the European edge...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
As I've said, the real stuff would put me in the poor house. They eat *that* much. :D
yet you have a $125 knife sharpener that sits unused? your financial priorities are in need of swift alignment.

for the children's sake.

next thing you know, we'll be hearing stories of how you freeze cans of powdered milk for them.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
yet you have a $125 knife sharpener that sits unused? your financial priorities are in need of swift alignment.

for the children's sake.

next thing you know, we'll be hearing stories of how you freeze cans of powdered milk for them.
hmm...

sharp kitchen knives and children...

...naaaahhh...

It's starting to make sense, somehow.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ok I'll have to pick up one of the automated knive sharpeners shown above.

How much do I need to know about using thoes things?

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Ok I'll have to pick up one of the automated knive sharpeners shown above.

How much do I need to know about using thoes things?
Instructions for the Chef's Choice stuff is pretty easy and works like a charm.

You don't need the 120 (three slots) if your knives are in decent shape to begin with.

The 110 (i think just two slots) works fine if they're in good condition but not sharp.

The extra slot was for grinding from 'ice skate' or something totally hammered.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Instructions for the Chef's Choice stuff is pretty easy and works like a charm.

You don't need the 120 (three slots) if your knives are in decent shape to begin with.

The 110 (i think just two slots) works fine if they're in good condition but not sharp.

The extra slot was for grinding from 'ice skate' or something totally hammered.

All you do is just stick the knife in there and drag it thru?

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
All you do is just stick the knife in there and drag it thru?
Yeah, you just drag it through. Although the first time you sharpen a knife on it, you have to condition it - so you'll have to pass it through like 20 or 25 times or something like that. The instructions tell you how many times and reasoning why. I use the Chef's Choice on Henckel knives and they work great.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Yeah, you just drag it through. Although the first time you sharpen a knife on it, you have to condition it - so you'll have to pass it through like 20 or 25 times or something like that. The instructions tell you how many times and reasoning why. I use the Chef's Choice on Henckel knives and they work great.
Thanks man, thats what kind of knives I have too.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
when you use the coarsest wheel, you want to make a slight hook to one side of the blade, and then you start working the other side. it can take many passes depending on the condition of yr knife.