Quantcast

knobbies on a road bike

jollytime

King of the Kingdom
Jul 1, 2003
Vermont
I have a road bike and really want a cyclocross, but don't have the cash. Could I just slap some cyclocross tires on my road bike and ride dirt roads (assuming they fit in the frame and fork)? I don't plan on racing, just spending time peddling on dirt and paved surfaces. Is this a dangerous proposition?

(We have more dirt roads then paved up here...)

J

JRB

If you can find some 25c cross tires. They are stupid thin, but most roadies won't take a big 28c. Like was said, you can ride a road bike on gravel. I don't think it's bad unless it's really sandy gravel, but I would get Armadillos or something else with puncture resistance. Use heavy tubes too. Rocks are super bad for pinch flatting.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
loco said:
If you can find some 25c cross tires. They are stupid thin, but most roadies won't take a big 28c. Like was said, you can ride a road bike on gravel. I don't think it's bad unless it's really sandy gravel, but I would get Armadillos or something else with puncture resistance. Use heavy tubes too. Rocks are super bad for pinch flatting.
Take it to the shop and see what the biggest tire you can safely fit and go from there. If you can get a 28, then you have a few options.

What road bike do you have?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
jollytime said:
That would be ideal!

Anyone want to trade a Surly Instigator frame for a Cross Check???

Why not put some slicks or small knobbies on the Surly? I used to have my old hardtail set up as a road bike. Just put on some slicks and a road crank. Still hauled ass on the roade and was great on the dirt.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Westy said:
Why not put some slicks or small knobbies on the Surly? I used to have my old hardtail set up as a road bike. Just put on some slicks and a road crank. Still hauled ass on the roade and was great on the dirt.
I used to do the same with my hardtail. Worked pretty well...don't have a prayer of keeping up with Sq-Earl though ;)

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Depending on how old your bike is, this can work. You can always get a new cross fork for cheap. Any shop can get you one for $150 retail. I've got one I could sell soon.
Then you just need to find the right tire. Ritchey makes a semi-slick that is low profile enough to clear the seatstay bridge on most road bikes. If you have a newer aluminum or carbon bike, I doubt that this will work at all.

Andy_B

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
whereabouts unknown
I have some Vittoria's CX tires in a 27c that fit on my track bike. The sidewalls are low, not much grip in the mud... But they work for dirt roads.

edit: they will clear brakes as well. I tried them on a roadie not to long ago.