Quantcast

Knolly Podium

mushroom1234

Chimp
May 16, 2010
Hi there,

Has anyone had any experience with the Knolly podium, really liking the frame and thinking about getting one. Been trying to find reviews but there quite hard to come by. Just wondering if anyone has riden one or owns one. Any info would be great.

Cheers Josh

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
My buddy has a spankin new Black anno Podium with a CCDB. Gotta say its pretty nice. He's loving the ride too.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Thinking of picking a large Podium since it seems to be the only bike I can get this late in the season.

Can the large Podium riders chime in with a picture of their whip and their height? I'm 6'5" and want to make sure the bike will fit before I drop a ton of cash on the frame.

TIA!

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Finding DH bikes that fit taller riders is not an easy task. I'm 6'6" and I have to hunt for stuff that works. The Podium feels pretty good, having only just swung a leg over one. I'll be on an FTW FB10, but the Podium and an XL Canfield Jedi were also on the short list.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Im pretty sure Nicolai guys will do custom geo for you and they are produced in germany not taiwan so you may be able to get yours relatively fast.

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
first podium here in israel ! no riding time yet ,but build quality looks amazing
and everything feels very good in the parking lot .will have some riding impressions as ill get some !

Attachments

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Being 6'5" makes finding any bike a challenge. I had my heart set on a Demo 8 since they have the longest front center around but of course you can't get one in a large. The Knolly seems to be about the next biggest frame out there.

My buddy tries to keep selling on the FTW bike but they are just too ugly and the 50" wheelbase seems extreme.

I may just bite the bullet this week and order a Podium.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
One thing I can say about FTW's work is that it is best to not judge it by the numbers, but by how it feels underneath you. If you don't like how they look, well, they are not for everybody. He does make great bikes though.

Can't go wrong with a Knolly either.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Am I the only one who thinks the linkage of that bike is extremely redundant and overcomplicated? I'm sure it's built well and the geo looks good all that stuff, but the two forward-most links seem unnecessary.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Am I the only one who thinks the linkage of that bike is extremely redundant and overcomplicated? I'm sure it's built well and the geo looks good all that stuff, but the two forward-most links seem unnecessary.
You mean more redundant and overcomplicated than a Demo's nest of tubes and linkages? Or the new LaPierre? Or the Giant Fury? Or the Mongoose? Or the Turner dw-link DHR? Or the Evil?

You're right. It's not simple like an Orange or Morewood. It's not a hardtail either!

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Nope. I am sure they could accomplish the same thing mounting the rear shock to main link and still maintain rigidity in the back end.

Regardless, they look like nice bikes and I would happily give one a thrashing if the opportunity arose.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2010
It's a fun bike. It's definitely stiff. I hopped on a friend's 951 and the way he's got it set up, it felt like a slinky compared to how firm my Podium felt. Although he plows over chunk and rock like he's on a groomed trail. I'm still playing around with my rear shock (CCDB's take more time to find the sweet spot) but overall it's a comfortable feeling bike.

also, check out the integrated Hope top crown / stem if you're interested in dropping your front end down. It's very solid feeling and will lower the bar a noticeable amount. The bar is actually sitting just below the top crown. I dig it.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Very nice bike! I like the Hope stem. I have one too and aside from lowering the handlebar it is simply a beautiful chunk of CNC'd AL to look at. :thumb:

I wonder, if they did do away with the extra link it would lower the CG quite a bit. However, it is probably easier to make those links than it is get a shock to go through the seat tube.

Mar 9, 2010
You bring up a good point and one of the benefits of the suspension design is an uninterrupted seat tube. The original Knolly bikes were designed to climb as well as descend (for riders to earn their proverbial turns). They've kept to the linkage design for the Podium -- and evolved it slightly. If you've ever met Knolly owners or read through the Knolly forums, people are extremely passionate about the linkage design. It gives the bike its unique ride and makes perfect sense to carry that on to the Podium. That's why when I went from riding my Delirium T to the Podium, it was almost immediately comfortable / predictable.

Oh yeah, Hope's CNC is a work of art.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
You mean more redundant and overcomplicated than a Demo's nest of tubes and linkages? Or the new LaPierre? Or the Giant Fury? Or the Mongoose? Or the Turner dw-link DHR? Or the Evil?

You're right. It's not simple like an Orange or Morewood. It's not a hardtail either!
Another brilliant post from our resident dildo.

All of those listed have 3 linkage members in the back end. This has 5. I'm wondering what this accomplishes that can't be done with a standard 4-bar.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I was not suggesting they were not. Simply that the reason many other frames are not in store is that we are between shipments from the factories.
Glad you cleared that up. Didn't want this thread to turn into another useless Taiwan debate. ;)

But, I'll also point out that you aren't going to get a frame from Nicolai quickly either. Seems the wait on a custom frame is 3+ months. (What's also funny, is I've been waiting for my Revolt even longer...:think:)

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Well, they just like to leave out that whole "North" part. Much easier to overlook the fact that Mexico and Canada are their primary production/assembly facilities (for the pickups at least), while my Tundra says "Assembled in San Antonio, TX".

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Glad you cleared that up. Didn't want this thread to turn into another useless Taiwan debate. ;)

But, I'll also point out that you aren't going to get a frame from Nicolai quickly either. Seems the wait on a custom frame is 3+ months. (What's also funny, is I've been waiting for my Revolt even longer...:think:)
I'm not sure if it's true but I was told that Nicolai will only make one type of frame a week so you may have to wait a while for the frame you want. At least that's what I was told, sounds a bit odd though.

gmorris

Chimp
Feb 6, 2008
Calgary, Alberta Canada
The additional links allow them to tune the shock rate separately from the wheel rate. This allows them to tailor the suspension curve to specifically match their intended goals. It also allows the shock to sit horizontal which lowers the standover, reduces side load on the shock, allows uninterupted seat tube and good access to adjusters. What more do you want?

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
The additional links allow them to tune the shock rate separately from the wheel rate. This allows them to tailor the suspension curve to specifically match their intended goals.
i'm not knocking the frame in any way when i say this, but this can be done w/out that link. a typical 4 bar can do this.

the rest of the claims seem like nice added benefits however.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
who cares about how many links it has, one ride on a knolly is all you'll need to see why they did it, they are truly amazing. A friend of mine should have his new delirium in this week