Quantcast

KOM'ed that sh!t!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
All Strava needs to record the info is a GPS signal, but it does need a data connection to upload the info and that is when the maps are created. I just wait until I am out of the forest to upload the info.
The app on my phone is call Run the Map. It records everything, but the other day on that trail I've taken you on by special permission, it wouldn't start recording until it had "signal". It didn't tell me what this so called "signal" was referring to. I assumed it was all just GPS. Maybe it was trying to use data?

I just wanna push the button and go....................o.......o...ooo.....oo....ooo......

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
The app on my phone is call Run the Map. It records everything, but the other day on that trail I've taken you on by special permission, it wouldn't start recording until it had "signal". It didn't tell me what this so called "signal" was referring to. I assumed it was all just GPS. Maybe it was trying to use data?

I just wanna push the button and go....................o.......o...ooo.....oo....ooo......
Yeah, it does take a minute for your phone to find a gps signal sometimes. I normally will let it look while I am changing clothes. You know me man, if it was any trouble I would not do it. ;)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I generally agree but Strava makes it easier to spread it to more people, and the racing aspect gives the improper user additional reason to make it public.

We're basically saying the same thing: Strava is not bad, but some people who use Strava are bad. I get it, and I've said my piece. It's starting to sound like a gun control debate and I'm not going there.
At least don't brag about it: http://sfist.com/2012/04/05/cyclist_who_struck_pedestrian_at_ca.php

The cyclist who struck a 71-year-old pedestrian — who later died from his injuries — at Castro and Market Streets last week allegedly took to the Internet on the day of the incident to tell his side of the story. In a message posted on the Mission Cycling Club forum, member Chris Bucchere apparently identified himself as the cyclist responsible for the crash in an incredibly detailed post describing his early morning ride from San Francisco to the Marin headlands and back. From Bucchere's post on March 29th:

Around 8 a.m. I was descending Divisadero Street southbound and about to cross Market Street. The light turned yellow as I was approaching the intersection, but I was already way too committed to stop. The light turned red as I was cruising through the middle of the intersection and then, almost instantly, the southern crosswalk on Market and Castro filled up with people coming from both directions. The intersection very long and the width of Castro Street at that point is very short, so, in a nutshell, blammo.

The quote/unquote 'scene of the crime' was that intersection right by the landmark Castro Theatre - it leads from a really busy MUNI station to that little plaza where The Naked Guy always hangs out. It was commuter hour and it was crowded as all getup. I couldn't see a line through the crowd and I couldn't stop, so I laid it down and just plowed through the crowded crosswalk in the least-populated place I could find.

I don't remember the next five minutes but when I came to, I was in a neck brace being loaded into an ambulance. I remember seeing a RIVER of blood on the asphalt, but it wasn't mine. Apparently I hit a 71-year-old male pedestrian and he ended up in the ICU with pretty serious head injuries. I really hope he ends up OK."

The posts on Mission Cycling Club's message board have since been removed and SFPD still has yet to officially identify the cyclist involved in the incident, so there are still some doubts here, but the DA's office is already looking in to the connection.

According to both the Marin Independent Journal and the Guardian, however, a map of Bucchere's ride recorded by GPS app Strava allegedly showed him doing 35 mph while crossing Market. That ride record has also been deleted, but was referenced by other members of the Mission Cycling forum SF2G forum.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I believe most city streets are 25mph posted.

If the guy couldn't stop in time when seeing a yellow light, then he was going too fast for his equipment and skills.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
I believe most city streets are 25mph posted.

If the guy couldn't stop in time when seeing a yellow light, then he was going too fast for his equipment and skills.
That kind of depends on the road, if it was steep and wet out I could see not being able to stop in a safe manner for a yellow light.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Not only was that really stupid to post, surveillance video apparently proves he was full of crap about the timing, whether the intersection was full, and whether he laid it down.

Everything reported thus far indicates he is an arrogant prick with limited evasive skills and that someone died because he blew a light going for a stupid KOM.

Or, maybe he was just mapping his ride for private use. :rolleyes:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
That kind of depends on the road, if it was steep and wet out I could see not being able to stop in a safe manner for a yellow light.
Then you are out-riding your equipment/skills and the conditions present, thereby endangering yourself and others.

It's like going 65 on the freeway in a blizzard.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I decided to download the Strava app to my phone and use it on some bike park trails. Now my phone looks like the one in Yuroshralp's video. True story. No moar Strava for me.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I decided to download the Strava app to my phone and use it on some bike park trails. Now my phone looks like the one in Yuroshralp's video. True story. No moar Strava for me.
We tried to tell you... keep the phone in your pocket SCREEN SIDE TOWARDS YOUR LEG. But would you listen? :D :D :D :D

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
It's true that Strava is just a tool. But so are a lot of people who use it.

Sorry but every ride is NOT a race. If it were I probably would have stopped mountain biking a long time ago.
true.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
We tried to tell you... keep the phone in your pocket SCREEN SIDE TOWARDS YOUR LEG. But would you listen? :D :D :D :D
It was screen-side towards leg, wrapped in a sock. The ground laughed at my efforts to protect the phone. :( Looking for replacement LCD screens now....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
It was screen-side towards leg, wrapped in a sock. The ground laughed at my efforts to protect the phone. :( Looking for replacement LCD screens now....
cellphoneshop.net Stupid low prices on it all. Can even buy the little tool kit to install it yourself for about $5. Comes from Asia 10 days from now, but stupd cheap.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
I have a two piece cell phone case made of faux carbon fiberz. By 'two piece', I mean that it completely covers the front and back of the phone. When I need to use the phone, I take off the front half and it clips on to the back of the phone.

Has protected the phone successfully at northstar etc.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Strava is a data collection tool.

Take the information and do what you will with it.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
It is a 25mph street. Take a look how sketchy of a descent it is.

http://youtu.be/GJztLihlZ7E?t=2m10s
Ah, was just wondering if he was at least going the posted speed limit before I decided on douchebag.

as far as strava goes- I use it. I don't share my strava results with anyone. Most of my friends don't use it. I ride just as fast with or without it. I seriously doubt I'm the exception to the rule, as with anything, it's the ****ups that make the headlines.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Strava was created by the police state. In 5 years, $872 billion dollars in self recorded speeding infractions on bike and by car will be ticketed and the dictator state will begin. You've been warned.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Okay, so I Stravaed and KOMed a ride......but it was a race so closed course. I thought the app was easy to use and a convenient way to record rides so I'll use it again, but I don't want to always feel like I'm racing or pressured into passing people too fast so I used a fake name.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
STRAVA is great. but I only try doing KOM when the trails are empty from other riders.
you need to be a real A@$#S to hurt someone for a KOM ...

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I'd like to thank Strava for introducing me to trails that I never would have found previously. But if I'm finding them, who else is...

Seems like a great way to get a bunch of trails shut down.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
bizutch. I have the same problem here :)
we have here a guy that kom'd nearly every trail...
and every time I kom something, he go next day and brake my record.....

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Time to break out the electric motocycle (or at least a heavily muffled gas moto) and dominate those bitches.

EDIT - I actually think Chris and/or Gerritt could still smoke me...(sigh)

Last edited: