Quantcast

Kona Customer Service

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
Does it suck or is it just me? Trying to get setup intructions for the DOPE system and talking to them is painful and they just keep saying go to your local Kona dealer. I don't have a local Kona dealer.

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
so after emailing back and forth ALL afternoon just asking for setup instructions for my DOPE system, this is what I get. I see his point I guess but all I want is setup procedure for crying out loud. Kona's reply:

That’s something I can do, but I do not want to. Since you bought a used bicycle, and I don’t know what kind of mechanic you are, I want you to go to a shop. No offense meant at all, but I’ve gotten some requests from people that really should not be wrenching on their own stuff, and I have no idea of knowing that by e-mail. It’s not easy, but that’s the nature of the beast. If the D.O.P.E. system is hitting the dropouts as you said, I’m afraid that something might be broken, and I want it inspected by a Kona dealer so that they can take a look at it.

I feel that we do more than most companies with customer service, especially with people that bought their bicycle second hand. I want to get this bike fixed for you, but I want it inspected by a Kona dealer to make sure everything is okay.

Thanks,

Joe.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
If you have not been to their web sight give it a shot. There are lots of riders posting technical info on the owners forum. Someone there has probably posted what you need or would be willing to help.

Also, the Kona tech-support guys post, but they will probably feed you the same line as whoever you talked to before.

If that doesn't work you can always try the forums here.

I agree with your assessment. In my experience Kona is pretty hesitant to provide technical support.

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks for the reply. I will give that another shot. I just feel that they should provide tech support for their product. I have owned and dealt with alot of other bike companies and never was it a fight to get tech docs.

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks Guy's!
In the end, we emailed back and forth, got a little heated and they still would not give me any info other than "Take it to a Kona Dealer" Worst CS I have ever encountered

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Thanks Guy's!
In the end, we emailed back and forth, got a little heated and they still would not give me any info other than "Take it to a Kona Dealer" Worst CS I have ever encountered
"Hitting the dropouts?"

You know, I think the CS is fine.

You could be a total noob or a pre-teen. There are a lot of them riding Kona freeride bikes.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Just because there are noobs riding your bikes isn't an excuse for expecting riders to take there bikes in to a dealer every time something goes wrong.

SRAM has tech documents for all it's products easily available online. Plenty of noobs have SRAM components.

In my opinion companies should have tech docs available to the public without exception. It's not like you can buy the Haynes manual for this stuff.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Just because there are noobs riding your bikes isn't an excuse for expecting riders to take there bikes in to a dealer every time something goes wrong.

SRAM has tech documents for all it's products easily available online. Plenty of noobs have SRAM components.

In my opinion companies should have tech docs available to the public without exception. It's not like you can buy the Haynes manual for this stuff.
Hey, what's the fix when the floating brake is hitting the dropouts?

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
"Hitting the dropouts?"

You know, I think the CS is fine.

You could be a total noob or a pre-teen. There are a lot of them riding Kona freeride bikes.
Yeah I understand that I guess but I'm not a noob. The part in question is NOT broken. It rattle against the drop out. Hard to explain. Kona's answer is "if you have a problem take it to a dealer" I mean who does that? What about the guy who orders a frame and builds his own bike? Kona will not supply any docs to that person? WTF is that? I can see their point to an extent. At the end of all the crappy emails back and forth, Joe pver at Kona still would not give up any Technical setup Docs. Mind you I let him know how I felt about it so that is probably why.

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009

I had CS experiences with Santa Cruz, Cannondale, Fox and even Swagman (my bike rack) and all of it was pleasant and they went out of their way to make sure I was happy. I'm not unreasonable. A friggin set up Document on one of Kona's products? DENIED!

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
Hey, what's the fix when the floating brake is hitting the dropouts?
We don't know. Kona told me to bring it to a dealer:confused: It looks to be set up correctly but man it rattles against the drop out and makes a racket.

This was Joe from Kona's parting email:

"Hi Scott,

I’m sorry you weren’t satisfied with what we did.

Have a nice day,

Joe."

They did not do anything! I'm not sure if I can post my emails but they are kinda funny. In the end I told them to stick their DOPE in their ass

Last edited:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
They did not do anything! I'm not sure if I can post my emails but they are kinda funny. In the end I told them to stick their DOPE in their a$$
Nice :D

Like I said go to the website (the link is a few posts back). Lots of knowledgeable riders are on the forum. Search for similar problems then if you can't find it post. I'm sure someone can help.

If all you wanted were tech docs, didn't ask for a recommendation or fix, I don't understand what the big problem was.

AlCapone

Monkey
Apr 5, 2009
North Bend, WA
I believe they are trying to help you. If you set it up wrong and something breaks, they don't want you them bashing you when they don't warranty it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I'm sorry, you are probably right.

While I wouldn't expect too much help from Kona on an used product, they can at least email you the PDF.

I think this CS guy thinks he works for Mercedes. I think some simple diagrams would be of some help without putting Kona in Tort jeopardy.

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
Just an FYI, I was told they would send me an owners manual and some tech docs on the DOPE. It's now September 17th and nothing. They really do suck

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
Sweet deal! good for you. Post up a pic of your bike so I can see your setup better. What fork are you running?

slopoke

Chimp
Jun 17, 2009
Tx
I have to give Kona customer support some props :)
A guy named Ed was very fair to me when I asked if he could get me
the updated rocker plates for my 2006 Stinky...
Kona gave original owners the updated plates for free,but since I bought my bike used,he sold me the updated plates for $160 and told me I will receive a $80 credit what I return my old plates...I can't complain at all..
I just installed them today ....
Im not sure Id give them props for that.... They should have given them to you for free since it was a flawed design. I wouldnt think it would matter if its purchased used or not, its still there product. Just my opinion though.... nice bike :thumb: