Quantcast

Kona ?'s: Bass vs. Stinky vs Coilair

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Ok dokay so I have been thinking about getting a more trail like bike, since all I have now is a singlespeed Echo trials bike.

I would really like to get into some aggressive trail and light freeriding BUT also I would like to get into some serious dirtjumping.

So far the Bass seems like the best choice but how is it peddling back up? It seems that it can handle freeriding and dirt jumping very well and also be a decent trail machine?

My other choices would be a Stinky since when I had originally pondered freeriding a lot of people pointed me towards one of these and from all the research ive done it doesnt seem like a Stinky can do me wrong...or the more trail oriented choise of a Coilair...

the Coilair was actually my original pick but has now become a distant 3rd despite the lowerprice...to me it just makes more sense to go for a Stinky if I was going to get a coilair...

Opinions and reviews would be very appreciated.

jsk14

Chimp
Jan 13, 2009
GVRD
get the bass. That amount of travel is really the perfect travel for freeriding.
Slopestyle bikes are really tunable, which makes them really great. With a u-turn, you could probably get 68-67 degree which is ideal for general riding.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
with an air shock you could also pump it up for DJ and let it out for trail. it's going to be a bit of a compromise to do all those things, but the bass is probably your best bet.

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I figured the Bass would be it.

Slope style is essentially just freeride with dirtjumps and some BMX style thrown in correct?

Im sorry I havent been in the mountain bike scene in a while...

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Also, I spent a year or more upgrading every component on my Stinky to get it perfect, but it was too heavy, so I moved on. I think a trials rider should prolly not jump into a 40+ lb bike without riding a quick little full sus first.

Last edited:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
The new Kona's are pricey for what you get.
I fail to see what's wrong with that bike, EXCEPT for the price...

The Bottlerocket is nice...but personally, I'm not a fan. More info, I'm not a fan of single-pivot bikes. Kona's and Transitions are both SP bikes.

You want a true do-it-all bike? Check out the Specialized SX Trail or Giant Reign X. I just did a ride with some ninja's on Reign X's...they cleared the gnarliest stuff PLUS pedalled some 20+ mile EPIC rides in Moab.

If you have a hookup...the Kona Bass would be a great bike tho. For the price, no, but if you can get one cheaper, it would handle a lot of stuff. Not great at anything, but capable of just about anything.

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I wouldnt call myself a trials rider, I have no skill on my Echo. As for weight the Bass is 30-35 lbs from what Ive seen, my trials bike is about 20-25 (somewhere in that range) The weight difference isnt a huge issue for me since I know trials are made to be light and a slopestyle bike has to be stronger hence for heavier...but StinkyBoy you're right about jumping right onto a much heavier bike...so I think I will scratch the coilair completely off the list.

The ReignX and SX Trail both look like sick bikes but they also cost about $500+ more than what I got quoted for a Bass...I understand you get what you pay for tho. Im wondering how well are they suited for jumping compared to the Bass?

I dont know my buddys friends with the local Kona dealer, hes looking to get a bike too (hes leaning more towards a Stinky I think...a huge step up from his Dick's DiamondBack) So when he gets back from vacation we're going to see if we can get a deal if we buy together.

Last edited:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
The new Kona's are pricey for what you get.
I fail to see what's wrong with that bike, EXCEPT for the price...
Post your Karp for a little perspective... :biggrin:

Deth, see if they have any 08's left in stock (at Kona), as the savings are substantial!

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I know they dont have any Bass or Stinky's in store, they are an order by demand bike since the demand for them around where I live isnt really that high.

The only bike they have in is the coilair given it is on sale right now, I dont think its the bike for me.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I know they dont have any Bass or Stinky's in store, they are an order by demand bike since the demand for them around where I live isnt really that high.

The only bike they have in is the coilair given it is on sale right now, I dont think its the bike for me.
Have them call Kona to see what they have from last year. You can save a crapload of $. That's how I bought my Stinky. Also, there's gotta be other Kona shops around (there's at least 4 in Phoenix), and make sure you ride these bikes before ya plunk down your cash...

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I only ask because Ive seen one for sale locally...03' Specialized Big Hit DH? Stock as far as I know right now...guys asking $650ish figured offer 500?

I guess I know my picks if I was just looking for a pure FR bike...but Im also looking to do a decent amount of jumps and tricks (I really want to get into blackflips)

Last edited:

AlCapone

Monkey
Apr 5, 2009
North Bend, WA
Get the bass. It is super versatile. You'll be happy with it. It jumps like a hardtail and has enough suspension to soak up rough landings and big gaps. I was going to get one but I got my stinky because I wanted to more DH/FR rather than DJ/FR.

S4Sean

Chimp
Apr 30, 2008
Ive got a bass for sale.
Extra singlespeeded rear wheel setup .
The bike is super fun but i cant pull myself off of the BMX bike.
Upgraded brakes and levers on the bass as well.

pm me