Quantcast

Kryptonite locks, are they secure now days

nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007
i have a New York u lock from like 5+ years ago, to scared to use it because of the pen trick. how are their current u locks

Cutters

Chimp
Mar 5, 2008
Everett, WA
Yes, they changed their lock design. They no longer use a circular key. They actually replaced my old style lock with a new one free of charge.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ill have to see if i still have my receipt
i didn't need to give them a receipt and they replaced my Evolution 2000 (Bic key) with a new Evolution (flat key) gratis.

that said, the lock still can be cut off by any sufficiently motivated thief with an angle grinder, but that's not really a kryptonite problem.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Yeah, just trade it in. The only other alternative is to try opening up your lock with a bic, but if it f-it up, you might ruin the locking mechanism.

Fixed4life

Chimp
Nov 8, 2009
Northeast
No worries. All NY Ulock for last 12 year have used a disc key and was never effected by the pen situation. See photos. If yours looks like these your good to go.

All other KRY locks have changed to disc style cylinders since late 2004 on.

i have a New York u lock from like 5+ years ago, to scared to use it because of the pen trick. how are their current u locks

Attachments

nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007
i dont know how old my NY u lock is, 10 years or so and it does use a round key and i just opened it with a Bic pen. cant believe it worked! guess its better to know before its too late

thanks everyone

nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007
No worries. All NY Ulock for last 12 year have used a disc key and was never effected by the pen situation. See photos. If yours looks like these your good to go.

All other KRY locks have changed to disc style cylinders since late 2004 on.
how good are those keys, they dont look all that great

just curious

thanks

Fixed4life

Chimp
Nov 8, 2009
Northeast
Keys are good, I like um. different function as the type was mostly used in EU for a long time, just never caught on here, plus now in US good bicycle or motorcycle locks have these, but really no other type of lock like padlocks use these in the US. Thing about these cylinders is they do not require alot of pressure to rotate. They basically float and when you insert the key, the cut on the key moves these into a set position so makes the lock open when moved to the right location inside. Real easy, just got to make sure you insert the key all the way down first.

Good thing too is KRY has lifetime key replacement so when you need a new one, you call um up

how good are those keys, they dont look all that great

just curious

thanks