Quantcast

Kualoa Ranch and the Ka'a'awa Valley

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
BigT and I went on a Bike Hawai'i bike tour today. It started at the Kualoa Ranch in Kaneohe, and went to the Ka'a'awa Valley where Hollywood has shot a number of movies and TV shows. The ride was mostly jeep roads (fire roads). the group started with 8 plus the guide. At the meeting before the ride, the guide descried how to ride over cattle grates, which are pipes over a ditch that the cattle won't cross, but can be ridden or driven over. All yopu have to do is not turn your front wheel. There was a family of 4, Dad, Mom and 2 kids. Well the daughter (younger) was upset at the start because she didn't like the color of her helmet. And as we cross the first cattle grate not 50 yards into the ride, but the little girl manages to get her front wheel caught in the cattle grate and goes down crying. Mom and Dad get her to stop crying and we continue on. The first "gathering point" is a set of bunkers built during WWII and used in the movie "Pearl Harbor".

Saw this on the way there.

We get to the bunker and wait and wait for the little girl and her mom. They finally arrive and the little girl complains that there is no shade and is crying. Mom and Dad decide it will be best for Mom and the little girl to bail on the ride, so the guide takes them back to the start and we have to wait. We got to tour the bunker where they had pictures and posters from all the movies and TV shows that shot on the property.

The guide returns and we continue on. Next is a jeep road descent to a covered picnic area and horse watering area. We meet up with the guide who drove the van there. He gets on a bike and we continue on. We pass movie sets, and there are signs that show what movie shot where.

BigT JRA by the set of You, Me and Dupree.

Most of the riding was fully exposed, no shade. Nothing really eventful, of exciting. We were passed by a group of ATV tour riders a couple of times. At the halfway point, we stopped for a snack and BigT and I decided that we wanted to ride the singletrack that they have. It is part of the 24 Hours of Hell in Paradise course. On the way to the single track, we went over a series of short ups and downs, and the young kid, went OTB. I didn't see because I was at the front of the line (strange place for me to be). Well the kid got banged up pretty good, and the guide had to get the van to drive him out. BigT and I took the singletrack out and the rest of the group took the jeep road.

BigT JRA

Replace the volcanic rock with granite, and it is almost like home.

More BigT JRA

We regroup where we left the van, and decided that we would ride back instead of being lazy in the van.

All in all, not a bad day, because I was outside on a bike.