Quantcast

LA auto show

elderz

Chimp
Jul 31, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
went to the LA auto show yesterday. it was sweet! ive definately never seen so many nice cars at once. for those of you who are interested i should have some pics up soon.

highlight of the show: new suberu wrx: 1000hp 0-60 in 1.89 sec.

i want one of those.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
uh. 1000 hp? who told you that? unless it's a pikes peak racer that figure is ridiculous

elderz

Chimp
Jul 31, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
nope thats what they said at the show, i flipped out but they had a mechanic there to answer questions and the big one was are you lieing to us? so who knows

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
elderz said:
nope thats what they said at the show, i flipped out but they had a mechanic there to answer questions and the big one was are you lieing to us? so who knows
was this for the wrc car? or the street wrx? or what? even wrc racers don't put out more than 400-500 due to restrictions iirc.

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
definitly cant be WRC, if i recal correctly, on paper all of the wrc cars are around the 300bhp mark.
its got to be specificly built by a tuning company just to showcase what they are capable of.
did they run the engine at all, i'd love to hear what an impreza with 1000bhp sounds like, hell even the sound of a standard wrx gives be goosebumps.

i reckon the monkey needs a car forum, like downin the misc cat along side the political and computer tech forums

**edit**
and this thread is worthless without pics :mumble: :thumb:

elderz

Chimp
Jul 31, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
pics are coming.

my camera was broken, but my friend brought his, so i should have pics from him soon.

its not a standard street wrx, they only made 40, but they did say that its street legal. i kinda came in at the end ofthe presentation so i missed some of it.

sorry

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Toshi said:
uh. 1000 hp? who told you that? unless it's a pikes peak racer that figure is ridiculous
Yeah isn;t a stock WRX like .....350hp???

Edit: actaully 1000hp sounds liek complete BS

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
theres no way they got 1000HP out of a 4 cylinder engine, unless it is super charged and fed by alchohaul and has a compression of 15.1.1 and revs at 9 RPM at idle. or somthing crazy allong those lines...

wait, maybe they said the TURBO was rated for a 1000hp. ;)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
mack said:
theres no way they got 1000HP out of a 4 cylinder engine, unless it is super charged and fed by alchohaul and has a compression of 15.1.1 and revs at 9 RPM at idle. or somthing crazy allong those lines...

Actually its entirely possible, last year they were above 800HP for SEMA.

From Motortrend 2003 SEMA Coverage:

UGLY paintjob

Easy Street Motorsports (ESX) starts with the already enthusiastic Subaru WRX and gives it a three-step makeover; base-level ESX tuning nets 344-hp and a 4.5-second 0-60-mph time, while the mid-level ESX500 package gets 500 hp and 3.8-second 0-60 times. The full-on ESX 740 setup becomes a monster street car capable of 0-60 mph times under two seconds and quarter mile times faster than 140 mph. Don't let the "740" badging fool you, ESX owner and race driver Ali Afshar claims the actual horsepower is above 800, thanks to a Toni Rigoli Performance-built EJ20 stroker engine boosted by Innovative GT72 turbocharger, top-mount intercooler, dual-stage NOS Nitrous Oxide system, MicroTech LTX-8 engine management chip, and an array of products from Subaru Performance Tuning. An automatic tranny transfers power through the Subaru AWD to BFGoodrich Comp T/A 255/06R16 drag radials.
Hrm, they are at the LA Auto Show too - http://www.esxmotorsports.com/html/schedule.htm

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
mack said:

It's possible. VERY possible.......

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
chicodude01 said:
It's possible. VERY possible.......
yeah, honda f1 engines used to push 1000+ out of 1.5 liters. however a f1 engine and a wrx engine are two distantly related beasts...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
elderz said:
went to the LA auto show yesterday. it was sweet! ive definately never seen so many nice cars at once. for those of you who are interested i should have some pics up soon.

highlight of the show: new suberu wrx: 1000hp 0-60 in 1.89 sec.

i want one of those.
What are you guys e-speculating about, the 2003 ESX 740 was already 800+HP and had similiar 0-60 performance (see above) - so they improved the design even more and/or they were rounding off (or its something like 1000HP and 800+ to the wheels).

My friend worked on a Toyota Supra that did something like 1000HP TO THE WHEELS. It broke 3 trannies before they got it working right with all that power.

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
And what country do we have to thank for this REX wonder??

Australia, chalk a few up for down under. :thumb:

Tony Rigoli drag races a WRX here and hold the world record ET for WRX's can't think what it is off the top of my head but.

How about this for a standard car, Falcon XR6 turbo. :drool:

www.ford.com.au

If you want even madder try this puppy out. Falcon F6 Typhoon. :drool: :evil:

www.fpv.com.au

Comes off the showroom floor like this damn.

Now check out Nizpro in Melbourne they can build you the motor in your XR6 or Typhoon out to 1000+hp noworries and are reportedly working on a 1300+hp motor.

Why buy a V8. And all of this engineering comes from where again? :D

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
With a nome like Rigoli, I hardly think they're Japanese. ;)

My personal fave at the monent is the bolt on turbo kit for my 2.5 Legacy, if only I din't buy my last bike. :mumble:

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
JoeRay said:
How about this for a standard car, Falcon XR6 turbo. :drool:

www.ford.com.au

If you want even madder try this puppy out. Falcon F6 Typhoon. :drool: :evil:

www.fpv.com.au

Comes off the showroom floor like this damn.

WTF!!!! We are getting shafted in the states. Those cars look awsome. I would use every single employee purchase option I had to get me one every year!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
WTF!!!! We are getting shafted in the states. Those cars look awsome. I would use every single employee purchase option I had to get me one every year!
Too bad they are all defective... the steering wheel is on the wrong side!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Cars are cool and all but I've come to realise that I really don't care about them or I should say I don't care about the flashy expensive ones......

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
stosh said:
Cars are cool and all but I've come to realise that I really don't care about them or I should say I don't care about the flashy expensive ones......

Are you no longer the president of the Xterra club?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Are you no longer the president of the Xterra club?
I like to tinker with my xterra or cars in general however all the new flashy stuff I could careless about.