Quantcast

ladies...need jewelry help re: necklaces/ box chains

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
7,165
1
austin
a couple years ago, i got my g/f, Mandi, a white gold necklace with a heart/diamond charm yadda yadda. the chain broke. it was quite dainty...perhaps too much so. i want to get her a stronger chain to replace the broken one, so i've been thinking about a box chain.

she's a small girl...like 5'5, 100lbs max. would a box chain look kind of goofy with a pendant on her? would the chain be too bold?

and is common jewelry like this all the same, like innertubes (many brands, few actual manufacturers) with the only real difference being the name on the box?
 

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
1,507
0
south lake tahoe, ca
the Inbred said:
a couple years ago, i got my g/f, Mandi, a white gold necklace with a heart/diamond charm yadda yadda. the chain broke. it was quite dainty...perhaps too much so. i want to get her a stronger chain to replace the broken one, so i've been thinking about a box chain.

she's a small girl...like 5'5, 100lbs max. would a box chain look kind of goofy with a pendant on her? would the chain be too bold?

and is common jewelry like this all the same, like innertubes (many brands, few actual manufacturers) with the only real difference being the name on the box?
if your girly is hard on jewelry, then you might think of platinum.
platinum is pricy, but stronger and nicer.
 

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
6,143
0
Floating down the Hudson
I would head to your local jeweler and explain the situation. That way you can pick something up and actually see it (jewelry is hard to buy online because it varies a lot). That way you can also take it back if it turns out that it's not a good fit for her.
 

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
7,165
1
austin
amydalayna said:
if your girly is hard on jewelry, then you might think of platinum.
platinum is pricy, but stronger and nicer.
she's not really hard on it...i don't think. doesn't have kids or animals yanking on it, or anything like that. just daily usage.

Pt's a little out of my range. i hope to have money left over to get her a coat i think she'd enjoy.
 

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
1,507
0
south lake tahoe, ca
the Inbred said:
she's not really hard on it...i don't think. doesn't have kids or animals yanking on it, or anything like that. just daily usage.

Pt's a little out of my range. i hope to have money left over to get her a coat i think she'd enjoy.
I'm not a big jewelry wearer, but pretty hard on the stuff that i have. hence the platimum... which is already pretty beat.

i say just go all out with a new jacket then. winter coats are more fun then jewelry.
 

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
4,837
0
South Seattle
My girl has a penant on a solid silver hoop. It looks nice, it wasn't expensive (just basic sterling silver rod), and is very strong. It was custom made by a local. Might be worth looking into.
 

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
7,165
1
austin
oh, the hoop. that's a damn good idea. i love how those look...gonna have to check into one. i wonder how different white gold and silver look...
 

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
7,165
1
austin
i wonder how something like this would look:



black leather cord with silver clasps. Jeep used to have silk chords, which i'd rather get, so i might check on that. i think it would contrast well with the shirts she'll be wearing at her job, they're rather strong, and quite affordable.
 

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
1,021
2
North Carolina
As someone who is quite fussy with jewelry, I would suggest a narrow snake chain. They are appealing to me because they are very plain, a little more heavy-duty than a normal, delicate link, and they sparkle nicely. White gold or silver would both look nice and shouldn't be too expensive.

I am a petite girl, so I don't find a narrow snake chain overwhelming. Also, I am not easy on my jewelry. I don't wear it often so I usually forget it's on and do something stupid. I have broken/tangled several chains with actually links, so I guess I choose the low-maintainance approach.

Just an idea. Good luck with your search! :)