Quantcast

Lake Jumping

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
So a few of us headed up to one of the lakes tonight for a BBQ, some beers and a ramp.

Pretty cool evening. Sorry, the rest of the images are sh1t. It was getting a bit too dark by then.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I found out if you get a cheap BMX bike and weld caps on the frame/bars and weld shut all the open spots on the frame and put on some 2.5+ size tires it will float. with out foam on the frame, I still put foam insulation on the bars and top tube so I didnt rack your junk or knees.

I ended up putting zerk fittings on the hubs and bottom bracket and keep em packed. works awesome.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Lake jumping again the other night.

Took some pics for you this time:

Rachel was there too, but for obvious reasons, she didn't participate...

...and yes, thats Brendon & Clay in the first pics.

SupaTone

Monkey
Jun 5, 2008
French Alps
Its just one of those things we do each week if the weather is okay... the ramp is pretty mellow so everyone and anyone can have a go. It could be made bigger but why bother - this appeals to the masses! You do not have to do anything special with the bike just put an innertube in each wheel and it will float.

Everyone was getting in on the act Sunday - some dude even rocked up on his Trek Session, high seat and mobile phone in pocket... funny times!

Lake Jumping : Lake Montriond July 2009 on Vimeo

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Never tried lake jumping - my fear would be colliding with the bike in the water - e.g. it smacking me on the head, or me landing on top of it on my shins or something.

That said, if I was going to do it, with a ramp like that, I'd be tanking into it spinning out in top gear, no-one seems to be trying for distance! :D

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
man i woulda loved to do that while we were there. Montiond was beautiful

which side of the lake is that? its not by the hotel/restaurant is it?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
It's at the far end of the lake from Morzine.

That peak in the distance is Mt Cherie in Les Gets...

As for speed, you are pinning it as fast as possible. You have to cross the walking bridge, then veer left to line it up. People sliding out on the corner loads!

Funny sht for sure.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Never tried lake jumping - my fear would be colliding with the bike in the water - e.g. it smacking me on the head, or me landing on top of it on my shins or something.

That said, if I was going to do it, with a ramp like that, I'd be tanking into it spinning out in top gear, no-one seems to be trying for distance! :D
I've heard the trick is to:
1. Go into the water in control of the bike, or
2. Throw the bike free before entering the water.

This way the bike never hits you :)