Quantcast

Lake MX201 / MX302 MTB Shoes

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Aside from SIDI, and some low end stuff, this is what my LBS can get. I liked the interchangeable cleats and thought they would be handy for the slick clay I sometimes have to push the bikes up... maybe for cyclocross too.

This is all IRBs fault - I want something new. :monkey:

Anyone have any experience with these models or Lake products in general?

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Aside from SIDI, and some low end stuff, this is what my LBS can get. I liked the interchangeable cleats and thought they would be handy for the slick clay I sometimes have to push the bikes up... maybe for cyclocross too.

This is all IRBs fault - I want something new. :monkey:

Anyone have any experience with these models or Lake products in general?
I've got a pair of Lake shoes and they rock. They are mid cut height with the neoprene liner, laces and one velcro strap that goes across the front. Most comfortable, supportive shoe I've worn ever.

They are 2001 MX176 . I can't complain, they're tough and comfy. I've wore them on XC rides, shuttle runs, chairlifting. Nashbar has a few left in select smaller sizes, I think 42 and under.

edit - They only have them in 41 and under - link

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I can't say about Lakes but I bought a LOW end Nashbar show and where the cleat attaches totally fell apart. Nothing sucks more then a cleat hanging onto a show by one screw and still attached to your pedal.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
I've got a pair of Lake shoes and they rock. They are mid cut height with the neoprene liner, laces and one velcro strap that goes across the front. Most comfortable, supportive shoe I've worn ever.

They are 2001 MX176 . I can't complain, they're tough and comfy. I've wore them on XC rides, shuttle runs, chairlifting. Nashbar has a few left in select smaller sizes, I think 42 and under.

edit - They only have them in 41 and under - link

Thoes are very very very nice shoes!!!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Cool. I like the high ankles... but I am trying to avoid laces this time. Too hard to clean the mud out of, I'm going to be a velcro baby from now on. The neoprene liner sounds handy for winter riding... :think:

For $40.00 I could live with laces!!! I need a 43.5 wide.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Yeah dude, I love em. More comfortable on MY feet than Answers (661), Garnae, Specialized, or SIDI shoes.
I sold a pair of SIDI Dominators on eBay for cheap - I paid nearly $200.00 for them and tried them for a month - I didn't realize that their wide sizes are like everyone elses regulars. It was my second pair of poory fitting SIDIs so I am done with them. Plus... $120.00 or so is going to be my limit.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Yeah dude, I love em. More comfortable on MY feet than Answers (661), Garnae, Specialized, or SIDI shoes.
I have a pair of Diadora Salsa's. They aren't bad... and they were on sale at one of the mail order places last year so I got them.

But they look real pointy when they are on.

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Serial Midget
I sold a pair of SIDI Dominators on eBay for cheap - I paid nearly $200.00 for them and tried them for a month - I didn't realize that their wide sizes are like everyone elses regulars. It was my second pair of poory fitting SIDIs so I am done with them. Plus... $120.00 or so is going to be my limit.
Right now, I would say the Answer/661 shoes are the best bang for the buck. I rode a pair of the old Yellow/Black/Red Accelerators for almost 6000 miles before they started comming apart. They last and perform very well.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I've always really liked the canondale shoes as well. I'm not sure how they are but atleast you can wear them to the bar after and not get looked at funny.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
How do you find the sizing of your Lakes? Narrow, wide? How much room in the toe box? The 201Ws do not come in a 43.5. I find nike and sidi sizes to be too narrow.

Now I am thinking about the 302s... :cool:

Right now, I would say the Answer/661 shoes are the best bang for the buck. I rode a pair of the old Yellow/Black/Red Accelerators for almost 6000 miles before they started comming apart. They last and perform very well.

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
I typically wear a 43 or 44, the 44's I have fit just a bit loose and long, so I'm assuming they are right on the money. I wear a 9 1/2 shoe.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
That must be why I like my Sidi's, I have narrow feets. :)

I have an older pair of Lake's, and I like them for commuting. they are more hiking boot\casual style. I always wanted to try a more XC pair but could not find them anywhere around here.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
My experinces with lake shoes have been overwhelmingly negative. The quality of the stitching and construcion on them are crap. I got a pair of mx 300's or some such thing every 4 weeks when I was sponsored by them... Once i even gave myself a black eye cinching the top strap when the strap snapped and my fist smacked my obicularis occuli.

Eventually i got a pair of the special editon white shoes that were jsut tread glued on the carbon road shoe, nut even those feel apart after about 10 races...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Hmmmm... :think: :think: :think: I just ordered 302s this evening. :eek:

Originally posted by Capt. Burntout
My experinces with lake shoes have been overwhelmingly negative. The quality of the stitching and construcion on them are crap. I got a pair of mx 300's or some such thing every 4 weeks when I was sponsored by them... Once i even gave myself a black eye cinching the top strap when the strap snapped and my fist smacked my obicularis occuli.

Eventually i got a pair of the special editon white shoes that were jsut tread glued on the carbon road shoe, nut even those feel apart after about 10 races...