Quantcast

Land Cruser mods.....?

I want to supercharge my 1996 toyota land Cruser and want to find out how mutch power it will add. (TRD)
I also want to find a turbine exaust for it. :D :D
Best cold air intake.
I'm going to lift this truck but want to do all engine work first.
And I want a computer for it.

Keep in mind that this is the (?5....) I6 not the V8 :thumb:

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
There's blokes round here who've done it. I think they used either capa or AVO kits
try searches for 'capa superchargers' or 'avo turboworld'. You'll probably find on a motor that old you'll need to rebuild the whole thing if youre going to put any kind of boost to it.

Low boost maybe ok short term but if you're hunting HP then just take the time to build the bottom end properly.

With the 4500 engines you're gonna end up with more of a torque beast than outright HP monster.

Thought about changing to the turbo diesel and putting more boost to it? The diesel block will take more boost in stock form than the petrol.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
okay...

The TRD SC takes full advantage and then some of your factory ECU's fueling capabilities. In other words if you add exhaust/intake etc on top of the SC you are asking for trouble. You might very likely experience a lean condition with only the SC and nothing else. Exhaust should be fine but an intake will most definitely cause you to lose HP because of bringing in too much air.

URD makes a kit for SC'd 3.4L Toyota's that compensates for the additional air and actually adds power by giving more fuel than the stock ECU alone can. Their kit is about $800 and I don't think they make one for your application but you can ask them if they can adapt it or something.

As far as suspension upgrades if you are looking to keep it simple, get an Old Man Emu kit (ARB USA). That will give you about 2.5-3" of lift and you can clear 33x12.5's easily any maybe a 34-35 metric equivalent (305-315)

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
caputo1989 said:
No just a supercharger.
A turbine exaust is shaped like a jet engine and forces exaust out.
turbos wont work with superchargers it is one or the other. :evil: :thumb:
I was wondering what you were trying to say.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
isn't the mass air sensor supposed to make sure that intakes wouldn't "cause you to lose HP because of bringing in too much air"?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Toshi said:
isn't the mass air sensor supposed to make sure that intakes wouldn't "cause you to lose HP because of bringing in too much air"?
The throttle body butterfly is what dictates how much air flow is getting into the engine, the AFM just monitors it. Check out the Dyno results on URD's web page where a 3.4L with a TRD SC with a stock airbox makes more HP than the same truck with a SC AND a K&N open element air filter. The AFM only senses how much air goes through it and then communicates with the fuel system dictating how much fuel to add. The problem is when more air comes in than the fuel pump or fuel maps can supply fuel for to make a proper mixture.