Quantcast

Lapierre DH 2011 with Vivid (coil)

dh-noob

Chimp
Sep 17, 2007
Germany
Hello,
my Fox DHX RC2 is working pretty bad. Small hits are just horrible and exhausting. I´ve to run maximum air-pressure, to not bottom-out (300lbs spring - i tried the 350 spring, but its too hard).
I´d like to try a Vivid (coil), because of the additional functions. The problem is, that i don`t know, if there is something special because of the pendbox kinematics. does anybody ride the lapierre dh of 2011 with a vivid shock? which tune do you ride?
thanks you

Daniel

p.s.: excuse my english :D

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
The Fox DHX RC2 is a a good shock wth alot of adjustments have you adjusted the bottom out control knob?

ADJUSTMENTS
- Externally adjustable velocity sensitive damping (DSC):
> High-speed compression
> Low-speed compression
- Bottom-out force adjust (via schraeder)
- Bottom-out progressiveness (via Bottom-out control knob)
- Coil spring preload- Rebound

FEATURES
- Boost Valve for position sensitive bottom-out control

http://www.foxracingshox.com/bike/11/shocks/DHX

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
That is strange as the rc4 and rc2(Since it is a rc4 lacking a few dials) are progressive shocks by nature. Vivid is more linear unless you get some special tune. Are you sure your shock is fully functioning? My frame is quite a bit linear and I dont have to use a lot of pressure or bottom out in my rc4.

dh-noob

Chimp
Sep 17, 2007
Germany
I can`t tell you, if the shock works allright. Since I own the bike, the performance of the shock didn´t chance. I´d have a guy, who could tune the shock for me, but he tuned a shock for a gt i-drive bike and it was completely different to a "normal" kinematics.

my experience of the fox dhx5 (of my previews bike) was, that the shock does not have a good compression damping. i thought it is the same with the rc2/4. for this reason i thought the vivid has a better damping. i race my bike and it should not run through the travel all the time.
tf tuning told me, that they don´t offer a tuning for my rc2.

i´d like to know, if somebody rides a vivid coil in his lapierre of 2011 to get some feedback.

btw:

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I can`t tell you, if the shock works allright. Since I own the bike, the performance of the shock didn´t chance. I´d have a guy, who could tune the shock for me, but he tuned a shock for a gt i-drive bike and it was completely different to a "normal" kinematics.

my experience of the fox dhx5 (of my previews bike) was, that the shock does not have a good compression damping. i thought it is the same with the rc2/4. for this reason i thought the vivid has a better damping. i race my bike and it should not run through the travel all the time.
tf tuning told me, that they don´t offer a tuning for my rc2.

i´d like to know, if somebody rides a vivid coil in his lapierre of 2011 to get some feedback.

btw:

You posted leverage ratios for the old presudo vpp lapierre. Very different bike.

Also dhx 5 and the rc4/2 are VERY different shocks. Where the dhx had very little damping and it was imho a bit crappy the rc4/2 is quite good. It may be a bit harder to set it up properly than a custom tuned elka but it performs suprisingly well. Since I also need a progressive shock the only thing Id change it for is an air ccdb (if it has no dive issues of course).

Though seriously - get some susp guy to take a look at your shock. Maybe it leaked oil or sth. It is quite strange for it to be easy to bottom out. I used to run a spring for someone ~10kg lighter than me with lowish pressure and medium bottom out and I only bottomed it once on a 1m drop to flat.

dh-noob

Chimp
Sep 17, 2007
Germany
The posted chart is with the 2011 lapierre AND the 2010. the fat curve should be the right leverage of my 2011 lapierre!

the problem is not the bottom out actually. with maximum air-pressure it works fine, but the bumps and hits are quite "undamped". the shock doesn´t stick to the ground. i´d like to have my shock sensitive at the beginning followed by a stiffer compression and progression. :)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The posted chart is with the 2011 lapierre AND the 2010. the fat curve should be the right leverage of my 2011 lapierre!

the problem is not the bottom out actually. with maximum air-pressure it works fine, but the bumps and hits are quite "undamped". the shock doesn´t stick to the ground. i´d like to have my shock sensitive at the beginning followed by a stiffer compression and progression. :)
Ok I see it now. Bit tired here. Strange since it looks progressive, even more than the big hit. Why do you use maximum air pressure? You bottomed out without it? If yes then Id really think something is wrong with your shock.

dh-noob

Chimp
Sep 17, 2007
Germany
Ok I see it now. Bit tired here. Strange since it looks progressive, even more than the big hit. Why do you use maximum air pressure? You bottomed out without it? If yes then Id really think something is wrong with your shock.
i use maximum air pressure to avoid bottom outs. sometimes the shock does bottom out anyway at bigger jumps with bad landings. i also tried another spring (350 instead of my current 300lbs) but this is at the beginning way to hard.

my question is, if there is anybody who rides his lapierre with a vivid. the other solution is to tune my shock. (i already contacted lapierre, if there is anything special with the pendbox, but they haven´t answered yet)

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
you still haven't answered whether you run the bottom out dial all the way in or out. this will make a big difference in how fast the shock ramps up. running high pressure AND maximum volume (Bottom out all the way out) will create the feeling you are describing (chattery at the top of the travel).

you can tune any shock to work well with just about any bike. are you capable of taking apart and reassembling a shock?

dh-noob

Chimp
Sep 17, 2007
Germany
the rc2 just allows to adjust the bottom out via air pressure. not like the rc4 with a seperat adjuster for the air volume.
i´ve never done a service or tuning of a shock yet. (just forks)