Quantcast

Lapierre Dh 230, What do ppl think?

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
I think im putting an order in for a Lapierre Dh 230 today :)

Anybody had a ride on one, its a completley new bike to me but at the price im getting it for with the spec i honestly cant miss out on this one!

Its working out at £2660 inc shipping etc for this bike with 888rc2x, sram xo, formula oro's and saints etc. Full bike weight around 40lbs. It has an adjustable head angle too, like the commencals, its bb can be set at nearly bang on 14inches or 15.3 depending.

Link to the bikes here: http://www.cycles-lapierre.fr/webfilesENG/PagesENG/FPS2_230_eng.htm

My only concern was that i wouldnt have space to fit a coil shock as i think i will want to, the bike shop thinks there is enough room however so that would be an issue to take up with them if it doesnt fit.

Would like to hear ppls opionions on this bike, i think it looks awesome, im so exited to be getting back on a dh bike having ridden only xc and road for the last year!.
Rick

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
I belive in a similar way to a giant glory or ih sunday (though it is different to the dw link) There is another link down by the bottom bracket.

It is a virtual pivot design i believe.

I hope it rides as good as i think it looks, my orders going in in a few mins.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Build and bike looks great but who knows anything about the quality of the suspension design which is the most important part of the whole bike?

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
very true, but the geometry looks good (cant remember the link to geometry) and the suspension system is a v process design (nico vouilloz's old bikes) Nico apparently had some input on this bike and wasnt olivier bossard the man bedind the v process bikes? (patented to lapierre now) Lets face it, these guys know their stuff!

I cant imagine it to be a peice of cack, but then ill find out i suppose and let you guys know when i recieve it on tuesday :)

Im sure ill break even anyway if i sell the frame on as the parts nearly tally to that amount here!

dh_newbie

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
Hong Kong
Rick205 said:
I belive in a similar way to a giant glory or ih sunday (though it is different to the dw link) There is another link down by the bottom bracket.

It is a virtual pivot design i believe.

I hope it rides as good as i think it looks, my orders going in in a few mins.
Thx.. I saw it from the dropmachine. It is quite similar to the IH & Glory. Anyway, I hope I can see it at the local dealer.

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
Rick205 said:
Ill drop you a pm as soon as i have ordered mine as one guy on the phone mentioned it may be the last one.(i dont think it is though just salesman talk)

Its not from far away though mate, just accross our shores so no tax/vat to pay :)

Here is another pic of the bike, you can see the linkages etc here.

http://www.dropmachine.com/media/data/500/medium/DSCF00273.JPG
why the hell are there 5$ walmart pedals on that bike

otherwise, looks good! :) much better then the 'glory hole'

edit: that's also an interesting headtube, whats going on there? adjustable HA?

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
Thats a pretty clean looking bike...trying to visualize that linkage working and it seems that it should have a nice, slightly rearward axlepath?

Bobodaclown

Monkey
Apr 16, 2005
London, England
I think it looks really nice, it should work really well. Overall a really nice package let us know how it rides when you gets yours.

And it is a much nicer looking bike than the Glory with a similar shock location.

It's a shame Lapierre aren't avaliable in the UK.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
The French magazine BIG BIKE gave it a very good review early this year in an issue where they tested a dozen or more of the top DH bikes on the market. They rated it in the top four of the test along with the Orange and the Yeti 303. They actually preferred it to a V10.

Some of the rider comments were light weight feel, nimble yet very stable at speed.

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
damn that bike is nice...i´ve been looking at it in pictures for months, it looks sweet and yeah pretty similar to the glory...have fun on it man

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Thanks for the comments, my orders gone in now.

You can get one in the uk, from the site quoted earlier in this thread with the geometry on it.

The shops based in ireland but there is no duty or vat to pay on it, and just check out the price too.

Ill put some pics up when i get it, should be with me on tuesday.

Rick

banj

Monkey
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
ilfreerider said:
bb hight = 36cm/2.54cm = 14.173 inch
They give bb drop (actually rise though) and it's 36mm

36mm * 1/25.4 "/mm = 1.4173"

Take a 26" wheel with a 2.5" tire which is about 13.5" from the ground to the axle so you have a bb that's around 14.9" tall.

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
You may be right with that one, though it does say on the web that it is bb height, not bb drop.And that would make it a 16.4bb height on the steep head angle setting, something i cant imagine to be honest though we shall see!

Can you explain that maths to me too please, im not sure how your quite working that out?

Ill measure it on tueday and get back to you.

Rick

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
I have ridden an orange 222 for 2-3 years and since then an intense m1 up unitl last year, i havnt ridded dh in a year since going to france last summer though :mad: I do know what a good bike rides like so i hope this is up to scratch.

When i raced i was around top 15-20 ish jnr class, im youraverage joe rider not racing at pro level or anything like that!

As i say, ill keep ppl posted as to how i get on with it.

Rick

banj

Monkey
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
Rick205 said:
You may be right with that one, though it does say on the web that it is bb height, not bb drop.And that would make it a 16.4bb height on the steep head angle setting, something i cant imagine to be honest though we shall see!

Can you explain that maths to me too please, im not sure how your quite working that out?

Ill measure it on tueday and get back to you.

Rick
Hey Rick it says BB height from axle to axle line. So I'd assume that means bb axle to wheel axle line. All other dimensions are in mm so I doubt the bb is 36mm from the ground.

The math is quite simple. It's 36mm (or 39.5mm in the high bb position)

There's 25.4 mm in every inch so 36mm = 36/25.4 = 1.4173 "

or 39.5 mm = 39.5/25.4 = 1.555 "

Assuming with a 2.5" tire the distance from the axle line to the ground is approximately 13.5" your bb height is:

low position: 13.5 +1.4 = 14.9"

high position: 13.5 + 1.6 = 15.1"

So there isn't much difference between the two positions.

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Makes sense i agree, hmm, that does sound quite high, i dont suppose tall forks like the 888's help.

Anyway, i take a lot of things with a pinch of salt in respect to manufacturers specs. We shall see if its any lower in reality.

Thanks for explaining how you got to that figure.

Rick

croute

Chimp
Jul 7, 2006
hello i work for big bike during the test session
i think the lapierre was my favorit dh bike of the test you have the agility of a enduro bike,
the rear suspention work very well even with air schock, the geometrie is very good (thank's nico)
the only probleme its really not a freeriding bike (no big flat drop...)
and very light 18kg ( i think if change sone part it could easely be near 17kg)

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Thanks for the information :)

Thats ok, im not into my freeride stuff anyway, and i have more than one bike so this bike really is my dh/race bike only so thats all good.

Looking forward to having a go myself. :)

Rick

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
croute said:
hello i work for big bike during the test session
i think the lapierre was my favorit dh bike of the test you have the agility of a enduro bike,
the rear suspention work very well even with air schock, the geometrie is very good (thank's nico)
the only probleme its really not a freeriding bike (no big flat drop...)
and very light 18kg ( i think if change sone part it could easely be near 17kg)

Yeah that test was great, all the bikes had the same front shocks and tires and most had the same brakes as well to even things out.

The only thing that sucked was two of the best bikes out there were not in the test, Intense M3 and the Iron Horse Sunday. Looks like we need a new test............. keep up the good work

croute

Chimp
Jul 7, 2006
if distruibutor are ok and bike are in stock they will test this year
exept iron horse which aren't sold in france

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Had 3-4 rides on my lapierre now and im very impressed :)

Parted the saddle out straight away and the chain device (ring was too big) and gave it a ride, i have struggled to get used to the dhx air so on went my romic to see what she would ride like, it has a .5inch shorter eye to eye so the bb is now lower and it sits a little more slack so for now just a little experiment to see if it works.

I felt comfortable on the bike from the first run (unusual for me) and its very confidence inspiring riding very light (unlike my m1 which i had trouble getting off the floor!) being very nice to jump and skip over roots so maybe not a plough bike for the hard hitters out there. Corners like its on rails too and pedals pretty damn good too. I find even after being off a dh bike for nigh on a year im hitting stuff harder and faster than before. (new bikes bring confidence i suppose)

Im a happy happy guy :rofl: :)

Anyway, heres some pics with the romic on:

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/946478/
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/946477/
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/946479/

Rick

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Hey man, lock tite all the pivot bolts. A friend of mine has the same bike, and all his pivot bolts constantly came loose. Some thread locker would go a long way.

The bike is designed to run quite a bit of sag, so don't be afraid of the high BB it's specced with. My buddy's felt way too linear in the travel with the DHX air, but I don't know how he had it set up. He also lowered his fork to 7" in front.

Have fun!

Oct 17, 2006
London
Got one of these and would like some tips on the shock set up (DHX Air)

Trying 30% sag - is that about right?

It's blowing through all the travel fairly easily, so how much bottom out should I dial in? Is this trial and error?

I'm running about 180 psi in the boost chamber. This seems high but i'm still getting a fair amount of bob even with the pro pedal near max.

I want to get the air shock sorted before giving in and putting on a coil shock!!

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina

It's blowing through all the travel fairly easily, so how much bottom out should I dial in? Is this trial and error?

I'm running about 180 psi in the boost chamber. This seems high but i'm still getting a fair amount of bob even with the pro pedal near max.

I want to get the air shock sorted before giving in and putting on a coil shock!!
180 psi in the Boost Chamber should be fine. How much do you have in the main Chamber? Also how much do you weigh?

SPDR

Monkey
Apr 21, 2006
Engerland

Taken off the Irish Importer's site:-

Nicolas Vouilloz's set-up advice for the DHXair Shock:-

Compression adjust (via Shrader valve): 5.5-7.5 bars (80-110Psi)

Bottom out adjust (large blue dial) : Fully open

ProPedal adjust (smaller blue knob): 0 to 3 clicks

Rebound adjust (red knob): A rule of thumb is that rebound should be as fast as possible without kicking back and pushing the rider off the saddle

From the master himself

Hope that helps