Quantcast

Lapierre dh 230

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
hey people, any one have a lapierre, ride one or have tried one? is it even introduced in the us market? from the looks of it, I think everyone has realised it kinda uses the same system as the sunday and or glory, but aparently it works quite diferently... I also think the geometry is spot on... any one care to coment?

normal factory rig, comes with ajustable head angle which naturally in turn changes bb height and length of the bicycle, from 65 to 66.5, very nice

nico's rig, which somehow has to look nicer... doesn't have ajustable geo though

any comments?

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
Not many people have the Lapierres. They were never introduced to the US market because they infringed on Specialized's FSR copyright. Nico's bike doesn't have adjustable geo because it's entirely different from the production ones. It has 8" of travel, a sub 14" BB, and other goodies.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
the normal bike can't get as low as 14.20 which is pretty low by my standard... shame it isn't in the states, specialized should by an international fsr copyright, hell even devinci right across the border uses fsr

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Geez, that's gorgeous! Where can one be aquired??? kinda reminds me of the Cortina2s...
There's actually quite a few dealers in the US, but all I found at their stores is roadbikes...eeewww!

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
As of Sea Otter 07, I thought I had one hemmed in for my taking through Hutchinson since they have a tight relationship with the Frenchies. Unfortunately, according to SBS (US distributor for Lapierre in Seattle), they are not able to bring the DH frame due to an infringement with the VPP patent (not FSR).

It is available in Canada though..whoever the distributor is.

Almost...Yup, I'm still bitter...

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
I knew it was something like that. Once I saw the shot of the other side with the other link, I realized it was vpp. My bad.

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
Not many people have the Lapierres. They were never introduced to the US market because they infringed on Specialized's FSR copyright.

i think it uses a vpp type suspension ("fps2") and the problam is with santa cruz and intense and not big S.

the new hyd frame looks amazing imo and looks like it has a diff geo.
for example,the xtr crank you see is custom with 163.5 mm arms !!! so guess the bb is very very low:

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
one of my riding buddies has the current one. Its a nice bike but its kinda heavy even with the dhx air rear shock its tipping the scales at about 42.5lbs. Not sure on a frame only weight. He seems happy enough with it and can't wait till the new hydroformed one that nico is riding is available. I've ridden it a few times can't really say much good or bad about it as it feels completely different from my bike, a morewood izumi. Its much taller and feels shorter across the top tube aswell. As far as i know the Lapierre is only available in one size which could cause problems but im not totally sure on it. There available from www.cyclesuperstore.ie There Lapierres Irish and UK distributor. I've heard alot of horror stories regarding customer service and back up regarding lapierres bikes. I work in one of the superstores compettitors here in Dublin and as a result i deal with alot of disgrunteled customers who won't return back to them.

Oct 17, 2006
London
I've had mine a year now and am really pleased with it. The back tyre pretty much sticks the ground over anything and the bike is virtually silent.

It's a bit difficult to pick up the front end and manual compared to some other bikes i've been on. Not sure why, the chain stays aren't that long. I wouldn't get fussed about the bb height on paper. I've had to increase low speed damping on my forks and shock as the bike really squats down when you pin berms. I often drag my heel or pedals on the ground on the way through. It corners fast, like a Sunday.

The detailing is superb. Cable routing, rear disc guard, crud catcher mounts....there's nothing that isn't spot on. If only someone could invent un-chipable paint!

I've upgraded to a Cane Creek DB (which is in a league of it's own) but the DX5 air shock is much better than people say. Everything else has survived pretty much in tact and works really well.

the only reason you don't see more of them must be the lack of importers (there isn't one in the UK either). I got mine from Ireland (Cycle Supastore) and had no problems when i had to get a new rear end for my Lapierre 160 (backed my van over it :crazy: ).

Attachments

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
As of Sea Otter 07, I thought I had one hemmed in for my taking through Hutchinson since they have a tight relationship with the Frenchies. Unfortunately, according to SBS (US distributor for Lapierre in Seattle), they are not able to bring the DH frame due to an infringement with the VPP patent (not FSR).
That makes a lot of sense, seeing as the lower link rotates forward slightly, and then in the complete opposite direction of VPP... This appears to be a good example of an excessively broad patent/braindead patent engineers.

I can't believe how much better the top tube looks in the second set of pics. I don't see any reason why they couldn't drop it down another inch too.

juk_lano

Chimp
Jun 27, 2007
Unfortunately, according to SBS (US distributor for Lapierre in Seattle), they are not able to bring the DH frame due to an infringement with the VPP patent (not FSR).Unfortunately, according to SBS (US distributor for Lapierre in Seattle), they are not able to bring the DH frame due to an infringement with the VPP patent (not FSR).
Wow lame, where is a smuggling go fast boat when you need one?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
BB height on it seems similar to dh230 (a bit lower probably as it has only 200mm travel) but it seems reasonably shorter. There are still a few geo changes I'd like in my 230 and hope the'll make it for the new bike. Also an adjustable cs would be nice. Scott and Commencal have them(plus the adjustable HA that is on LP)

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Looks Socom-ish with a low center of gravity. I like it! :clapping:
Internal cable routing, tasty!
Looks like they are using the new Shimano BB system. Has the frame 135 mm dropouts then too?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Looks like they are using the new Shimano BB system. Has the frame 135 mm dropouts then too?
Dropouts on dh-230 are 150mm so I doubt they'll go back. Also the bb doesn't look so low if you compare it with pictures of 230 that has quite high bb.

freakrock

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Santiago de Chile
I remember reading that they designed the frame to use oversized bearings pressed directly into the frame to save a bit of weight, gain some stifness, and improving bearing life

cesar_rojo

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
To me the racing team bike is the sexyest bike out there...
Just had the chance to ride David Vazquez bike's for some runs and there's not much to say appart from amazing bike.

To me only a bit more slack head tube will be a modification to do...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
To me the racing team bike is the sexyest bike out there...
Just had the chance to ride David Vazquez bike's for some runs and there's not much to say appart from amazing bike.

To me only a bit more slack head tube will be a modification to do...
Is the rider position still as strange as on dh-230? It's hard to get used to.

cesar_rojo

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
Is the rider position still as strange as on dh-230? It's hard to get used to.
Bike is completely different, bb much lower than on production one, also David's bike is smaller, but on the track we rode was so much fun. And with coil shock is a complete new bike.

The one he is riding now is bit higher as he was running so low front and rear, the fork was dropped to 180mm.

Here's a snap where you can see his bike.