Quantcast

Lapierre DH 920

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone on these boards have experience on this frame or not, I mean it looks unreal IMO, but just wondering what it rides like.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
just read the review in dirt it said the rear end worked great and the sizing was a little funky. Having ridden the old one i'd tend to agree. Not sure if the geo has changed much from the old one. It very much has a feel of being on the bike rather than in it.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The susp is the same as in the previous model (mine. ;) ) and I can confirm that it rides amazing but the dh-230 geo was a bit funky and took long to get used to. The 09 looks much better on paper but not sure how it is in reality.

About odd sizing - SJ prefers longer bikes and that might have been the case. For him a nice bike has around 118cm wb which is crazy for most ppl.(ie. not that tall).

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
The susp is the same as in the previous model (mine. ;) ) and I can confirm that it rides amazing but the dh-230 geo was a bit funky and took long to get used to. The 09 looks much better on paper but not sure how it is in reality.

About odd sizing - SJ prefers longer bikes and that might have been the case. For him a nice bike has around 118cm wb which is crazy for most ppl.(ie. not that tall).

You should probably read the article. Lapierre states that the large was designed for average sized riders and the medium is designed for smaller riders. so they do, in fact, have an odd way of sizing their frames. instead of calling them a small and medium like every other company, Lapierre have chosen to call them medium and large. Read the article, it's all explained.

As for Jonsey, I think you'll find that a lot of aggressive riders and skilled racer types will aggree with him. Especially with more modern riding styles tending towards a preference for low bars and keeping weight over the front end. the result is some riders who want more bike 'in front' of them. and while this might make the wheel base longer it feels less cumbersome than it would if the extra length was added to the chainstays. it also lets you ride with your chin over the bars and not feel like you are going to die.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
You should probably read the article. Lapierre states that the large was designed for average sized riders and the medium is designed for smaller riders. so they do, in fact, have an odd way of sizing their frames. instead of calling them a small and medium like every other company, Lapierre have chosen to call them medium and large. Read the article, it's all explained.

As for Jonsey, I think you'll find that a lot of aggressive riders and skilled racer types will aggree with him. Especially with more modern riding styles tending towards a preference for low bars and keeping weight over the front end. the result is some riders who want more bike 'in front' of them. and while this might make the wheel base longer it feels less cumbersome than it would if the extra length was added to the chainstays. it also lets you ride with your chin over the bars and not feel like you are going to die.
I've read the review and I know that about the riding in front as I've had to learn to somehow cope with 118.6WB bike on our quite techy trails.
The problem with this idea I have is the fact that in many cases the bike still has a larger turn radious and many of us ride quite technical and tight trails where it may be annoying. The long WB felt veeery nice on my Maribor trip but at home where turns are tight it was a bit of a problem and I think I'm not the only one with techy trails around ;)

Eurotrash

Monkey
Mar 2, 2002
French Big Bike magazine has tested one for it's annual big comparison test, they really liked it, apparently came in second place infront of Yeti! Mag will be out in a couple days time, should be a good read.

Dec 25, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
We have one on Descent-World test at the moment. I have not ridden it myself as the smaller of the two available sizes which is a little BMX esque for my 6 foot plus frame. We did however take it out yesterday alongside a Session 88 we have on test, Jon_e (DW Boss) was on the Lapierre which fitted him perfectly (he is a bit of a shortarse!) and was loving it, to the point where he barely let anyone else ride it all day!
A full review will follow once both bikes have some more miles under their wheels, watch out on www.descent-world.co.uk in January for the full review.

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Just my thoughts on the older model (so may not have much in the way of relevance to this one)

- The bike was tall - high bb (not far of 15inches) and tall top-tube always reminded me it was a big bike - i had trouble getting really comfortable with it whereas i feel my medium socom, though a longer bike fits better.

- Suspension was very very linear - i think the new one has been revised as it now sports 8 inches of travel rather than 9 (am i correct?)

- Build quality was as good as anything i have seen as was finishing (paint, bb threads etc) - attention to detail was great and is meant to be even better on the new one (hidden cables etc)

Overall i was pleased with the bike, its good to see they have addressed the issues like top-tube height, bb height and just the overall proportions of the bike - im short and the old model was just too big for me.

Rick

Last edited:

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Yep it's stunning as long as you don't notice the integrated bump stops on the down tube.

It was either one of those or the 88 for me until I saw those ugly things !

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
The cable routing is amazing.
For sure. Other manufacturers tend to treat it as an after thought IMO. La Pierre has it nailed.

From that photo that Damo posted, the sizing does appear to be a little funky. Much like a Glory or the new Corsair: shorter and steeper (??) or is that just the camera angle?

Beautiful bike.