Quantcast

laptop heat

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
There are a few decent cooling pads with built-in fans for working with a laptop on a desk. Zalman makes one, Antec makes one - I know those two are both decent. They plug into the USB port for power.

Is that what you mean? There's not a lot that will actually be good for travel or working on your lap.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
There's not a lot that will actually be good for... working on your lap.
bummer!

My woman's laptop consistently gets hot when she rests it on her lap for a while. Granted, when I'm on her, I get hot too.

I told her that if she doesn't change the way she uses it, that she'll overheat it. Maybe she wants a new one?

So, no product is really all that for resting the PC on one's lap? Darn.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
well, harddrive crashed a few months back. I'm not sure if the heat is a real or imagined issue.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well, you can use the coolers while it's on your lap, but the basic fact is that when you're working with something on your lap, you're restricting airflow underneath it... so there's nothing to pull the hot air away. Even the laptop coolers need airflow from underneath, either to pull cool air in or push hot air out.

A low power notebook (and thus low-heat) would solve the problem, but I don't know if you want to buy a new notebook over this issue. My old notebook used to get pretty warm on my lap but it wasn't dangerously hot or enough to cause damage to the laptop.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I guess I'll let her do what she wants, then when it breaks, she can have mine and I'll get a new one :D

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
Macs never heat up.
Tell that to the people who got actual burns from Macbooks. Then when you call apple and complain they tell you that it "isnt a laptop, it is a portable and not designed to be used on your lap".

All portables get hot, Apple doesn't happen to have some magical cooling fairy living inside theirs.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
You guys take Stinky way too seriously.

Doesn't matter how little heat they might produce, they're not cost-effective for our needs.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
All portables get hot, Apple doesn't happen to have some magical cooling fairy living inside theirs.
Dude, I was on a plane recently and this is what happened to a PC laptop user up in Business Class:

I sat there with my old Mac 3400C and played Carmageddon for 5 hours even after spilling coffee on the keyboard.

Proof positive!

Mastamind

Chimp
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Holy Crap!! Is that pic real???

I use the Antec chill pad. It works! That's all I can say, I def. see a difference using it and I own a newer model Macbook.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
maybe you should cut back on the $120 bottles of champagne. :monkeydance:
dude, I got the hook up that's off the hook!

Sorry about bragging, but it's just so awesome to get all the alcohol for free :D

Tho it did make me very fat over the past year.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
dude, I got the hook up that's off the hook!

Sorry about bragging, but it's just so awesome to get all the alcohol for free :D

Tho it did make me very fat over the past year.
A $120 bottle of booze is not a $120 bottle of booze if you didn't pay a $120. That is like my sister saying she saved $100 when she bought something for $200 that normally costs $300.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
A $120 bottle of booze is not a $120 bottle of booze if you didn't pay a $120. That is like my sister saying she saved $100 when she bought something for $200 that normally costs $300.
umm, huh?

The price of a product is what the market generally pays for it.

If something typically sells for $100 across the market, then it's value is $100.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
umm, huh?

The price of a product is what the market generally pays for it.

If something typically sells for $100 across the market, then it's value is $100.

So if I get a budweiser I can say I am drinking a $5 beer because that is whay they charge at the ball park?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
It is the only place I would normally buy a Budweiser, so yes.
So the only places you buy products is, in your opinion, the only market that matters?

Man, that's some ego-centric GWB-ish thinking!

And more importantly, stop drinking that crap beer.

Nobody spends $120 on booze. They only drink that if they get it free. :D
Thank God people do and do it often! That's money in our pocket. Cha-ching!