Quantcast

Large Morewood Shova *near* Raleigh, NC?

snojcb

Chimp
Sep 27, 2007
Cary, NC
I'm thinking about getting a Shova LT frameset, but I'm 6'5" and fear I'm beyond the large end of the spectrum for this frame.

I'd mainly use it for shuttle runs (Snowshoe and Sugar), but would like to be able to ride it on the local trails, too.

Anyone have one of these within a few hours of Raleigh so I could sit on one to see how it fits?

Or someone just tell me I'm too big for the bike and put me out of my misery!

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
If your looking for a single pivot checkout www.swdracing.com
Steve builds great bikes, I'm 6 foot 6 and I ride a custom 216 dh and it works great, and steve can custom build one for you too, prices are a hell of alot more resonable than morewood and the frame come with a lifetime warrenty and lifetime free pivot bearings.

snojcb

Chimp
Sep 27, 2007
Cary, NC
willie b - I'm talking with Dogboy now - his frame isn't built up right now. Actually, his is the Shova I'm thinking of buying. He's 5'10" and I'm 6'5". I want to make sure the frame will fit me before I sell my car to pay for it. :)

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I'm thinking about getting a Shova LT frameset, but I'm 6'5" and fear I'm beyond the large end of the spectrum for this frame.

I'd mainly use it for shuttle runs (Snowshoe and Sugar), but would like to be able to ride it on the local trails, too.

Anyone have one of these within a few hours of Raleigh so I could sit on one to see how it fits?

Or someone just tell me I'm too big for the bike and put me out of my misery!
If you can wait a few weeks I come up there all the time. My wife and I plan to drive up soon. I will have my bike as I always bring it when I come up. I will be glad to let you try it out.

Cecil

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
willie b - I'm talking with Dogboy now - his frame isn't built up right now. Actually, his is the Shova I'm thinking of buying. He's 5'10" and I'm 6'5". I want to make sure the frame will fit me before I sell my car to pay for it. :)
If it helps I am 5'11" and have a 24+" reach. I also have a long Torso and when sitting I am about the same as someone that is 6'3". Hope that help some.

willie b

Chimp
Jul 28, 2007
Wake Forest, NC
I didn't realize he had taken appart yet. I rode Mark's when it was built up. I am 6'1" and it felt longish to me. The standover felt short. Like Cecil eluded, the large Shova LT is a long bike.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
I didn't realize he had taken appart yet. I rode Mark's when it was built up. I am 6'1" and it felt longish to me. The standover felt short. Like Cecil eluded, the large Shova LT is a long bike.
I never said it was a long bike. I only said I would be glad to let him ride mine and what Size I was. I know Patrick Morewood is around 6'3" and he designed the large around to fit him. I think for me its a little shorter than most Large frames. Most of all my frames in the past were Meds.

willie b

Chimp
Jul 28, 2007
Wake Forest, NC
I never said it was a long bike. I only said I would be glad to let him ride mine and what Size I was. I know Patrick Morewood is around 6'3" and he designed the large around to fit him. I think for me its a little shorter than most Large frames. Most of all my frames in the past were Meds.
I ride a 19" large and the TT on the Shova(600mm/23.6in) is an inch longer than mine. Numbers do not lie. I contend the ride is long side. The real thing I think a person that is 6'5" will hate is the standover. The Shova will feel like a BMX bike to someone that tall. But he may love it.

He should definitely ride before buying.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
I ride a 19" large and the TT on the Shova(600mm/23.6in) is an inch longer than mine. Numbers do not lie. I contend the ride is long side. The real thing I think a person that is 6'5" will hate is the standover. The Shova will feel like a BMX bike to someone that tall. But he may love it.

He should definitely ride before buying.
You said I said:

Like Cecil eluded, the large Shova LT is a long bike.
I never said that. I said the bike fit me great and what size person I am. The 23.6in is measured from Center HT to the top and center of the Seat Post when raised up for normal riding styles. This is how most bike companies do it now. That number is not right when your Seat Post is down most of the time for DH riding. Its only right when your Seat is up high enough for you to climb or normal riding. True TT length is measured from center of HT straight down the TT to center of the ST. That measures out to 22" on my large frame. I think he should wait and try one out first before buying one too. I was lucky enough to get to try the Small frame out first and thought it was 1" to short for me. That is why I am running the Large frame.

By the way snojcb, I just found out last night I will be up in Cary the weekend of the 10th. I will have my Shova LT with me then. You are more than welcome to try it out then.

snojcb

Chimp
Sep 27, 2007
Cary, NC
That's great to hear that you'll be up this way so soon. I'll PM you with phone and address so we can figure out when/where to meet up. I appreciate you letting me see how your bike fits.