Quantcast

Large sweep handlebars (10deg+)

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
OK, I haven't been on a mountain bike since September when I broke my neck.
That is until this past Sunday, when I put a new SS spacer kit on my Redline and took it for a lil spin around neighborhood. Hello Springtime.
Now I'm still not 100% but I'm getting there, and due to the injury and the healing process, my shoulders, chest and back have been tight.
That said, things felt a lil weird. The bars felt very straight, as if I had clamped a broomstick in my stem and put grips on. I soon got to thinking about new bars with an exaggerated sweep as a way to make me feel more at home. At least until I loosen up a bit more.

So I wanted to get some opinions from those who have ridden bars like these and some recommendations for what feels good and what might just be too much. I'm well aware of needing a new stem to maintain my reach position, but I've got a couple stems to play with if need be.

I know Ritchey has a new 10deg bar out which looks good because it is flat and I have a 29" front wheel. The Titec Jones is also on the table but looks like it's a bit much, especially with the pseudo bar ends for the levers.

Thoughts?
Thanks.

j.les

Monkey
Jul 21, 2007
Chicago
Surly make a flat bar with 15 degrees of sweep. Kalloy also makes a cheaper aluminum version. I really don't know whats out there in riser bars though.

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
Thanks guys, the Mary bars look to be the front runner at the moment if I were to go this route, but I still have doubts as to their performance in tight technical situations and steep climbs.
I don't want to sacrifice versatility for a lil extra comfort.
I guess I'm looking for someone to tell me that they felt like they could race with them. Or not.

AKinID

Chimp
Apr 26, 2009
J-Dub-
The Marys are definitely worth a look. I bought them about a year ago on somewhat of a stylishly motivated whim and have no regrets. I think they have actually improved my riding as a whole. The sweep is super comfortable while grinding and they climb as good their straighter mates. They do take a bit of getting used to on the down as they tend to sit you back a bit. In my case this is a plus as I am a nasty oversteerer-er. Good luck. Ride fast, take chances.

rludes025

Chimp
Apr 21, 2009
jsut curios what sweep are your current bars. I have had some neck issues and use a 9 degree on all my bikes. The more traditional XC bends feel weird to me know.

Last edited:

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
jsut curios what sweep are your current bars. I have had some neck issues and use a 9 degree on all my bikes. The more traditional XC bends feel weird to me know.
I think it's an 8deg on my Easton bars.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been riding more and have been feeling a lot more comfortable. I still want to try some new bars when i can spend the cash, and the On-One choices at at the top of my list.

alixta

Chimp
Mar 25, 2008
Brisvegas
I am using and loving "Bontrager Race Lite Big Sweep, 640mm width, 12d backsweep, 31.8mm" bars, they were take off from an '09 Paragon. I've Mary bars and they are cool for cruising around I don't find I have enough control. The Bontrager bars work for me.