Quantcast

Larsson hoping for big TT ride in Vuelta

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Gustav Larsson (Specialized bikes) is hoping for a big performance in Wednesday’s individual time trial stage at the Vuelta a España.</p><p>
</p><p>
The Olympic silver medalist will line up as one of the favorites for victory in the flat, 46km course around the bodegas along the Duero River.</p><p>
</p><p>
“I am feeling pretty good, for the time trial, hopefully I will have the legs there,” Larsson said. “I don’t quite have the climbing legs of the others right now, but I hope to have a good time trial. I have won a few time trials this year, so I would like to win one more time at least.”</p><p>
</p><p>
Larsson, 29, has developed into one of the most consistent riders against the clock, regularly</p><p>
knocking out victories in time trials. This year, he’s won TTs at the Giro d’Italia, the Vuelta a Communidad de Madrid and the Tour of Limousin, where he also won the overall title. </p><p>
</p><p>
The Swede with time trial speed will be donning his national champion’s jersey in the stage, where he will match up with Saxo Bank teammate and sometimes nemesis Fabian Cancellara.</p><p>
</p><p>
“There is some rivalry between us in the time trials, of course, I hope I can beat him. I am going to try and do my best,” Larsson explained. “He’s really good on the shorter time trial and he’s really good on the long ones, I know on the long ones I have a better chance. I know I can carry speed on longer time trials and that’s my best chance.”</p><p>
</p><p>
Following the Vuelta, Larsson will head to Australia for the world championships where he will be one of the favorites for the rainbow jersey.</p><p>
</p><p>
Last year, he was second to – you know who – Cancellara.*</p>

More...