Quantcast

Last minute brake question.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Alright Im sure this has been posted before, sorry if it has...please feel free to post the link to that section if it has.

But straight to the point...I have Hayes HFX-9 8" brakes that came stock on my '05 bighit. There great brakes, and I've had them for about a year, but Im looking for MORE reliable power. My budget is VERY limited, somewhere around 300bucks. I plan on going to whistler for atleast a week and I hear thats where the hayes get ripped apart so need something that can hold up to that and my daily FR and DH riding.

Universalcycles.com has 15% discount for me because im a returning customer (but only for some brake options). And Beyondbikes has 10% discount.

Basically I have been looking at the following brakes, and I have no experience with them, but the deals end on the 31st so I dont have time and need to get what I can when I can.

'07 Juicy 7 brakes - $300 shipped
Hope M4 '05 or M6 '05 (out of price range so far) approx. $400
Avid CODE (out of price range so far) approx. $391

My point being, I might be able to borrow some cash, but is it worth it? If I buy the juicys then I can buy some danger boy levers too. And I figured I would get goodridge lines before summer.

Does anyone have any first hand experience comparing any of these brakes to the Juicy 7s? What about with dangerboy levers and goodridge lines?

THANKS TO ALL WHO READ THIS POST!

:imstupid:

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
btw i would not consider any of the brakes that you have listed as really reliable (i know some one will start an argument over that comment). for the most reliable brakes out there that still perform really well get some shimano brakes. i had a set of deores that i only had to bleed once and i bleed them one other time just to get new oil in them. all other shimano brakes that i have worked with have had similar reliability. the codes are too new to tell how well they will work so i will not comment on them. the juice 7 have had a whole series of problems over the past couple of years (do a search). as for the hayes you know about them

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Levers and lines make good brakes better, they wont make OK brakes good....

Every saint Ive run or installed has been absolutely trouble free. Combine them with some goodridge and 8 inch rotors and youve got power to spare.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I tried a friends XC ride and he had Shimmano deore hydros. I loved the feel of them, but then again it was just on a paved road for 50miles, not much braking required.

Im looking at the Saints and I can get a set for around 200 bucks, but it says "levers NOT included" So I suppose that will set me back another 140 bucks leaving my grand total around $323.

Are they worth it is the question.
can they stand up to whistler?

Oh...and I changed out all my Shimmano stuff for Sram awhile back, think it will look weird together?
*looks are a big plus to me too*

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
thus far the shimano breaks for me are the only ones that i have liked over a long period of time (i'm now trying the Oro k24 from formula and they are good thus far but they are only 4 months old right now and that is not long enough for my to give a part the thumbs up.)

i have run the shimano brakes on some really long DH runs (7+ miles of steep) and i have literally had them smoking on one occasion and they still were working like a champ (though i don't know how). i demand alot out of my brake seeing i'm about 250 lbs w/o gear. btw it does not look odd to have shimano brakes with sram parts, that is the setup that i was using, and if someone comments on it just say that i like using the best part no matter who made them.

i try not the be a brand snob and i have used parts from any different manufactures throughout the years and hav come across some wicked good parts (like the shimano brakes)

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
thanks man, you guys have been a big help.

I think ima order the Saints tonight, I just cant deside on the rotor deals. It says Center lock AND 6 bolt but then on the checkout form it says centerlock. Im confused and the site isnt open for a few days.

I suppose I should just order them and hope that they come with 6 bolt? If not go to the local shop for some ehh, (damn set backs).

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
Alright Im sure this has been posted before, sorry if it has...please feel free to post the link to that section if it has.

But straight to the point...I have Hayes HFX-9 8" brakes that came stock on my '05 bighit. There great brakes, and I've had them for about a year, but Im looking for MORE reliable power. My budget is VERY limited, somewhere around 300bucks. I plan on going to whistler for atleast a week and I hear thats where the hayes get ripped apart so need something that can hold up to that and my daily FR and DH riding.

Universalcycles.com has 15% discount for me because im a returning customer (but only for some brake options). And Beyondbikes has 10% discount.

Basically I have been looking at the following brakes, and I have no experience with them, but the deals end on the 31st so I dont have time and need to get what I can when I can.

'07 Juicy 7 brakes - $300 shipped
Hope M4 '05 or M6 '05 (out of price range so far) approx. $400
Avid CODE (out of price range so far) approx. $391

My point being, I might be able to borrow some cash, but is it worth it? If I buy the juicys then I can buy some danger boy levers too. And I figured I would get goodridge lines before summer.

Does anyone have any first hand experience comparing any of these brakes to the Juicy 7s? What about with dangerboy levers and goodridge lines?

THANKS TO ALL WHO READ THIS POST!

:imstupid:
Why are your nine's Unreliable? have they failed?

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
There fine brakes...I just feel its time for more. And I would put some good ridge lines on and call it good, but from what my shop tells me the hayes arnt worth it.

Reportedly they get fried in whistler, so many times infact that my shop can make 10+ brakes out of the parts alone.

Basically I just want to replace them before I get screwd in whistler with no money. *Im slowly switching things out until I KNOW my bike can compare with the best and worst riding conditions out there*

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
Weird. If it was a design flaw, you'd think it would be the same part that failed consistently. It seems from your description that many different parts are failing indicating poor quality in general. Bummer.

Mine have worked flawlessly for many many miles, but I'll keep my eyes open.

RJ

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
must be...but who knows. I never said MY brakes werent reliable...just looking for something even more reliable. After a few crashes they just arnt what they used to be.

All I know, is I have felt brakes that are better then mine. Now I just want thoughs brakes to be mine :-).

Plus it helps I can get a good deal.

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
There fine brakes...I just feel its time for more. And I would put some good ridge lines on and call it good, but from what my shop tells me the hayes arnt worth it.

Reportedly they get fried in whistler, so many times infact that my shop can make 10+ brakes out of the parts alone.
Im not trying to argue with you, but I went to Whistler 3times this year, riding a total of 10days. One trip was 5days straight or riding the big mountain. My 9's performed fine, didn't fade, no problems. If you are looking for more power, then uprgrade, if you are looking for reliability, then dont.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
Your hfx9's should be fine, inspect the lines, flush the brake fluid and before you go to whistler make shure you have plenty of pad left on your brakes and bring some spare pads. if possible bring as many spare parts as possible because whistler is $$$$$$ if you have to buy anything.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
If you change out your brakes, you can build the Saints pretty cheap. You can get the calipers on special @ universal for 69 per side that come with 6 bolt and center lock rotors. The levers can be had for about $140, and they come with the lines. Shimano's are really easy to bleed, so you will be good to go.

I have owned a good sampling the brakes out there...XT's/Saints/older 4pots, Deores, Juicy's, Mono 4's, HFX 9's and Mags. I have liked Shimano the best by far and actually ended up picking up another pair of 4 pots after selling them 3 years ago because they were that good.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
If you change out your brakes, you can build the Saints pretty cheap. You can get the calipers on special @ universal for 69 per side that come with 6 bolt and center lock rotors. The levers can be had for about $140, and they come with the lines. Shimano's are really easy to bleed, so you will be good to go.

thats actually exactly what I was going to do :-)
came out to a totall of 303 bucks with the 6bolt 8" for up front, front and rear brakes, and the levers/lines, then Id use my adapter from the hayes.

unfortunatly, my mom desided that I because I dont have the 110 bucks I was going to get for my old brakes, that I cant get these.
(I would just sell my friend the old brakes to get these, but I have a race and dont know if the saints will be here in time *Jan 7th*)
GAY

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Alright, now I have one last question to save myself some money.

See, the Saint brakes have the "Boxxer" version avalible. But does that mean that the caliper is totally different? Or is it just the mount adapter thats different?

I have an adapter for 8" brakes from my hayes, and the Saint and Hayes both have post mount style calipers.

So yeah, could I get the "boxxer" version and just not use there adapter?

THANKS!
:-D

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
is there a reason magura hasn't been considered? they have been amazing for me, but i have the louise fr. i havn't ridden shimanos, but i never liked the super grabby feel of the juicys, though the ones i rode were 2005.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
is there a reason magura hasn't been considered? they have been amazing for me, but i have the louise fr. i havn't ridden shimanos, but i never liked the super grabby feel of the juicys, though the ones i rode were 2005.
yeah, they cost to much.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Alright, now I have one last question to save myself some money.

See, the Saint brakes have the "Boxxer" version avalible. But does that mean that the caliper is totally different? Or is it just the mount adapter thats different?

I have an adapter for 8" brakes from my hayes, and the Saint and Hayes both have post mount style calipers.

So yeah, could I get the "boxxer" version and just not use there adapter?

THANKS!
:-D

I'm pretty sure the Boxxer one is a IS mount instead of the post mount. I'm not 100% sure, but I checked out the Shimano site and it seems to point in that direction.

You can get an adaptor for them though. I have the IS standard for a pair of older XT 4 pots that has a post mount adaptor.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
hmm alright.

I figure since there for 8" rotors anyways, it wont make a big difference. I basically have 2 things that could happen with this "boxxer" version.

1)It ends up just being a different adapter and I can use my old adapter.
2)It ends up being a different type of caliper, and I just use some generic adapter avalible at any of my many local shops.

either way I think its all good :-)

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
If it's a brake mount designed for a boxxer...i whould think it only works with a boxxer...but then again half the time im wrong...and use a diffrent caliper? So that means a hayes adapter will work with a shmanio caliper?....im not sure about that...just get juciys there cheep....oh and dont go to that shop anymore.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
haha well they hook me up with parts, I do all my bike work on my own *except a few things that I dont have tools for*

and Im saying they assuming its just an adapter ill use my Hayes adapter *because Shimano is post mount too*. And if not, they I can get an adapter that fits the other adapter...haha.

El Caballo

Chimp
Nov 21, 2004
East Bay, West Coast
The reason the shop sees more broken Hayes brakes is because there are about 100x more Hayes brakes to begin with. Every bike in the world comes with HFX-9s stock.

People don't need new parts, they need to maintain their old parts. Of course if you swap out an old brake that's never had the fluid changed, needs a bleed, and probably needs new pads, the new brake will feel better! But unless something is leaking or physically broken, you can get the same effect by changing the fluid, getting new pads, bleeding properly, and possibly replacing the brake lines (but often this is not necessary).

It won't get you the "new gear" feeling, but it'll cost a lot less.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
yeah I feel ya on that.
And after doing alot of math...Saints will save me more money in the long run as far as bleeding, buying fluid, brakes, ect.

the number one thing is, they are SUPER easy to work with (after doing research). I can bleed them my self. And the hydrofluid I hear you can get at Jaguar dealers by the gallon real cheap and I have a jag...so that helps alot too.

I dont know I just am in the process of building my dream bike, eventually EVERYTHING on it will go. Brakes are a top priority right now.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I've heard great things about the codes. The Juicy's have a different feel than most breaks, so it will take a while to get used to the different feel, but work fine. The thing about the Juicy's is I would get better brake pads than what is shipped with them since it would seem the pad they ship don't dissipate the heat as well as they should.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
FYI, be sure to use mineral oil and not standard brake fluid...Mineral oil is pretty cheap, I know some peeps use the standard scent free oil in the drug store w/o any issues.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
try to find a set of older shimano deore xt brakes.Throw 200mm rotors on them.They are very reliable DH FR brakes and extremely strong.
they actually cost more then saints.
I suppose Ill just wait a month or so, see what the markets like...and purchase 06 saints of 06 M6, w/e is cheaper...

then throw some goodridges and dangerboys on.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
they actually cost more then saints.
I suppose Ill just wait a month or so, see what the markets like...and purchase 06 saints of 06 M6, w/e is cheaper...

then throw some goodridges and dangerboys on.
If you are interested I have some new and used XT's. Both the older 4pots, and newer styled 765(same as Saints, diff color).